An American Spy Ship?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi All,
The mojo on dios has slacken so I've gone to the dark side of scratch building a project that I have been procrastinating for nearly a year. I was asked to build a spyship for a gentleman who served with it when he was drafted during the Vietnam War. That gentleman is Greg who I met at last years Penang Show. He had great stories of his exploits and time as an Orderly on board the USS Oxford. All he knew when he was drafted was to report to AGTR-1 and found it was a converted Liberty ship. He'd never seen so many antennas in his life on one ship and didn't know exactly what they were for until he got to know the sailors that were his buddies on his tour of duty. There were five or more of these vessels converted, three were from the Liberty class and Oxford was the former Samuel R Aitken. Here's a short history on the USS Oxford from Wikipedia...which collaborates what Greg was talking about.

2- photo of USS Oxford 8-1961.jpg4206141145_46c188f699_b.jpg

USS Oxford (AGTR-1/AG-159) was an Oxford-class technical research ship (a class of US spy ships of the early Cold War), acquired by the U.S. Navy in 1960 and converted for the task of conducting "research in the reception of electromagnetic propagations" (electronic signals intelligence gathering). She was originally built during World War II as a Liberty-type cargo ship originally named the Samuel R. Aitken.

Samuel R. Aitken's civilian life
The second ship eventually to be named Oxford by the Navy, AGTR-1, a Liberty ship, was laid down 23 June 1945 under Maritime Commission contract by the New England Shipbuilding Corp. of Portland, Maine as a merchant marine naval cargo ship; launched 31 July 1945 as Samuel R. Aitken (MCE–3127); sponsored by Mrs. Margaret C. Aitken; and delivered to the Maritime Commission 25 August 1945.
As Samuel R. Aitken she served the merchant fleet, first with the Moore-McCormack Steam Ship Lines and then with the Arnold Bernstein Line. She was laid up 10 April 1948 in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, in Wilmington, North Carolina.

Conversion to technical research ship Oxford AG-159
In October 1960, the Samuel R. Aitken was towed to the New York Naval Shipyard, Brooklyn, New York, for conversion to an electronic spy ship. Renamed USS Oxford (AG–159) on 25 November 1960, she was commissioned at New York on 8 July 1961, Commander Howard R. Lund in command. She reported to Norfolk, Virginia, 11 September 1961 for duty with the Service Force, Atlantic Fleet, and shortly thereafter conducted shakedown out of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Oxford was designed to conduct research in the reception of electromagnetic propagations, an open secret phrase for gathering electronic signals military intelligence (SIGINT). Equipped with the latest antenna systems and measuring devices, she was a highly sophisticated and mobile station which could steam to various parts of the world to participate in the Navy's "comprehensive program of research and development projects in communications" (electronic spying). Because of the immediate or potential military applications of her work, much of Oxford's employment was classified.

Cold War Service
Cuban Missile Crisis
In the fall of 1962, the Oxford had been making slow figure-eight patterns in the waters just off the coast of Havana, Cuba. Its mission had been to eavesdrop on Cuban microwave communications throughout the island. The workings of the microwave system in Cuba were well known to the Americans since they had acquired the design documents from the Radio Corporation of America which had installed the system during the Batista era. The Oxford had been able to listen in on the Cuban secret police, the Cuban navy, air defences, and civil aviation. On 15 September 1962, radar technicians on board the Oxford were able to detect the presence of Soviet P-12 radar known to NATO as "Spoon Rest". This suggested that the Soviets had secretly upgraded the target tracking and acquisition systems in Cuba. On 27 October 1962, "Black Saturday", the Oxford discovered a breakthrough in the Soviet defenses on the island when it detected radar signals from SAM missile sites near Mariel. This discovery would soon alter both low flying F-8 Crusader photo missions and high altitude U-2 spy plane reconnaissance flights over the island.[1]

A "first" in moon bounce communications
One of Oxford's publicized operations took place 15 December 1961 when she became the first ship to receive a message from a shore based facility via the moon successfully. Next she departed Norfolk, Virginia, 4 January 1962 for a South Atlantic Ocean deployment, returning four months later. Another four month South Atlantic deployment followed in May 1963, after which Oxford underwent overhaul at Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Portsmouth, Virginia.
January 1964 brought refresher training at Guantanamo Bay, and from 22 February until 10 June 1964 Oxford conducted further "research operations" in South Atlantic and Pacific Ocean waters.

