Applying decals..

5thelement

and here was i thinking i was taking the piss lol i'll need to give the coin test a try sometime!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Such is the ingenuity of the model maker,and these things really do work.

Brasso is ideal for removing dried glue marks on models and also for mild weathering effects especially on silver paint that has well cured.

Dont forget the golden rule-Before committing to your nice new model experiment on a paint hack first,any old model will do for this,the model will be an instructional revelation that gains not only the scars of success and the inevitable disaster !

5thelement

Well, im now armed with a bottle of Asda's finest "Distilled Malt Vinegar", is that the right stuff yeah? i'll mix it 50/50 with water when im ready to use it.

B

Bunkerbarge

That'll do it.

Stick some on your chips while you're at it!!

5thelement

Will do lol

Plane will get a coat of Klear in the next day or 2, then it'll be ready for the decals :smiling3: looking forward to seeing it with the decals, should bring it to life.

5thelement

Well, just applied the first few decals to the bomb of the plane (i've not glued this on yet, thought it'd be easier to paint the bottom of the plane without it in the way)

Anyway, after i'd given it 2 coats of Klear and let it dry, i cut out the tiny decals for it and all went pretty smoothly thankfully :smiling3: none major problems.

Only small problem with one, was that the decal slid off the backing paper while it was still in the water, but thanks to the help of a trusty toothpick lol i was able to get it out easily and apply it no problems.

So, to round up, my first decals are on without any problems :smiling3: wasn't as bad as i expected and im confident about the other ones now seeing as their all pretty much bigger aswell. Just need to give the plane a coat of Klear first.

Im not sure whether to brush a little distilled vinegar/water (50/50) onto these as they allready look decent, so maybe i'll just give it a final coat of klear when im sure they're dried completely and properly stuck on.

5thelement

I dont believe this! i was just admiring the bomb decals, and i thought to myself "hold on, i've put these on the wrong bloody side!" arghh! instead of them being on the top side of the bomb, i've put them on the bloody underside of it which will face the ground. In my defence, the pictures in the instructions were a bit misleading, but i wont make excuses lol Im not too bothered, but still a little annoying!

I'll make damn sure i dont mess up any others!

Oh yeah, when im doing with the decals, should i give it a final coat of Klear before moving onto a matt varnish? or just go straight onto the matt?

Can anyone recomend a matt varnish?

Last edited:
R

rjwood_uk

yes another coat of Klear (stops the edges of the decals silvering and also helps make them look "painted on"

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
5thelement,we have all made similar mistakes but as you say sometimes the instructions do not make it very clear,yes always lock the decals between more Johnsons.

Best matt varnish that I have used came from a DIY shop,cannot remember the name now ? make sure that you give it a good stir to mix the pumice sediment in the bottom of the tin.

5thelement

Thanks

I just finished putting the first few decals into the plane itself and eveything went okay :smiling3: I've finished the decals on the underside of the plane, and i've put the crosses on the top of the wings and also put the numbers on the sides. I'll do some more once these have had a while to completely dry/stick

It's great seeing it coming to life now :smiling3:

Here's a quick shot of the bottom side

after3hz.jpg

Is the diluted vinegar essential? to me these allready look not too bad, and if im being honest im a bit apprehensive about putting vinegar onto them lol

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Looking good,only use diluted vinegar if there is any problem in going over a curvature where the decal needs to be softened to take the form ie rivets,corrugated surfaces etc,in this case it appears not to be necessary as the decal has gone on fine,different decal manufacturers have differing types of membrane.

5thelement

Thanks, well, 90% of the decals are now applied :smiling3:

Everything went on pretty much okay, even the spinner! (although it seems a little short to totally reach one edge, unless its supposed to be like that, eitherway, its on without being ruined and looks not bad)

The only problem i have is some slight silvering on some of them, which is a little disapointing, but i guess im just glad i havn't ripped/torn/messed any up!

Not entirely sure what caused silvering, maybe a poor/rough paintjob? lol not sure

Would the vinegar/water help at all in that aspect no?

B

Bunkerbarge

The silvering is caused by a lack of adhesion of the decal to the surface which is probably as a result of the surface not being smooth enough. The vinegar treatment might help but only if you have not done anything else after applying the decal. If you are not happy give it a go but you could also just accept it as something to learn from and know what to look out for next time.

The trick is first of all getting a nice smooth paint job then applying the Johnsons to give the gloss surface.

You also have to remember that sometimes the quality of the decal leaves a bit to be desired and some of them will never give a perfect result.

As long as you have not done anything else since applying the decal you should have nothing to loose by trying the vinegar solution which may help the decal to soften and conform to the rivets or panel lines.

5thelement

Thanks again, im not too unhappy about it, it only affects some of them and even then, it's not all that bad. Without this forum and everyones help i would of made a proper mess of it, i wouldn't of even varnished it b4 applying the decals lol so thanks :smiling3: its looking better than it would of done.

I havn't done anything to the decals since applying them so i might give the diluted vinegar solution a try on some of the less noticeable ones first and see if it improves them much.

Should i expect to see them wrinkling or anything? i've read that microsol does that when you apply it.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
When you apply the vinigar it will slightly wrinkle a bit as it softens the decal,dab with a lint free cloth the best that you can to keep the edges down,when everything dries out they will shrink out again taking on the contours of the surface,just go carefully as you are doing.

5thelement

Thanks, will let you know how i get on.

I picked up a frame today to make a simple diorama base (made by a company aptly named "Wings Art" lol) also picked up a bag of javis scatter grass.

Had a good look for matt varnish again and couldn't find any, plenty gloss and satin ones though! i did see little tins of revell (no 2 i think?) matt clear, but i think i'd rather have a spray can to get a more even/uniform finish.

Anyways, time to go mix some vinegar with water!

5thelement

Well i've applied some but im not too convinced it really done anything lol i think it did on a couple, but i never noticed much happening with the others.

Thats all the decals applied aswell now :smiling3: so i'll give them a while to completely dry, then give the whole thing a final coat of Klear, then i need to get my hands on some matt varnish to finish it off.

Will putting matt varnish over the cockpit windows, mess it up?

N

Nigel.D

Do not put matt varnish onto the windows they will cloud up! If you want them to lok like glass give them a coat of clear otherwise just mask them before applying the varnish! You will find that the vinegar will have no effect on a set/ dried decal the silvering that you mentioned is as Bunkerbarge says the surface was not smooth / glossy enough for the decal to adhere properly softening the decal will not help remove the air from underneath only a wetting agent could do that and again only if the surface was very smooth !!! but hey we learn something new each day and we have all done the same dont let it put you off as the next one will be even better:dan1:

5thelement

Yeah im sure thats the reason for the silvering, ie, not a very smooth paint job. Would it be wise in future to thin the paint a little? (and also get some better brushes!) i'll need to practice painting a bit more eitherway.

Regarding the windows on the canopy, it's allready been given a coat of Klear (including the painted frames) so if im spraying it matt im gonna have to mask those up again....that should be fun....not!