All the gear..no idea!!

First Name
Stu
All the gear and no idea.jpg

OK, so fairly major back room tidy up and I can delay "starting" no longer. As per previous post, I have a Tamiya waiting in the wings, but thought I would start on something "simpler" as I have not done any modelling for 40+ years.

After working out how to get the cap of the glue I have finally made a start on this model that a friend gave me for X-mas a year ago.

So far I have also managed to spill the paint (luckily on a cardboard sheet). Also dropped on of the smallest parts on the floor....(need to get a plane carpet).

After studying the plans (such as they are), realised that one of the items listed is not actually a plastic part but a transfer. (Dashboard/panel). Great idea and I actually managed to get it off the backing paper and placed in the appropriate position but when handling the part later it just fell off?! (Managed to "glue" it back on...but not ideal.

Managed to achieve a good "weathering effect" on the cockpit area without meaning to, just seemed to happen as I handled the parts...not used to acrylic so perhaps handled the parts too soon?..I will try "patching them up" once partially assembled...

Realised I need to get some decent magnifying glassed......any recommendation welcome. Probably a good indication that I need to focus on "bigger" models (parts).

Although I "cleaned" the sprues first as suggested, some parts simply refuse to "paint". Also noticed that when painting, after applying the paint if I go back to paint the same area, it just tends to remove the paint that is already there?....Does not bode well for when I paint the main body / wings!!

Spent considerable time painting as much stuff as I could on the sprue, only to find out I have to scrape most of it off to actually glue the parts together!

I also got a small pot of the Tamiya quick dry "thin" glue as it looked like the dogs dangly bits on one of the youtube vids I have been watching.

So far an "enjoyable" (!?) couple of hours with not a lot to show for it....but here's hoping for some cr@p weather so I can continue before the OH nags me to do "other jobs" that need doing outside at this time of year :smiling3:... (I don't think she is ever going to understand...but at least it means that I can go to some shows by myself when / if the world ever gets back to normal!!)

Looking at the other simply incredible models that are on display on this forum a am unlikely to be posting any pics of the actual model anytime soon!!

...and thanks for all the great input on my previous / first post....

...happy modelling....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Realised I need to get some decent magnifying glassed......any recommendation welcome. Probably a good indication that I need to focus on "bigger" models (parts).
(Stu Quote)

HI Stu i use for building models i use one of these head magnifiyiers pic below an they have leds lights built in so you can see more easy an they have several magnifcations lenses that just pull down an when you release them they spring back up i buy the cheap ones in the picture an they are not that well made but they do me ok an really help seeing the small parts an this one in pic is about £8'99p an you can get better one but are dearer hope this helps you
chris s-l225TGPPNIT5.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another option for magnified vision is 3.0 reading glasses such as you can get from Superdrug etc.....no good if you already wear glasses, but I found them helpful when I used to wear contacts...
Tool kit looks good....
As to painting, once you apply acrylic paint you must let it dry before over painting or it will just lift . Not sure why things are refusing to take paint though? What primer are you using?
Lastly, don’t be afraid to post.....we are all interested and nobody will judge your efforts except you.

First Name
Stu
Hi all and ta for the tips.....

re primer ..not using any ?....not something I have considered...am I being silly?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've don't usually use primer, it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Pete

gothicgeek

SMF Supporter
First Name
mark
I always use primer, either halfords rattle can or Vallejo Surface primer ( can be brushed or airbrushed and can be mixed with acrylic paint )

First Name
Stu
..spray on / rattle can primer seems like a good idea???.....any recommendations...ideally something I can order of Amazon?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Stu, in the past I didn't prime my builds and went straight to painting them because there wasn't any sanding or filler used or scraps of plastic or PE attached. Now that I have progressed with filling and PE I prime because it helps neutralise the surface color and medium that were used so when I paint I don't have to apply thick coats just to cover or get it even.
Don't worry about scaring any of us with your build, we've seen and done some awful ones in our lifetime. It would be easier to spot the problem and offer guidance or suggestions.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
After studying the plans (such as they are), realised that one of the items listed is not actually a plastic part but a transfer. (Dashboard/panel). Great idea and I actually managed to get it off the backing paper and placed in the appropriate position but when handling the part later it just fell off?! (Managed to "glue" it back on...but not ideal.
With “get it off the backing paper”, you mean you soaked it off, right? If not, then there’s your problem :smiling3:

Assuming you were smart enough to soak it off, then it’s probably that you applied it to bare plastic. In my experience, the only decals that don’t mind going onto bare plastic, are the old Matchbox ones from 30+ years ago — and not the Revell re-issues of the past 25 years or so. If this is indeed what you did, then on your next model, just paint the instrument panel in its basic colour and when that’s dry, add the decal. It shouldn’t come off then (hopefully!).

