"Barrage Balloon"?

P

peter22

During the 2nd W.W. - what was the purpose of a "Barrage Balloon"?

peter

D

Dave4468

I thought it was to stop Ju87s and similar things diving?

M

msm2

A barrage balloon, a large ballon tethered with metal cables, used to defend against low-level attack by aircraft by damaging the aircraft on collision with the cables, or at least making the attacker's approach more difficult. Some versions carried small explosive charges that would be pulled up against the aircraft to ensure its destruction.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Exactly as above. The Luftwaffe fitted some Ju88s with frames to cut the cables but the resultant weight and drag made an aircraft which barely had enough power to start with almost un-flyable. Makes good model box top art though!

Cheers

Steve

Added a scheme which shows the arrangement. Despite the rather curious look it would be a bog standard 70/71 over 65.

View attachment 23909

JU-88scheme.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
P

peter22

Hi Lads

Very good inteligent answers, you forgot that it was posted in the "Quiz Section" not the "Help wanted"

The "Barrage Balloon" purpose was to hold up the "Wire Cable"

LOL Peter :twisted:

F

Fenlander

Oooo, sneaky lol.

However, if I was flying along in one of those aircraft with the 'cow catcher' bedspread on the front and I saw a huge, if slightly saggy' ballon ahead with a heavy cable attached to the ground I would have to ponder. Ponder on wether I should fly my rather delicate and slightly unstable aircraft straight at the cable and hope I would have control after hitting it or do I go around it? Sorry, but I would go around the cable, turn round and go home as it would be obvious that my presence was not required by the people below......

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Hi LadsVery good inteligent answers, you forgot that it was posted in the "Quiz Section" not the "Help wanted"

The "Barrage Balloon" purpose was to hold up the "Wire Cable"

LOL Peter :twisted:
Well done Peter! I can hear my old Physics teacher saying "always read the question carefully". Good answers to a good question though.

Graham I reckon the only people lining up to fly that thing really would be volunteers who had "failed to understand the question".

Cheers

Steve

P

peter22

Hi

Just got back from my annual trip to Belgium ( 80 boxes of cigars oops! --- I mean 80 wooden boxes that I can cut up into planks for modeling. With regard to "Steves old Physics teacher" Hot Air/Water rises TRUE or FALSE ?

peter

F

Fenlander

mmmm, a QI moment. I just know if I say what I want to say, a siren wil sound and the lights will flash as Stephen Fry takes away a thousand points........ Not being Alan Davies, I will let someone else jump in first.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That faint smell of burning is me thinking.......trying to spot the obvious. I'm as nervous as a "super rat" around an unfamiliar food source!

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Oh well! I'll be the guinea pig and say "Yes. Hot Air/Water rises!"

I know Peter is dying to shoot someone down so it might as well be me!

Gern

P

peter22

Hi Dave

Steves "old Physics teacher" would have said if hot water could rise, it would be very messy making a cup of tea!

Cold water displaces the hot lighter water, in effect the Hot water "floats" on the denser Cold water.

peter

P

peter22

\ said:
Uuuugggh! You got me!Gern
Hi Dave

Just before we retire for this evening, something to keep you awake! working on that principle, Water must be at it's most Heaviest (maximum density) at 0 degrees C

True or False - Ha Ha And a Goodnight from me

peter

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Definitely false as it freezes at that temperature,at normal pressure. Ice is less dense than water (icebergs float). It's to do with hydrogen bonds between the water molecules. They are also responsible for water's incompressibility.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Steve, you beat me to it!

Haven't I read somewhere that water is at it's densest when it's under pressure at -4 Deg C?

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yep Gern,that's why I was careful to insert "at normal pressure". That Peter,he's a proper trickster!

Cheers

Steve

P

peter22

\ said:
Yep Gern,that's why I was careful to insert "at normal pressure". That Peter,he's a proper trickster!Cheers

Steve
Well done lads

fresh water is at it's highest density at +4 degrees C. It starts to expand both above/below that temperature. You are both getting too good! I will have to think of something new!

peter

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
One for you Peter - and anyone else that wants a go of course.

Create an anagram of the following phrase that leads to exactly the same thing:

ELEVEN PLUS TWO

Gern

P

peter22

\ said:
One for you Peter - and anyone else that wants a go of course.Create an anagram of the following phrase that leads to exactly the same thing:

ELEVEN PLUS TWO

Gern
Hi Dave

TWELVE PLUS ONE

is there a prize?????:no1b:

peter