Aviation Movies

T

Tim Tim

I don't have time right now to look through all the replies, and I'm new here anyway, but what about 'Where Eagles Dare'? You can't beat those opening titles with that JU52!

I know the book well, as it has the 'plane as a Lanc., but we're talking the film aren't we? And Eagles do fly, do they not? And land, of course.

Just my (newbie) thoughts.

Tim

K

Kiwi

I recall those opening titles, and the ones of a Bf 109 crash landing at the start of "The One That Got Away" about von Werra's escape. I didn't list them as I tried to restrict my list to films where aircraft were filling a much major role and formed an integral part of the story.

Nev

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Anyone remember the film 'I Have lived before ' ? this was about a W.1 pilot who was supposed to have re-incarnated as yes you have guessed it,another aviator ? plenty of flying footage,some belived to be left overs from 'Hells Angels'

( Did you know there was a stand in killed in this latter film when he was pouring out black soot from the rear of a Sikorsky big biplane ? he was supposed to exit by parachute but got carried away and spun in with the aircraft.) the large aircraft was supposed to represent a German Gotha bomber.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
One not on that list-'High Flight' Anthony Newley,great story about the Royal Air Force college,Cranwell.

Student gets off to a bad start when he flies in by Auster G-AOCR and gives his girlfriend a big hug,then she takes off on the peri track ! anyone remember it ? great flying shots of a Percival Provost flying low level along a canal,gets told off for low flying,builds a radio controlled flying saucer that gets out of control,what fun.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Did they finish 'The Bells of hell go ding-aling-aling' filmed at Old Warden.

Another one filmed at Old Warden was 'Crooks in Cloister's'

T

Tim Tim

I recall those opening titles, and the ones of a Bf 109 crash landing at the start of "The One That Got Away" about von Werra's escape. I didn't list them as I tried to restrict my list to films where aircraft were filling a much major role and formed an integral part of the story.Nev
I do understand your point on this. Of course, in the book (Maclean) the plane is a Lancaster, whereas the film is a JU52. I like the way the plane kind of tops and tails the film.

Regards,

Tim

C

COL.KURTZ

theres two movies that come to mind as i have them both on vhs one is called ''failsafe'' starring george clooney,and the other one is '' by dawns early light '' starring lloyd bridges

B

Bluewavestudios

Howsabout "The Final Countdown" Where the aircraft carrier sails through a timewarp to just before Pearl Harbour and they had the chance to stop the attack happening. The flight scenes with the F14's and the Japanese zero's are superb...the zero pilots eyes are bulging out of their heads when they get strafed by the F14's...not that they had long before being taken out by a couple of sidewinders !!

Regards......Mark

G

Gaz

Can't think of the name but it's about the first coloured squadron in WW2.

R

rjwood_uk

how about "Stealth" some cheese that came out about 2 years ago about futuristic fighter pilots and a new state of the art un-maned fighter that gets a mind of its own and goes on a rampage after being hit by lightening.

its got jamie foxx in but i cant remember who the other two are.

did any one mention dam busters? i dont remember seing it reading through the list.

and i know this dosnt count but in the startgate sg1 episode called Collateral Damage in season 9 where mitchel has a memory of a murder implanted in his head. it has some great cgi of him flying and F-16 and bombing a target. it shows some great cockpit views and i couldnt make out a single mistake!

L

Lips McGee

I recommend Sky Fighters (originally Chevaliers du Ciel). It's originally a French flick so its dubbed/with subtitles (or not if you parlez). The story line is pretty cheesy and yes it has its typical stereotypes, but all of the plot is basically filler for between some absolutely stunning aerial photography. They claim that not one bit of the footage was digitally altered, and knowing that it's pretty amazing. Some of the footage can be found on YouTube if you search the title.

L

Lips McGee

Also, don't forget "On the Wings of Eagles" with John Wayne

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Sorry guys, I'm back for a few durning my son's nap time!

1. "A bridge too far" Breathtaking sequence of the dropping of troops during "operation marketgarden" A stunning movie as well which won several awards-Anthony Hopkins, James Cann, Michale Cain, ect highly recommended with an all star cast!!!!

2. "The longest day"-killer sequence of two bf109's (the only reported luftwaffe aircraft) mowing down allied troops on the beaches at Normandy. Killer!

3. "1941" Spielberg's crazy smash bomb. Love it or hate it-I loved it!

4. "Harts War" A very underrated film starring Bruce Willis-P51's in action over the POW camps! This film is mostly drama that should not be missed!

5. "Saving Private Ryan" Several tank busting P51's kick the snot out of the SS panzer division (last twenty minutes)