But in all cases where decals come off, you can usually glue them back on easily enough with thinned PVA glue.

Although I "cleaned" the sprues first as suggested, some parts simply refuse to "paint". Also noticed that when painting, after applying the paint if I go back to paint the same area, it just tends to remove the paint that is already there?....Does not bode well for when I paint the main body / wings!!
Acrylic paint can be easy to lift off again if you go over it with your brush before it’s fully hardened. If this happens, just leave it for an hour (or a day) and then paint a second coat over it. In general, if you use a brush to paint larger areas, you will need to apply two coats anyway to get it to cover.

Spent considerable time painting as much stuff as I could on the sprue, only to find out I have to scrape most of it off to actually glue the parts together!
Some parts are better painted on the sprue, but most after assembly (is my opinion, anyway). Recognising which is which is a big step to becoming an experienced modeller :smiling3:

Looking at the other simply incredible models that are on display on this forum a am unlikely to be posting any pics of the actual model anytime soon!!
Post them anyway. Everybody who builds those models you think are great, started exactly where you are now, and by posting your photos, other people may be able to give you some pointers for how to make your next model better (or easier :smiling3:).

Last edited:

gothicgeek

SMF Supporter
First Name
mark
..spray on / rattle can primer seems like a good idea???.....any recommendations...ideally something I can order of Amazon?
As said the Shop here is a great starting point, if your in the uk Halfords plastic primer is good, if your in the north of England Boyes do an excellent equivalent..

First Name
Stu
..OH=Other half....SWN=she who nags, (just made that one up)........SWMBO=She who must be obeyed...

First Name
Stu
ref transparency...yes soaked it off, really pleased with myself as it seemed to work well, (my first time in 40+ years). But when handling the assembly a little later it just seemed to "peel off". ...and yes it was on bare plastic, so will "paint" prior to applying in future...ta for the tip.

Not too bothered about this build as it is very much a "test". I also brought a cheapie 1/72 Airfix tiger starter kit to practice on before attempting the Tamiya...but I think I may be getting another couple of "tests" in beforehand!

Also realised I probably didn't leave the paint long enough to properly dry?....got a bit carried away as I wanted to "assemble" something ASAP!!

..and many thanks to all for the advice...I have a long way to go!!....

Will order some *3 magnifiers, (I use *2 anyway).

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Regards the magnification thing, I use one of these off eBay, (cheapy (about £6.50) but works for the inside of watches as well) up to 3.5x magnification.
1615190430515.png

D

Deleted member 5496

Stu just love your narrative. Very funny. Brings back memories.

Also a Stewart but surname. Bit of history. Stewart was derived from two brothers who came over from Brittany (touching distance from Jersey my abode) with William the Conqueror & dispatched to Scotland as High Stewards. Hence Stewart. No truth in the rumour that Nicola Sturgeon was their mother but Alec Salmond was definetly their father.

Stuart. Mary Queeen of Scots (Nicola Sturgeon was her mother) was despatched to France to be educated as England & Scotland were at logger heads, nothing changes. The French cannot pronounce "W" (good reason for leaving the EU phew) So Mary was dumped back in Scotland as a Stuart. Edinburgh types changed to Stuart. Glasgow types stayed Stewart.

Laurie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Stu
Modelling is no different to any other hobby. You do it because you enjoy it, you study and learn and get better. What suits you will be an amalgamation of all you read, see and admire. Practice makes perfect so each model will increase you knowledge. For me and many others being part of a forum is a vital part of their hobby and this forum is one of the best.
Stu just love your narrative. Very funny. Brings back memories.
Totally agree.
Lastly, don’t be afraid to post.....we are all interested and nobody will judge your efforts except you.
Go for it. No one on here will be unkind.
Jim