AS 186 compressor kit problem.

S

sharowjohn

I too puchased an AS186 compressor about 18 months ago or one that is a dead ringer from various photos i've seen, worked very well until just recently but now I am starting to have problems with it running very hot due to cutting in frequently. This it does even when standing idle. I have had the head off (there goes the warranty I susspect.) and the NRT v/v seems fine and I can find no external leeks so I suspect air is passing back via NRT v/v and piston to atmosphere. Any coments solutions etc welcome.

Cheers sharowjohn.

P

Paul-H

Hi

If it starts without being used then it is probably the None Return Valve, this is like a rubber mushroom that is held in place by back pressure, any damage to this or any microscopic bit of dirt will stop it sealing and allow the air to leak back, I have to clean mine about every 3 months and find that a smear of petrolium jelly helps it to seal, if its too bad they can be replaced and it costs about £8. Not sure about it getting hot though unless it is running all the time. Have you cleaned the intake filters, it will get hot if it cannot get enough air because the filter is blocked, it looks like a nut with a sintered center.

Hope this has been of help to you

Paul

S

sharowjohn

Thanks Paul.

Hi

Just had lid off: cleaned NRT v/v applied a smear of vasaline and all is well.My 186 does not have a suction filter but draws air from under the piston via a stainless flap v/v. Efectivley pulling air from the compressor crank case which is also part of the open motor frame obviously if the motor runs too frequently it gets hot, the hotter the motor the hotter the air drawn in. This is why I wonder if it is a genuine 186 or a copy with a fake label.

Cheers John.:smile1: