All the gear, and no idea!

Navdataman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
So, a bit about me. Like many here, I have been away from the hobby forever...Well since my late teens/early 20s (64 now). Looking to find something to occupy me when I retire, my thoughts turned to scale modeling. I always enjoyed it, and thought I was pretty good at it...Having seen the stuff people are making nowadays "good" may have been a bit optimistic on my part!

Nevertheless, I'm still going to do it :smiling: and after reading many forums, watching Youtube, etc. etc. I've got enough stuff (tools, glues, paints, airbrush, compressor etc together to make a start. (In the old days, Airfix polystyrene cement in tubes, Airfix paint and a couple of brushes, and my mums nailfile were all I had). The hobby has moved on somewhat!!

Primarily I used to build aircraft or tanks, and that may well be the direction I head in eventually, however my first foray into modeling this time around will be the wonderful world of Gerry Anderson and Thunderbirds!

This serves many purposes...I can relive my childhood, and remember how much my dad liked the machines (he thought the program was a bit rubbish, but not the machines) and also gives me a fairly gentle reintroduction to modeling. The Aoshima/AIP kits are pretty basic, and any extras I want to add can have a degree of artistic licence applied, as the models in the actual TV program were all prone to change between camera shots/angles. ;)

I have ten different models in my "stash" and I don't intend to ever have many more than that, and my first build will be Pod 5 (Laboratory Pod) where I will try to put some detail inside the pod. At 1/350 scale there's not a lot of room, but I'm hoping at such a small scale, any sloppy model making skills on my part will be practically invisible, plus I need to learn how to use an airbrush. There is no time frame on this, but it will happen!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have ten different models in my "stash" and I don't intend to ever have many more than that......
....HA, yeah, like that's gonna happen!!:tongue-out2::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:;)
Welcome to the site,(and back to the hobby), from me,I look forward to seeing you around the parish...
.... btw,"Thunderbirds" still holds fond memories for me too,and I have the Aoshima FAB1 in the stash awaiting building,so I'll be looking out for your builds,as and when of course :thumb2:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Welcome Stephen. That was me until the 10 in the stash bit!! :smiling2:

I'm a returnee to the hobby after a very long absence. It certainly has changed and not in a small way. So much choice, so many after market bits and the plus - this forum for advice and friendships.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Welcome, Stephen, to a great forum. We are very friendly, supportive and between the members there is a great depth of knowledge. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.
I have fond memories of Thunderbirds. I look forward to seeing some of your models.

Last edited:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Welcome Stephen.

10 sounds like a very sensible number. I don't think I've ever had that many even, I build em too quick! :smiling5:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
SAME Here Steven i loved the T- BIRDS an built my models of TB-1 AN 2 an before that i loved FIREBALL XL5 by gerry andeson an met the gent at a school fete an i had a little chat with him about how he made my childhood an he was very happy to hear that as i built a big 4 ft model of FIREBALL XL5 an fitted it to a stand so im lookin forward to seein your models greatly so what are the models in your stash then ?
ATB
Chrisb

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Steven .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Welcome Steven. T Birds eh, well, what’s not to like…..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome back to the ever expanding universe we call scale modelling. Things have changed over 40 odd years haven't they.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
"(In the old days, Airfix polystyrene cement in tubes, Airfix paint and a couple of brushes, and my mums nailfile were all I had)."

I think you will find that those of us over 70 are still using the above... (liar). :rolling:

Welcome to the forum, we look forward to seeing your work, do not be ashamed or embarrased, the only criticism you will get will be positive and helpful.
Mike.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Welcome on deck mate (Stephen, Steven, Steve?) Will you include the wires ... ?
Steve

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Stephen,
welcome to the forum! Polystyrene glue in tubes? Do you remember the little gel capsules of glue? Looking very similar to Omega 3 capsules!! As you've found. things have changed somewhat in the hobby, but the enjoyment still remains, - as long as your head isn't turned by rivet counters!
Dave

Navdataman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wow, I can't believe the number of replies, and all so friendly and positive ;)

Waspie... And I suppose to all of the returnees to the hobby. I think the only negative change to model making in the last forty odd years that springs to mind? My eyes!!

Boatman...My "stash" is 100% Thunderbirds:
Fab 1, TB 4 and TB 5 with a tiny TB 3. Then at 1/350 I have:
TB 2 with a microscopic TB 4.
TB 2 and launch bay and TB 2 Container dock. (Meaning I have two TB 2's and seven pods, which gives me a bit of a margin for error...I'll get everything right eventually, but not necessarily first time!!).
TB1 and the launch bay.
TB3 and the launch bay. and another TB3 without the launch bay (more practice).
Finally I also have the Fireflash.

Airborne1... Stephen is really only used by my mum, and it invariably means I'm in trouble! Steve is what everyone else calls me (in earshot anyway). Including the wires? I'm not planning to :smiling:

Dave Ward... I had completely forgotten the glue capsules. Rivet counters? Hmmm, well I can get a bit ocd myself, but not at 1/350 scale ;)

I think that is all of the questions answered, and I really feel that I belong here now!! I have just lost my first piece (a roller on the bottom of the pod) to the carpet monster! I know exactly where it is, but I have to move so much stuff to get to it with much bending down. For now I'll utilise one of the spares.

Airbrush, compressor and spray booth have all just arrived, so I guess I should crack on setting stuff up and working out how to use it. Then I'll work out how to post actual pictures and start a thread showing my progress (or otherwise)...How long can a 1/350 scale pod take? In "new" money it's only 80mm long 60mm wide and 50mm high and I want it self contained with lights. My Imagination probably exceeds my modeling skills at this point, but it'll be fun. ttfn

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ll look forward to Fireflash…..the most unreliable and dangerous aircraft ever invented LOL…..