Attaching Clear Canopy to Frame

GhostRider27

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
Greetings!!! I am going to use Clear Gorilla Glue to attach the canopy of a 1/48 F-15 to its frame. Here's my question. I know its a very long drying time, and while Im not worried about it drying clear, which it certainly does, my concern is holding the canopy in place on the frame until it cures. Taping and clamping is off the table due to the convex shape of the canopy and the two pieces being somewhat cumbersome the way it joins… I can see that actually becoming disastrous. I thought of uv clear epoxy w/ a uv led light, as it cures in 2 minutes or so, and I can simply hold it in place.. Anyway, are there any suggestions as to what some of you do?

Thanks! -Ed

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ed,
If taping is off the menu, the only other suggestion I have is to put a couple of small pieces of white-tac (one either side) on each part, bridging from the fuselage onto the canopy to prevent them from walking. Once the glue has cured, the white-tac can be easily removed without damage.
John

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Can I ask why would you use Gorilla glue? In my experience adhesives which are high viscosity goo like this and Humbrol's clear fix adds thickness to the join like cement, this can create fit problems. I've had good results with PVA white glue, it's thin and cleans up with a moist cotton bud, it's only down side is it's long drying time, it bonds well but can be removed if needed

Miko (sticking stuff)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I use this stuff Ed.
IMG_1663.jpeg
I find it excellent for canopies. It’s also pretty good for coloured etch. It has good shear strength and is slightly flexible so stands up to accidental knocks pretty well.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Tim put me onto that canopy glue a while ago. I can vouch for it being excellent.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm always suspicious that a product like that might be a very expensively bottled version of what Blue Peter would have called 'rubber solution' glue.

I'm not saying it's so, because obviously I don't know, but often there are cheaper alternatives.

Any drummers here may remember Paiste's own brand cymbal cleaner (the one that came in the orange bottle). It turned out to be a German formulation of one of the Mr Muscle cleaners that cost a fraction of the price. It's not just model brands that can be, shall we say, unscrupulous.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob Smith Gold foam safe CA, it won't fog clear acrylics. Slightly longer dying time than normal CA, but still massively quicker than most everything else.