Another PE question

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening all

About to fight with more PE and i need advice. Grown my nails longer so i can bite them!!!

On the smaller or fiddly bits is it best to put the CA/glue on the PE??

Ta in advance Bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bob,
I would imagine everyone has there own valid way.
I will quite often hold the smaller bits in tweezers and carefully dip into my blob of CA then pop into location.
Hi Si, sounds like a plan!!
Bob,

Personal preference really and how steady a hand you have - but that's the way I work with small fiddly bits!!

Alternatively there's always the tried & trusted MIG welder or a 4" nail!! :flushed:

I'll grab me coat now!!

Paul.
:smiling:
My welding is terrible but can hit in a nail with the best of them Lol

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
Most of the time I place the PE using Gator acrylic hobby glue. It allows time to get the PE into position. I then wick thin CA glue into the join. Often, for PE with a larger attachment point, the Gator glue is fine on it's own. Any Gator glue that squeezes out it easily cleaned up with a damp brush before it dries. If you do cock things up the part is easily removed, cleaned up and you're ready for another go.
Jim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bob
Most of the time I place the PE using Gator acrylic hobby glue. It allows time to get the PE into position. I then wick thin CA glue into the join. Often, for PE with a larger attachment point, the Gator glue is fine on it's own. Any Gator glue that squeezes out it easily cleaned up with a damp brush before it dries. If you do cock things up the part is easily removed, cleaned up and you're ready for another go.
Jim
Excellent, many thanks Jim!

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob I always have fun using pe and ca. Normally a small amount on a piece of card then attempt to pick up the part with tweezers or wax pencil , or the blade of a scalpel if its resin.
At this point I either drop the part , or fire if into the third dimension( only to be found weeks later leaving me wondering what it was )
Doing what Si and Paul do is good, but don't get any on the tweezers or you'll not get the part off them !
I like Jim's method ,bought the Gator glue and always forget to use it. Think the guy has just stopped selling it !
Oh , I have a spray which I use to speed up the process after the part is on. I use this set others are available.
Evo-Stik Mitre Adhesive 50g + 200ml
By Evo-Stik Product code: 71377 Pack size: Each
brand-img-evostik.png
71377.jpg

Last edited:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Bob

Some great ideas already on the thread.

Steve J is spot on with soldering being fun, I tried the Adam Wilder DVD on PE soldering a few years ago, I think you can get most of it on You Tube these days too?

I really enjoyed it and recreated the T34/85 with Thoma shields too.

It is a bit of a "Black" art, but when you hit the sweet spot, it really is a blast.

I have a retirement project to build a 1/35 Pz I A in Brass, and have a box full of every PE set possible to achieve it.

Have fun either way, and always plan before melting your PE LOL

Regards

Steve H

3qpZETD.jpg

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob I always have fun using pe and ca. Normally a small amount on the ears then attempt to pick up the part with tweezers or wax pencil , or the blade of a scalpel if its resin.
At this point I either drop the part , or fire if into the third dimension( only to be found weeks later leaving me wondering what it was )
Doing what Si and Paul do is good, but don't get any on the tweezers or you'll not get the part off them !
I like Jim's method ,bought the Gator glue and always forget to use it. Think the guy has just stopped selling it !
Oh , I have a spray which I use to speed up the process after the part is on. I use this set others are available.
Evo-Stik Mitre Adhesive 50g + 200ml
By Evo-Stik Product code: 71377 Pack size: Each
View attachment 405793
View attachment 405794
Many thanks Jim, excellent advice
Morning Bob

Some great ideas already on the thread.

Steve J is spot on with soldering being fun, I tried the Adam Wilder DVD on PE soldering a few years ago, I think you can get most of it on You Tube these days too?

I really enjoyed it and recreated the T34/85 with Thoma shields too.

It is a bit of a "Black" art, but when you hit the sweet spot, it really is a blast.

I have a retirement project to build a 1/35 Pz I A in Brass, and have a box full of every PE set possible to achieve it.

Have fun either way, and always plan before melting your PE LOL

Regards

Steve H

View attachment 405797
Lovely job Steve, not sure if i will get detailed, having fun with just the basics lol

• Haha
Reactions: JR

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

Who said anything about using tweezers - more fun if you have sausage shaped fingers and a squirty bottle of CA!! :smiling: (Typing with pencil in mouth!!:flushed::flushed:).

Paul.
:smiling:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After taking a deep breath - I use a cocktail stick to apply a drop of CA to the desired location, then apply the PE bit with tweezers. I use either aluminium foil, or pie cases to squirt a little CA puddle for my cocktail stick - no way could I allow the CA bottle anywhere near the model! If you do get CA on your tweezers, a lighter flame will burn it off. As always I work on the principle of ' does this part actually do anything for the model?' and 'if I can't pick it up with my tweezers, I'm not using it!'. Just because a part is on the PE fret doesn't mean you have to use it - I reckon some parts are just added as fillers, to boost an otherwise sparse fret!
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
After taking a deep breath - I use a cocktail stick to apply a drop of CA to the desired location, then apply the PE bit with tweezers. I use either aluminium foil, or pie cases to squirt a little CA puddle for my cocktail stick - no way could I allow the CA bottle anywhere near the model! If you do get CA on your tweezers, a lighter flame will burn it off. As always I work on the principle of ' does this part actually do anything for the model?' and 'if I can't pick it up with my tweezers, I'm not using it!'. Just because a part is on the PE fret doesn't mean you have to use it - I reckon some parts are just added as fillers, to boost an otherwise sparse fret!
Dave
Hi Dave, totally agree

The pe set for the Tamiya StuG has bits that are so fine it would drive me nuts and any improvement??

Thanks for the valuable info!!

Bob

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A very useful tool to make as a glue applicator is to take a needle place the pointy end in a suitable handle the nip off the eye of the needle to leave a fork. When the glue builds up just burn it off as Dave says but don't breath in the fumes.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
A very useful tool to make as a glue applicator is to take a needle place the pointy end in a suitable handle the nip off the eye of the needle to leave a fork. When the glue builds up just burn it off as Dave says but don't breath in the fumes.
Thats a good one Paul, have tried using thin wire, that clogs very quickly

I have some scrap pe so will practice!