Aviation News-Coltishall closes-The End of an era.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The Typhoons flew out of Coltishall today 03-04-2006.

10cff42c0.jpg

F.2 ZJ921 [bW] and T.1 ZJ800 [bC] departed on 22 at 10:25 returning for a single flypast before heading to Coningsby.

10d0f42c0.jpg

Harrier GR.9 ZG478 [41 Sqn Tail] departed on 22 at 16:20 heading straight to Coningsby

Jaguar GR.3A XZ112 [GW] (with the 65th Anniversary Tail that went tech on Sat) departed at 16:23 and requested flypasts.

1st Flypast was high speed, low level from the east banking right over the threshold to "buzz" the tower (I'm sure he took some aerials with him!)

2nd Flypast was also high speed, low level from the east, straight down the runway waggling his wings.

3rd and final Flypast was from the north, heading over the tower then pulling up vertical into the clouds. He then departed to Coningsby.

10d1f42c0.jpg

At 16:40 the tower announced "This Is RAF Coltishall Tower .......Coltishall Airfield Is Now Closed". The 50 or so spotters present in the field fell silent, this was the final moment, I'm sure many like myself "welled up" at the closure of this last Battle Of Britain airfield.

The crew at the "windsock truck" (sorry, don't know it's official title) then let off red & green flares for 10 mins before racing the crew landrover down the runway. It was funny that when they requested permission to do a "pass" down the runway, they were answered "ok, but not below 500ft as there were still children crying and car alarms going off from the Jaguar"!

RAF Coltishall, 1940 - 2006 RIP, The End Of An Era.......

My sincere thanks go to our reporters Andy Mc Quat and Terry Lee for this historical report.

R

rjwood_uk

the "windosck truck" is a mobile control tower, they used to use these when we went gliding with the ATC, because we used the old air bases that were not manned sufficianlty to use the original control towers (if they were left opperational) so they just used these...im presuming they still do! quite cosy inside actally, you went in through the back doors, padded seats eather side and sometimes a little fold away table , then you could either go up a few little steps into the cabin, or up a differnt set of steps into the control tower itself, wich also had a little connecting office.

very smart little things, but still i dont know their propper names!!!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Great subject for model making RJW ? they also had black/white chequered caravan type units in WW.2 probably also used post war as well for the tasks that you mention here,these small items really make excellent model airfield additions in their own right and ideal for model photography in dioramas.

When Airfix magazine first appeared it encouraged modellers to convert and scratchbuild vehicles such as this,many could be made from existing kits suitably chopped,its a great picture,if anyone here has more pictures of airfield support vehicles of interest then dig them out,we want to see them.

R

rjwood_uk

i think italari do these??? i cant remember they do so much little extra things its hard to remember them all, problems i about scale???

looking at your picture, and my description and memory again i think the ones we used to use were bigger. for a start the cabin is seperate the truck and there is no back door, its got a side door

im guessing there are many variations of these though!!