Re-designated AGTR-1
Oxford (AG-159) was re-designated technical research ship (AGTR–1) on 1 April 1964. She departed 4 August on yet another South Atlantic cruise, conducting research not only in electromagnetic reception, but also in oceanography and related areas. She returned to Norfolk 1 December.
Oxford steamed for Africa 3 February 1965, calling at Las Palmas, Canary Islands, Lagos, Nigeria, and Durban, South Africa. A message arrived 26 May reassigning the ship to the U.S. Pacific Fleet, with a new home port at San Diego, California. She stood out of Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, 16 June for a one-month deployment to the South China Sea, and thus set the pattern for her operations into 1969.

Next will be the kit and usual sprue shots...

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I was at first skeptical about building this ship as the stories Greg was talking about was really stretching the imagination even when he produced a print out of blurred images of his ship. I was taken a back when the guys at the show pointed at me when Greg asked who could customize the Liberty kit he had into the Oxford. He gave me what he could as references and a bag of kits and said he'll pay for the workmanship and asked me to think about it until the next show. I researched and found more detail from a couple of sites with better photos...unfortunately no plans. I thought it was going to be a mammoth task but in the last two weeks I have made good progress and liking the build.
Here's the kit...

G1.jpg

The sprue layout doesn't look like much, I had already started on the deck so I just placed it back onto the sprue for the photo.

G2.jpgG3.jpg

I was told by Greg that the cargo hold tops were removed and there was only the main deck.

G4.jpg

There was a large motor launch probably the captains on the fore-deck, references show that and a pick-up truck.

G5.jpgG6.jpg

Although there was no raised cargo hold I kept seeing a raised deck which turned out to be some form of wave or weather breakers which I have found some suitable I-beams and roughly dry fitted here.

G7.jpg

I drilled out portholes and marked areas for door hatches and also added missing hull walls as the Oxford had flush sides all round.

G8.jpg

More to come later as I am already up to the bridge detail.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
That is a really interesting ship - quite a history. I like the name "Technical Research Ship" meaning "Spy Ship" :smiling:
Looks like you've already made good progress.
Jim

First Name
Wouter
What an interesting subject Richard, nice one. And good start too it seems. Looking forward how this unfolds!

Cheers

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Definition of a spy :
: one that spies:
a : one who keeps secret watch on a person or thing to obtain information
b : a person employed by one nation to secretly convey classified information of strategic importance to another nation
Key word 'secret' - you can hardly say that the aerial covered ship is secret, or covert! Eavesdropping/electronic intelligence gathering is just a big a part of modern warfare as the sleek destroyer, or mammoth aircraft carrier, just not as sexy! Fair play for modelling such an interesting subject! :thumb2:
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you Gentlemen...I spy there are quite a few here so will round up more chairs and called up for a Take-Away van with refreshments, you name it they got it. :smiling2:

Jim, ya I was quite taken aback on some of the events in history that it took part in.
Ralf, like a regular porcupine. :tears-of-joy:
Paul, I'm liking it too.
Wouter, I hope this interest can last till it's finished, don't want to disappoint.
Peter, ya I had a year to sift through and study the images. Not many are hi-res and get blurred when enlarged. Quite a few guesses here and there.
Dave, I was just telling a friend that the two super powers then didn't bother hiding what they had and he replied they just want to show who has the bigger set of b....s :tears-of-joy:
Neil, well once I'm through with her she won't look much like a Liberty ship.

Thanks for dropping in guys.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, here's the next load of progress shots...

G9.jpg

I thinned the watchamacallit to a respectable scale and drilled out all the holes.

G10.jpg

Used part of the rear elevated deck discarding the rest and built up the rear section where the main mast and electronics were housed. This area looked the most different after the modifications with the square box like structure.

G11.jpgG12.jpg

I had to shave off all the gun tubs on the upper main structure just next to the bridge and remove the molded on stairs and the top of the skylight vents on the deck below. All of the ventilation systems were changed.

