Airfix Tiger 1 Tank - 1st build in, erm, 40 years!

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Ok, so here will be my first build since I was about 14, so well over 40 years ago! :thumb2:
Actually I think I did do a very poor attempt at an Airfix German E-boat when I was about 30, think it was a present from my wife? anyway I digress....

This will be a small scale (1/72) Airfix starter model (gift set which includes paint and poly cement).
I will be trying to do a good build, including painting and I will also try my first proper go at weathering, not just glue it and run!

Hopefully I will be starting this model this week, maybe next week. I'm in no rush so will get round to it when I can. I have watched a few YT vids already, on this specific model, so hopefully it will not be too difficult. The weathering part will be a new experience for me, as although I used to paint my models as a young'n, I was not very good and did not do any weathering or other effects at that time.

I will update the thread with the build as I go, although to be fair I don't expect it to take too long once I get started, it is quite a small little model?
Maybe one day (few hours) for the build, one day (few hours) for the initial painting and maybe another day (few hours) for the weathering? I know its not a race, but I also know I'm not going to spend months on this 1st model.

As this is my first build for ages, it will be me just dipping my toe back into the hobby. I am not putting any pressure on myself to do a great build, or ultra realistic effects, etc, just a competent build with no glaring mistakes will do me fine as far as i am concerned. And it will be a learning experience for me, as I have watched many, many, MANY YT vids over the last few months, so have absorbed a lot of info, but may well not actually put it into practice! But I'll try.... ;)

I think I need to post up some pics, so here goes... Wish me luck! :thumb2:
Airfix Tiger1 Tank Jan2024_ (2).jpgAirfix Tiger1 Tank Jan2024_ (3).jpgAirfix Tiger1 Tank Jan2024_ (1).jpg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Nice one Peter. Look forward to following your build. Won't get much out of me as I like armour but not knowledgeable enough to advise on armour.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Good choice as in a great little kit there Peter,
It's too small, scale wise, for me, but I'll certainly be following your progress mate :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking forward to seeing how you get on Peter. These newer Airfix kits are generally rather good. Good idea to create this thread. People will be positive and support your build.
Just take your time, dry fit before committing to glue and try to work out what may need painting early as sometimes further on in a build previous parts can't be reached with a paint brush.
And above all - HAVE FUN!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Peter, all good advise.

The only thing I would add is don't get bogged down with all the stuff on the web. Do your own thing. We all have slightly different styles and methods of building models.

Try not to copy other's builds. Frustration will be your companion. "Why is mine not like that?" Go at it at your own pace.

It's your model, be happy with the end result. With each model completed you will improve.

Take your time and as Jim writes - HAVE FUN!

Ron

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good luck with the build Peter. I have this in the stash and so will follow with interest.

And remember, Rome wasn't built in a day..... Just take your time and most importantly, enjoy it as Mike said.

ATB.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
don't get bogged down with all the stuff on the web. Do your own thing. We all have slightly different styles and methods of building models.
Exactly. One of the biggest mistakes to make, IMHO, is to compare your work to that of people with a lot more experience and feel your own effort is not up to scratch. This is a good road to unhappiness.

Rather, build it for yourself, and realise that your skill will improve as you build more models. You don’t have anyone else to please with it but yourself.

As for the actual model: I’ve never built it, in fact never seen it up close, but it looks decent enough for a first model in ages. At least you don’t have the Tiger’s fifty wheels per side to deal with, so the hardest part of the model is already avoided :smiling3:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Peter, all good advise.

The only thing I would add is don't get bogged down with all the stuff on the web. Do your own thing. We all have slightly different styles and methods of building models.

Try not to copy other's builds. Frustration will be your companion. "Why is mine not like that?" Go at it at your own pace.

It's your model, be happy with the end result. With each model completed you will improve.

Take your time and as Jim writes - HAVE FUN!

Ron
Spot on Ron

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Couple more photos, taken today.... :smiling4:
I was going to start the model today, but realised my study needed a good tidy up!
So I ended up doing that instead, shredded bin full of old docs, filed away loads of docs dotted around, gave the room a good dust and clean, turned two carrier bags of old computer stuff, cables etc, into one carrier bag. (NB: used to build my own gaming pcs a few years back, but now stick to consoles and laptops, so don't need all the old IT stuff I had accumulated.)
Packed away my gaming steering wheel and pedals from the desk, I don't really use it anymore, which cleared half the desk, so more room for modelling! :thumb2:;):thumb2:
Also had my new turntable delivered today, so that has now got its own place on the desk.
Pics are close ups of the sprues showing a bit more detail, apologies for my cr*ppy phone pics!

IMG_20240104_150104743.jpgIMG_20240104_145834784.jpgIMG_20240104_145844750.jpgIMG_20240104_145849308.jpgIMG_20240104_145857580.jpgIMG_20240104_145901264.jpgIMG_20240104_145955414.jpgIMG_20240104_150003762.jpgIMG_20240104_150017596_HDR.jpg
Model turntable 4jan24.jpg

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
There are those that would rather have them with out the extra task of clicking on the thumbnail... lol.
Pictures in Landscape format.... the same as a computer screen are also appreciated as they fit better on the screen for our viewing pleasure.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thats nice, as someone who hates single link tracks those look far better.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Those parts look pretty good for a 1:72 scale kit, certainly a quick-assembly one like this. Tip: leave the whole of the wheels-and-track units off until after painting :smiling3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
If it were mine I'd scrape off all the little details like the shovel, sledge, jack block etc. and find some aftermarket accessories to bring it to life. Jakko is right about the mouldings....very flash free to your benefit. enjoy the build!:thumb2: