Airfix Roland

First Name
Mike
This is the 1/72 Airfix Roland C.II, a kit originally tooled in 1965. It had absolutely no interior so I started scratch building one. I got a bit carried away, and then it seemed a shame to close it all up so I cut away one side of the fuselage. I challenged myself not to use any aftermarket on this model so everything's from the box (bag, actually) or scratch built including the home made decals.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Is there no end to your talents? It seems every build you post here is better than the last one - and you started at a level many of us only dream of reaching!

Gern

P

phikoleoputra

Awesome build Mike, quick question tho are those wires between the wings included in the box or u made them ur own? I read from some sites tha u can make those by heating sprues????

Leo

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful work mike , and you know I just love it when an old unloved tooling gets the full works and ends up like this , great build mate , cheers tony

D

Doug Hughes

I'm (almost) speechless. The detail is simply astounding in this (or any) scale. I love the colour scheme - a great alternative to usual light blue for this type. I'd like to rave about the laminated prop, too, but I go on about those a lot and people might accuse me of being a prop fetishist.

First Name
Dave
Wonderful work.Ive built this kit in my youth and it's basically a plastic blob in a bag.What you have done with it is quite remarkable.

First Name
Richard
Nice one Mike,

well I make it easy I will go with all of the above and so on.

no seriously, its some stunning workmanship you are showing here, really beautiful if you would put a background to it you could say its a flying museum plane.

Cheers Richi

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nothing more to add Mike. Great build, awesome scratch building and a fantastic idea to have the side open like that to show your work.

First Name
Mike
Thank you so much for the kind comments, I'm pleased that you like the little Roland. Leo, the rigging in this case is done with monofilament (fine fishing line) but you're right, it is possible to stretch styrene sprue over a candle and use that as rigging material.

W

Willi262

What else can be said? You, sir, are truly skilled and, I could only hope to absorb even an ounce of your talent...

Amazing, simply amazing!