Balsalock

• Thread starter captain Propwash
  • Start date
C

captain Propwash

Can anyone tell me the best way to use Balsalock on liteply please.

How long do you let it dry out before applying your covering?

First Name
Grahame
Let it dry completely. The time that takes will vary on ambient temperature etc. but it turns clear when it’s dry and that’s how to tell it’s ready for the covering.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Dave,can I add the best way to apply this material is by using a piece of foam,simply sponge on a very thin film,that is all that you really need,no heavy applications that is dead weight.

F

fli48rc

Balsalock is similiar to Sig Stixit.... The adhesive that needs to be applied prior to adding a covering that doesn't have any "stickem" already, like LiteSpan.

First Name
Grahame
Personally I prefer Clearcoat to Balsaloc. It fuelproofs the join and if you’re covering using Solatex it adheres better but the covering can be easily removed and replaced if a repair is necessary.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** No Phoenix,two entirely different materials,Balsalock enables film to be ironed onto the wood to give better adhesion,once this has been done Mr Hardiman suggests sealing around the edges with Clearcote which is a type of proofer that stops the ingress of hot fuels.Clearcoat can be applied as a finish over Solartex but it is not necessary.

Use lenty of ventilation with the latter,the smell is evil,a very heavy vapour.

is balsalock simlar to clearcoat ?

P

Phoenix

yea i knew clearcoat is for finishing

i did a bit of googleing at college and it i found a little tut for patching and the person who wrote it said to apply a thin coat around the edges of the patch area

speaking of patching do you have any tips on this as on my plane(not finished yet) i burned a hole in the solarfilm due to the iron being too hot so i need to patch this but dont know how to do so

damn

i just realised sorry for hijacking the thread i really didnt mean to

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** Cut a patch with pinking shears larger than the tear,apply a very thin coat of balsaloc to the area that you intend to patch,set your iron on medium and tack the patch on each corner,then apply the iron all around the edge,finally tighten up with an heat gun,that should do the job.

yea i knew clearcoat is for finishing i did a bit of googleing at college and it i found a little tut for patching and the person who wrote it said to apply a thin coat around the edges of the patch area

speaking of patching do you have any tips on this as on my plane(not finished yet) i burned a hole in the solarfilm due to the iron being too hot so i need to patch this but dont know how to do so

damn

i just realised sorry for hijacking the thread i really didnt mean to

P

Phoenix

*** Cut a patch with pinking shears larger than the tear' date='apply a very thin coat of balsaloc to the area that you intend to patch,set your iron on medium and tack the patch on each corner,then apply the iron all around the edge,finally tighten up with an heat gun,that should do the job.[/quote']is the balsaloc necisary? i dont have any and there is no model shop near me now

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** Balsaloc is a Polymer,you could use at a push cheap PVA adhesive,the sort they sell in crafts shops that is a bit more rubbery than normal PVA,this will activate with heat in exactly the same was as Balsaloc,you need it really to stick the film on top of itself,otherwise it will lift off in the slipstream.

is the balsaloc necisary? i dont have any and there is no model shop near me now

D

duncan

Pheonix, your nearest model shop is in Dingwall 12(?) miles away, train or bus regular services. High St. near clock tower.

P

Phoenix

Pheonix' date=' your nearest model shop is in Dingwall 12(?) miles away, train or bus regular services. High St. near clock tower.[/quote']yea but money is a bit of a problem here fir me atm

i will maybe have a drive up there when i pass my drving test