Back To The Hobby

OldWalrus

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Good evening.
Since work intervened in about 1980 I drifted away from the hobby and a couple of years later committed the sin of throwing all my accumulated goodies away... Fast forward to last December and admiring an Airfix 1/72 Buccaneer which prompted my wife to suggest it as a Christmas present, oh yes! Since then the stash has grown and the £s got less. Still tiptoeing around 1/72 aircraft, but intending to move to 1/48 which look easier on the eyes and fingers. Have invested in an airbrush which has taken longer to master than I would have thought, but the results, when it comes off are great.
Main area of interest, Fleet Air Arm aircraft, but happy to try anything that looks interesting post-war.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Welcome Nick to the friendliest site going.
Like your interest, ex FAA, (rotary wing myself). Bucc was a great aircraft.

OldWalrus

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Welcome Nick to the friendliest site going.
Like your interest, ex FAA, (rotary wing myself). Bucc was a great aircraft.
Alas my naval career was brief and best forgotten... My late Dad served for 30 years and was heading down the aviation route having soloed in a Tiger Moth and been graded 'Above Average' when they decided to carry out the flying medical, unfortunately he was colour blind and that resulted in him having to transfer to the Supply & Secretariat branch, he was initially very hacked off, but had some brilliant overseas postings.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Welcome Nick.
There are a couple of fly-boys around on the forum, I'm sure you'll soon fall in with them. I have interest in the FAA, but the 50's era mainly - I've a brace of 1/72 Gannets in the stash ( the newer Revell model, not the venerable Frog version ) I've also dabbled with the Cyber Hobby Sea Vixen, but made such a hash of the paint job that it's stilllingering on the shelf of shame! Looking forward to seeing your products!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Still tiptoeing around 1/72 aircraft, but intending to move to 1/48 which look easier on the eyes and fingers.
The model overall will be larger in 1:48, and the main pieces will all be larger too, but you’ll probably find that the small parts will be just as small as in 1:72, and there will be more of them :smiling3:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
The model overall will be larger in 1:48, and the main pieces will all be larger too, but you’ll probably find that the small parts will be just as small as in 1:72, and there will be more of them :smiling3:
As I found with my 1/35 Challenger. Nice size overall but loads of minuscule parts. But! Still enjoyable if not fiddly.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Welcome to the forum Nick,

There's plenty of like minded folk on here to 'fall in with' as Dave said, (and a few of us ex-Pongo's), but nobody ever starts fighting..lol.

looking forward to seeing your Bucc as she progresses..

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome Nick!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome Nick

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome to the funny farm........worked on wing things all my life. Done with them. I tend to lean towards those what crawls on their belly like a reptile.....or what rolls down the road on its all fours! What ever you decide to do Nick be sure you are having Fun! That's what it's all about. ;) :thumb2:

Harris Shoerats

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
Hi Nick
I've only just joined myself. The guys here are extremely welcoming, very knowledgeable and helpful.
Welcome!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
..... and it's a warm welcome from me too Nick ....
.... I look forward to seeing you around the parish :smiling3:

OldWalrus

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Welcome Nick.
There are a couple of fly-boys around on the forum, I'm sure you'll soon fall in with them. I have interest in the FAA, but the 50's era mainly - I've a brace of 1/72 Gannets in the stash ( the newer Revell model, not the venerable Frog version ) I've also dabbled with the Cyber Hobby Sea Vixen, but made such a hash of the paint job that it's stilllingering on the shelf of shame! Looking forward to seeing your products!
Dave
Ah, the Frog Gannet....unhappy memories of trying to convert it to the AEW version using a vac form kit, I lost!