G13.jpg

The smoke stack received a new ring which I roughly cut out and sanded down once fitted to the funnel.

G14.jpg

I used two layers of thin plasticard for the bridge cover, added extensions to the wing walkways and added a box structure just behind the smokestack with extended lips for a searchlight station and a square thin box which I have no idea what it is.

G17.jpg

There's more later. So far I've done the basic structures and will be cleaning up and detailing once I get it looking like the reference pictures.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, the close ups sure look rough and messy. Anyway just to show you the stage I'm at currently before continuing the build process of a few days back...

G23.jpg

Back to the build...in between the front and rear deck-house is one of the points of entry into the cargo hold converted decks below. These were container like structures with hatches. Above them are two of the many A/C condensers that help with cooling the interior and the hot electronic equipment. I counted about 12 of these units. The box like structure infront of the entrance is another conduit for an antenna mast.

G16.jpg

Below is the overall basic modifications that I've done so far for the deck and both the deck-houses. You can see at least six of those A/C condensers. More will be added when I go into the detailing.

G15.jpg

I worked on the covered side walk as the kit only came with just he strip above. So I fashioned the supports (yet to be thinned further) that will flush with the hull on both sides and rod supports will be added later in various thickness. All these modifications was from the help of the image below which was the only real close-up photographed from another ship.

G19.jpg

G28.jpg

The ventilation units were styrene rod...I drilled out extra portholes in the front and added bridge windows from a LionRoar PE set. The crane supports are half shaped plastic rods. I have to find out from Greg if the weather breakers start from the deck-house or from the first set of side beam supports. I don't have any image angle to verify that.

G20.jpg

This is how it looked 2 days ago before I added the side beam supports. I realised I work better with all the clutter and mess.

G18.jpg

More later...

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard lovely work on this intresting ship an i'll be followin your build great stuff an scale 1/700 ?
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Excellent scratching at a real eye straining scale.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, thanks for the comments.

Neil, it's 1/700 scale waterline series. The figures are another story. :smiling6:
Wouter, heart stopped a few times when the parts pinged to the floor. :smiling2:
Christopher, good to have you watch this on the opposite side of the scale that you're used to.
Jim, lots of intermissions to soothe the sore eyes.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here's another batch of progress builds on the deck...

These show the support beams that run across the deck from the weather breakers. Crew have to climb stairs over them to get to the bow, PE will take care of that. Also a platform with a cut V which is where the front mast of porcupine like antenna will be mounted. I have mapped out where the rest of the drum antennas will be located with a pencil.

G21.jpg

The beam arrangements at the back end with hatch doors added. The deck-house right side had a box like structure to the side but on the left was only platform. There will be stairs leading up these two areas.

G22.jpg

If you look closely, I have left one of the door hatches open. Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Had a lovely read through Richard and learnt a lot! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Lovely work all round.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve for dropping in and commenting. I'm learning too as I go along. Below are more details and work on the bridge...

The actual decks had a droop on either side of the ship which is not replicated on the kit so using visual tricking I sanded the platforms and guard rails to mimic this droop. The roof sides were also bent slightly for this droop. I also added walls, windows and doorways to the bridge-house which was attached to the roof and painted the interior before securing it down as I won't be able to get at it once it's glued down.

G24.jpg

I positioned supports for the side roofing with stretched sprue securing them down with cyano. This made them rigid enough to be sanded down with a drill bit to the right height and for a snug fit. Canvas covers for the rails were made with plastic strip and glued all along the bridge deck. A square structure was added next to the blockhouse behind the funnel.

G25.jpg

Part of the second deck just after the main deck was sealed and a hatch door added. Just above that on the next deck railings were added. PE stairs will be inserted over the existing kit stairs. I also used the kits signal flag containers and fitted them. Viewed from the front the blockhouse behind the funnel appears off center which I assumed from the photo images. The sealed front of the second deck will have conduits from it leading down onto the main deck.

G26.jpg

The crane supports might be slightly over scaled and not supposed to be half mooned but I don't have pictures supporting this. Detailing it will be guesswork especially where the crane arms meet and where the cables run.

More to come later.

Cheers,
Richard