"ATTACK!" Chancellorsville...May 2nd,1863

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
View attachment 74695

I bought this 1/35 Master Box kit at Cosford earlier this year - and promptly forgot about it - then I spotted it in the stash......

So I made a start a couple of days ago. I know, another on the go....

After an artillery bombardment, the Union Cavalry have spotted a gap blown in the Confederate defensive picket line and are charging towards it......The rebel cannon are waiting!

Here is the 6" X 6" base. Polystyrene block with a trench carved out, then pva'd and sprinkled with sweepings....From the green house this time, nice and dry! Then I stuck some cocktail sticks into the base, made some cotton bails from polystyrene blocks, dipped in pva, then dipped in the sweepings, wrapped in thread and painted with acrylics.

Bit of a 'Happy Accident' occured as I was painting the bales...One burst open and lo and behold, cotton buds on show, nice touch and something I hadn't considered - Don't you love it when something like that happens?

View attachment 74691

View attachment 74692

View attachment 74693

View attachment 74694

View attachment 74698

The Cavalry view!

View attachment 74697

I hope you approve of my attempt at a battered Confederate 'Fortification' Probably things to add, when and if they come into my head.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 74699

Battle of Antietam.jpg

Battle of Antietam 003.jpg

Battle of Antietam 001.jpg

Battle of Antietam 013.jpg

Battle of Antietam 010.jpg

Battle of Antietam 011.jpg

Battle of Antietam 008.jpg

Battle of Antietam 012.jpg

P

Polux

Wow!! Ron, you never stop to surprise me!!

This dio will look amazing, I'm sure friend! Another fantastic action one! ;)

Polux

C

CDW

More 'osses Ron? What's all that about then? :smiling: :smiling: :smiling:

Base looks quite good as is, I'm sure you'll swap and change it to be exactly how you want it throughout the build:smiling:

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely superb. Just goes to show what can be achieved with the simplest of materials but plenty of imagination and skill. While everyone else is building the latest multimedia kits you are putting together an amazing diorama base with polystyrene and cocktail sticks! It makes you think doesn't it?

Fantastic job.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
When I first read the title i imagined Ron leading a protest march to no 11 Downing street , rallying against the pastie tax or something!!!! (or maybe a new tunnocks wafer tax?!) . Then I read the post and its another action packed Ron masterpiece in the offing, looks like a great project matey. The cotton bales are excellent , looking forward to seeing the rest of the scene come to life , cheers tony

Z

Ziper_it

Great job, can't wait to see this complete.

Love the last picture, a good framing is what is needed to bring our work to life.

Francesco

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
So simple and so effective!

I do have a question though Ron. Did they have blue plastic back in 1863? If not, you might want to get rid of the bit that's crept in with your greenhouse sweepings! :oops:

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
So simple and so effective!I do have a question though Ron. Did they have blue plastic back in 1863? If not, you might want to get rid of the bit that's crept in with your greenhouse sweepings! :oops:

Gern
I think thats come off my ANT 25 dave!!!! ive shaved so much off its no surprise some might have blown over the pennines !!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
blue

\ said:
So simple and so effective!I do have a question though Ron. Did they have blue plastic back in 1863? If not, you might want to get rid of the bit that's crept in with your greenhouse sweepings! :oops:

Gern
So you've think you've got me eh, Dave? Try this.....

It's a bit of a union soldier's blue trousers left over from a previous attack!

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys for your excellent and amusing posts on the start of my model....

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andy......No popcorn for you....a KFC if you please!!

Giz a bite!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Wow Ron this is just great , have you seen the film Glory?

I'm sure I've seen that before , in either a film or documentary or it could have been a book .

I can just see a couple of confederate soldiers firing ove what's left of the barricade and the union cavelry charging towards them

This will look awesome :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Alan, I haven't seen the film, and thanks for the confederate soldiers suggestion. the trouble is the base is only 6" square, so barely enough room for the horses. Food for thought nonetheless....

My proposed plan / idea for this mini dio. was something my sometimes far too fertile imagination came up with.....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've just been in the garage / w.shop, and as the figures were not quite what I wanted, I did a bit of alteration to the stance of the horses and riders.

These Master Box horses are every bit as good as the ones in the 'Which way....' dio. I did on here. Great fit with little or no filing.

And thanks to Colin (CDW) and his missus - who both helped me with painting and info on the horses for that dio - I know a bit more about painting the creatures!

Anyway, here are the figures primed and ready for painting.

View attachment 74715

View attachment 74716

Cheers,

Ron

Battle of Antietam 009.jpg

Battle of Antietam 014.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Interesting subject and something a bit different Ron. I shall endeavour to keep popping in to see how this develops.

Si:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Si, your always welcome.

Your quite right, it is something different. I like to have a bash at all aspects of this model making game....cock ups an' all!......makes life a bit more interesting.