Airfix Starter Kits - They're watching!

M

Mike

So, about a week after I joined this forum and posted my failed efforts of making anything good out of the HMS Victory Airfix Starter Set, and a few people decide to join in my madness and comment on how god awful the set is, Airfix posted this to their YouTube channel (yeah, I know, Airfix have a YouTube channel!)

So after ten minutes of watching, I put down the one I was in the middle of airbrushing and decided to pick up a new box and see if I (still a newbie) could make anything decent out of it with just the paints and brush that's in the kit (admittedly I did use steel paint from another kit, masking tape, modelling sanding files and the Revell glue with the in-built pointy bit rather than ripping up the box):

OK, fair enough, that's way better than my first two attempts with the HMS Victory starter kit and the paints it came with!

In the video it talks about having a streaky base coat made up of those acrylic paints, but for further applications to be watered down with tap water. It's not great (especially compared to the airbrush), but that trick gave me way more success than anything with these paints on the Victory.

This leads me to a couple of problems. I have now spent a fortune on various enamel paints and thinners. I have three models on the go at the moment, because enamel paints take SSOOOO long to dry that I carry on with another build. Whereas this model was done in one evening because the paint dries so quickly.

The massive thing for me is that I live in a tiny house which means the only ventilation is by having the back door open. Fine in this September heat wave, but in a few weeks time I'll be freezing my ass off or die of thinning poisoning.

So now, I find myself very tempted to make the switch to Acrylics and dump the fortune I've spent on Enamels...

DAMN YOU AIRFIX!

Last edited:
S

selfps

I think you did well with what you used because the airfix youtube effort is pants

Last edited:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Michael that Spitfire looks great.

As for the paints I switched to acrylic paint ages ago due to the smell, but I use enamel paints from time to time,there are a few on here that only use enamel paint. So why get rid of the enamel

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
\ said:
I think you did well with what you used because the airfix youtube effort is pants
lol.....its not Jons usual standard since he did build it oob even using the gitset paints (which as we all know should immediatly be dumped in the bin on opening the box) to show it can be done using just what comes with the set

i rarely use enamels these day..........just for detail work with a brush and for washes with white spirit as thinner......acrylics are so much nicer

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MPal

As an example for an absolute beginner, i think the youtube one is ok. Hopefully a good way to show people its possible to make an ok model without having to buy lots of extra stuff.

I think you have done a great job of yours too, looks good.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Well I can't give an opinion on your builds Michael because they are not showing on my screen but what I will say is I think your trying to run before you can walk , I personally would just have got the kit built it painted it and then stuck it on a shelf and started the next one.

This isn't a criticism I just think your missing out on a lot of fun by cocking up , there's nothing better than finishing a build and then looking at it in the morning to see you've used a dark green instead of a dark grey :D

I have some builds on my shelves I laugh at now but I see the steady improvement as I go along.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I think that the clip-fit kits are great for getting youngsters started and then to move forward to these starter kits, cheap and they can mess with them and just have fun.

Don't chuck your enamels...you will regret it. They are always useful and can be used for washes and for dio boards etc.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Aaron
1 min 45 secs into the video...Please don't ever remove parts off the sprue like this, smh :confused:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
1 min 45 secs into the video...Please don't ever remove parts off the sprue like this, smh :confused:
Agree, that is a shocking piece of advice.

Your Spitfire looks great Michael, nice work. Don't throw your enamels away for the sake of quick-drying paint. Each have their own benefits and capabilities. Lots of threads already on the pros and cons of each type of paint.

D

dubster72

\ said:
Isn't that for the young 'uns watching who shouldn't have sharp knives in their hands? its how I did it as a kid!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You're probably right Patrick, but the youngsters have got to start using tools sooner or later.

The construction apprentices at my last job were all 16+ with tool boxes full of chisels, saws, drills etc - but they weren't allowed to have a craft knife!

First Name
Dave
I am back after alot of years away but just cannot get to grips with acrylic but each to they're own Im sure though even if they appear dry they still need the same time to dry as enamels Im sure I'll be put straight if this is not the case.

The Spit looks good to me.

Dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I think the drying time for acrylics is different to the curing time.

After they're touch dry, which is usually a few minutes, you can paint over them or carry on building with them as long as you handle them gently.

If you want to dry brush or mask them, which is generally rougher handling, then you should leave them to cure properly, most people reckon overnight is usually enough, or you risk pulling up the paint.

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just watched the video, Now I'm not the worlds best modeller but I wouldn't be able to carry on if I don't file away any bits where the bit was joined to the sprue. Also that gap in the fuselage would have to be filled. This said, the starter kits was how I got back into building. :smiling3:

M

Mike

\ said:
As an example for an absolute beginner, i think the youtube one is ok. Hopefully a good way to show people its possible to make an ok model without having to buy lots of extra stuff.
Totally agree. Dear Airfix, dump your HMS Victory starter set. I know you're watching this forum, your extremely conveniently timed YouTube clip proves it

Last edited:
M

Mike

\ said:
I think that the clip-fit kits are great for getting youngsters started and then to move forward to these starter kits, cheap and they can mess with them and just have fun.
Interestingly, I was thinking about getting a couple of cheap snap fit kits to learn how to do weathering!!

M

Mike

\ said:
I found it most amusing when there was clearly a dubbed in bit that mentioned if you had a nail file to use it! When I saw it I was thinking What The Fudge?!?!

M

Mike

And finally, fair point to the not throwing away the enamels. By ditch I meant put it in the cupboard and buy new Acrylics for what I'm working on...

Either way, it's more money - this hobby is getting expensive!

M

Mike

Right, so I've picked up some Acrylics to match those on the Airfix Messerschmitt Bf 109 Starter Kit I had started yesterday and will get the airbrush on it tonight. Most looking forward to it, especially if the paint dries at the same time I clean the airbrush! No more waiting hours before applying next colour!

Quick note on this starter kit, this Messerschmitt Bf 109 is a serious step up in quality, absolutely exquisite tiny detail, there are realistic pedals to be applied and the panel lines are really detailed, quite looking forward to this one!

ps; there were pedals, I dropped them and they being so tiny they've gone to the hoover collection area, i.e. the carpet!