Anyone up for a Special Interest Group Build?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Re:Richthofen

JG2 carried that name during WW2 and post war it and its emblem were later carried by JG71,I don't know if the name rather than the number would count. Erich Hartmann flew jets for the new unit post war until he got "fired" over the F-104 controversy. They fly Eurofighters now,still doing defense of the Reich ......errr....I mean Republic!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Se now thats interesting. It gives a few openings, Someone could if they wished do either a WWII war bird and the Eurofighter or even the F 104 and the Euro fighter..... As for the name or number, I would assume that the squadron number is more the officially recognised. I stand to be corrected if wrong.

Sounds like a good idea for a project Steve, Are you going to run with it, time permitting that is.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I was thinking one of Hartmann's late Bf109s and then his F-86 Sabre (technically the Canadair CL-13). Same pilot,same unit name,different eras,both with "tulip" noses. With the work I have lining up this may just remain an idea but I would love to do it if I can find suitable kits and markings.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right chaps. John has set up a forum for the SIG Build; Then and now: Aircraft. For General chat and the like, we we can carry on here but for all the build and related postings; questions relating to the build you are doing etc, should be posted in the SIG Forum.

For those that are joining in, as for the other group builds, make a thread with your name and a title.

I'm off to post mine now.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
In an attempt to try tempt a few more to join in, A couple of ideas to make it a little more "open"

Instead of the two aircraft having to be from the same squadron they can be two aircraft, on old, one new(er), which had the same base. So you could do two from RAF Brise Norton. Or some base in Germany or where ever. For that matter it could even be an Aircraft carrier!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Oh nuts! I was hoping no one would think of an aircraft carrier and I wasn't going to say anything 'till I had the box art to show, so I'd better get in quick......

I am going to do two aircraft that flew from American carriers: One is the Douglas TBD-1 Devastator, the other is the F-14 Tomcat.

Stretching the rules a bit as I don't know if they would be the same squadron, but I have been given permission by Ian M to build them....So there!!

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Wa ho! I'm deffo. in now...

I've just won both my S.I.G. aircraft on eebeegeebeebay:

The Devastator for £4.50 incl. p/p and the F -14 Tomcat for the princely sum of £3.70 incl p/p..... (Both 1/72)

Good result, so I'm going to make a drinking chocolate to celebrate, sad or what?

Ian, I will post on the S.I.G. forum when I have the pictures of the model box art.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons I am considering changing my build.

There is a very good Lightning being built at the moment by Derek, and there has also been a couple of Tornado builds of late. So to keep it interesting I am actually thinking of building two other aircraft.

Would there be any objections.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, shame was looking forward to your builds. Cheers derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Easy Derek, Nothing decided just yet. I am having 'problems' finding the correct markings and what nots for the possible alternatives. It was just a mad impulse.

I will probably end up where I started and build the original two as posted.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Why would there be objections Ian? You are still in the plan stage so you can change your mind. Only time I would see objection to that is if it was obvious you were taking someone else's idea just to try and make it your own, something I doubt will ever happen on this Forum.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL post man has just been with the last of the goodies for the lightning, so I might just carry on any way.

Ian M

S

steve1

:cheesygrin: I'd like to get in on this one also,Will be my first group build with you guys,Should be fun. Have to do some research on this one! Thanks,

Steve1

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome aboard and to the forum!

When you are ready just open a thread in the Then and now forum. The title should include your (forum)name and what you will be doing. Talking of which, what will you be doing, or is it still in the thinking of stage.

Ian M

K

Kressy13

well this sure looks interesting, alot been going on i see, have had some problems with computers and other personal crap which has kept me away. Has also kept me away from the workbench unfortunatly. This looks interesting and great idea ian. Time for some research i think.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
G'day Kressy! Welcome back. Had wondered more than once if you had either floated or blown away. You sure have not had the best of weather in your part of the world! I hope that you find time and inspiration to join in. Maybe an Aussie Squadron? It would make a change from the usual Brit/Gerry/Yanky stuff!!! And I dont mean that in a bad way.

Ian M

K

Kressy13

Yea. Been a bit crazy with the weather. Only Country I know that could have one half flooded and the other half on fire. Oh well. Still love living here. Had some family affected with the cyclones so been fairly busy. I will be doing an Aussie squadron for this. Just not sure which 1 yet as their are a few with a very rich history. When I know I'll post it in the sig section.

Cheers

Kresten