Babooshka - Chris Achilleos tribute

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
In December last year the artist Chris Achilleos died at the age of 74. He's probably best known for a series of Dr Who Target novelisation covers, as well as lots of other 'girlie' pics, of which there are many figures made.
Among his book covers was the Raven series, one of which was adapted by (the sainted) Kate Bush for the costume she wore in the Babooshka video
Denizen Miniatures of Brighton put out a 'female adventurer' 25mm figure in the late nineteen-eighties that was, 'familiar'. Well, Chub Pearson of Denizen is a Lionheart like me

Must be the best part of thirty-five years ago I did this. Now I need a magnifier...
IMG_8895.JPGIMG_8894.JPGIMG_8892.JPG

I added the cloak to 'accurize' the figure - but didn't go as far as painting on the peacock-feather pattern. But that's only visible when the light shines through it anyway. On the right is the original figure.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Chris - nice tribute.

i was not aware that he had dies - such a shock!

He is one of my favourite artists and I was fortunate to visit his home on two occasions to pick up a couple of paintings from him (Princess and The Merry Widow). His home was an amazing gallery of his work - every wall was covered with his paintings, fabulous work. one of my favourites is Sirens which was huge and hanging up the staircase.

i must tell you one story: one day i saw a that a chap was selling on Ebay a disc containing scans of Chris's work. i mentioned this to him and he asked my to buy one and send it to hime, including the envelope and any notes inside of it. I did this, and after sending to him I checked he received it and asked why he wanted it. The reply was that a couple of his cousins had visited the chap and convinced him to stop selling scans of his paintings!

His talent will be missed, but at least his art lives on.

Peter