Andrew's 1/72 Airfix FW190 A-8 and F-8 'Wurger Double bill'

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good afternoon all

As you can see from the title, one will be done as an A-8 fighter version and the other as the F-8 Jabo version. These are for a Wurger GB on the other forum I frequent but I thought I would share them with you all

These are actually the first ever 190s I have ever done. They will both be done 'wheels up' in flight as their supposed to be for the little battles Junior and I have.

The original release was the A-8 in 2013 (my one is apparently a 2018 rebox for starter kit purposes). The F-8 was released in the same year, with the added parts for the bombs and racks, albeit the payload is apparently a bit limited.

The A-8 was a £7 Aldi purchase from this time last year, although I see it doesn't have the full decal sheet i.e. no stencils like the F-8. Nevertheless, when you consider the pair cost me only £18, you can't really complain - even allowing for the minor shortcomings noted by most reviewers.

I've also bought an AM set of decals for the Jabo but I'm not sure if I'll use them; we will see. I have also bought some canopy masks as usual.

Below is the usual set of pre-build taster pics. However, as the sprues are identical (save for the bomb sprue) I have only taken shots of the F-8 sprues. The destruction images of the paint job are for the F-8 version.

@AlanG - I know they're the wrong scale in your eyes but I do know that you like a Wurger! ;)

ACW as usual.

Andrew

Useful links:
www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a02066-focke-wulf-fw190-f-8-a-8--173949
www.modelingmadness.com/scott/axis/previews/airfix/a02066.htm
www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/kits/airfixa02066reviewmd_1.htm
reviews.ipmsusa.org/review/focke-wulf-fw-190a-8

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Airfix A-8 decals are top right; the F-8 are at the bottom.

These are the AM decals for the F-8.

I wish the pitot tube on the starboard wing had been done as separate piece.... that is just asking to be snapped off! :cold-sweat:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
'Red 2' was a lot more mucky than in your profile!

View attachment 498655
The white winter camouflage was rather roughly applied.
We Brits did similar. When my squadron deployed to Norway in the early 70's we daubed white paint on our cabs with our hands. The paint we used did come off with a good pressure washing.
Nice to see old pics like this.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

View attachment 498655

Thanks Steve so very much.....takes the pressure off should I chose to go down that route!! Looks like some overspray will actually come in handy for once!! ;) :smiling5:

We Brits did similar. When my squadron deployed to Norway in the early 70's we daubed white paint on our cabs with our hands. The paint we used did come off with a good pressure washing.
Nice to see old pics like this.

Doug....when I first read your post, for about 5 seconds I thought you meant that you pressure washed your hands to get the paint off....I'll get my coat!:smiling5:

Thanks for dropping in!

ATB

Andrew

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Doug....when I first read your post, for about 5 seconds I thought you meant that you pressure washed your hands to get the paint off....I'll get my coat!:smiling5:

Thanks for dropping in!

ATB

Andrew
Me too!
Pete
oooops sorry guys, my bad Anglo Saxon!!!:confused: Can't remember but I probably did - I was very young, and stupid then!!!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great project andrew , theyre nice kits that build up well , just be careful cleaning up the badly designed sprue attachments on the nose ring . Cheers tony

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great project andrew , theyre nice kits that build up well , just be careful cleaning up the badly designed sprue attachments on the nose ring . Cheers tony

Good to have you aboard Tony! Nose ring warning duly noted!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Am I wrong/cross eyed or the canopy looks like it doesn't close properly to the windscreen?

You might be right.....or is it the angle the photos is taken from? The shot is slightly from the front and not side on, so can we see the far side of the canopy frame through the canopy, making it look a bit off???? I might be wrong but I did find this online that looks to have the same effect albeit a much newer photo.....

1704018396379.png

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
You might be right.....or is it the angle the photos is taken from? The shot is slightly from the front and not side on, so can we see the far side of the canopy frame through the canopy, making it look a bit off???? I might be wrong but I did find this online that looks to have the same effect albeit a much newer photo.....

View attachment 498707
I think you're right, and me too, but just about my crossed eyes! ;)

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I think you're right, and me too, but just about my crossed eyes! ;)
Well I have to wear varifocal lenses because of the way my eyes work and have to pay extra to have them thinned, otherwise they're be rather thick......so I'm probably wrong! ;) :smiling5:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
@adt70hk This is the aircraft i want to do but with a few added extras lol

Good to have you aboard Al!!

I'd like to say I am absolutely shocked by the fact that a) you're planning on building one and b) you're adding a 'few' extras when you do so.........but that would something of a lie!!! :smiling5:

In all seriousness though, I would like to do this scheme but it's unit only flew on the Eastern Front in the latter stages of the war.......whereas the battles Junior and I do, are all nominally Normandy......which of course precludes the winter camo too....that said I might just ignore that minor inconsistency and go ahead with that scheme anyway!;)

ATB

Andrew

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just thought to mention that 'Red 2' does not have a bomb slung beneath but and 'abwurfbehalter' basically a cluster munition container. It hinged at the tail.
A quick google of 'Luftwaffe AB 250' will turn something up.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
It's the curvature of the forward metal edge of the canopy that throws out the perspective!!

Now that's a much more professional answer of what I was trying to say! :smiling5:

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Just thought to mention that 'Red 2' does not have a bomb slung beneath but and 'abwurfbehalter' basically a cluster munition container. It hinged at the tail.
A quick google of 'Luftwaffe AB 250' will turn something up.

Thanks Steve. I've had a quick look online and see what you mean. I've also had a look at the sprue and I'm pretty sure what I took to be a large bomb, is one of these abwurfbehalters. It certainly has the same general proportions and the same flatish nose - as below.

Thanks

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

View attachment 498655

@adt70hk This is the aircraft i want to do but with a few added extras lol

Steve, Al

I have jut come across an entry elsewhere below), which I suggests that the red nose was not actually red in real life, or have I misunderstood it????? Do you have any thoughts either way?

Thanks

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Morrison is someone whose opinion always carries a lot of weight, and with good reason.

His point is valid, would the Luftwaffe have employed red 'kennung'/codes and painted red identification markings on aircraft operating against the VVS?

Unfortunately, neither he nor anyone else knows with any certainty and there is no answer to the question, at least with the information now available.

If you go with the suggested red nobody can say that's wrong, but the same applies if you go for blue or, dare I say it, black.

When I made a model of this very aircraft some years ago I went with red.