'Bavaria Dreaming'...Korsun, Ukraine. Jan. 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Despite the intense cold Ernst Lensen was day dreaming.....

"Ernst, you're miles away. What are you thinking about?" enquired his tank Commander.

"Sorry, sir. It's all this snow. I can't help thinking about my home and family back in the Bavarian mountains."

From his tunic pocket he produces a picture of his wife and two children playing in the snow.

"Very nice, I can see why you are home sick. Don't worry, you will see home again. Once Fatty Goring gets off his fat arse, he will send supplies. Then we can arm up, fuel up and get some food in our bellies. Then I bet you we will have an orderly withdraw west to a defensive position which even the Popovs can't break!.....You are the best gunner I know Ernst, but we need to keep alert. Go below, get warm and give that big gun of yours a cuddle, we don't want it freezing when we need it do we?.

Lensen disappears through the hatch. The Commander stares at the Eastern horizon.

A few days later news would come that no further supplies could get through. The Russian Air Force was blasting everything out of the sky.

Hitler had issued an 'Order of the Day'...."No retreat, stand and fight to the death."

The Russian Army had launched a two pronged attack trying to pinch out the salient......

View attachment 116925

View attachment 116926

View attachment 116927

View attachment 116928

View attachment 116929

View attachment 116930

View attachment 116931

View attachment 116932

View attachment 116933

View attachment 116934

View attachment 116935

View attachment 116936

Weeks later, the Russian soldiers in their trucks didn't even glance at the wrecked German tank they passed, they'd seen dozens littered about....Much less notice the lone hastily dug grave by the machine.

Had they have looked closer, they would have been curious as to what the piece of paper was pinned to the makeshift cross. The 'paper' was a charred photo of a young woman with two children playing in the snow..........

Thanks for looking,

Ron

Bavaria dreaming 019.jpg

Bavaria dreaming 016.jpg

Bavaria dreaming 041.jpg

Bavaria dreaming 044.jpg

Bavaria dreaming 026.jpg

Bavaria dreaming 005.jpg

Bavaria dreaming 017.jpg

Bavaria dreaming 043.jpg

Bavaria dreaming 046.jpg

Bavaria dreaming 047.jpg

Bavaria dreaming 022.jpg

Bavaria dreaming 048.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's brilliant Ron top marks mate

You know I've been practicing with winter camo , well you've just ruined what I wanted to do ! I have been practicing so I could do very much the same thing , I have a tiger and I've bought loads of tamiya wall sets to do a broken ruined house ( some of us can't build a house out of pizza bases :D )

I'm going to have to think of something else now :sad:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
:P :p:p:p ;) ....tough mate!

Thanks for great post too Al'

Ron

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
:P :p:p:p ;) ....tough mate!
Thanks for great post too Al'

Ron
I can't believe how close it was to what I was thinking of doing , it really is uncanny

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
I can't believe how close it was to what I was thinking of doing , it really is uncanny
Remember the old saying Alan......'Great minds.........' er, lol!

I'm sure you'll come up with something. How about one of those poll thingies people like doing or simply ask for suggestions and ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Jason
A beautiful piece of work Ron. A touching story as well. Reminds us that all sides were human and most were young men missing their loved ones, doing the bidding of their masters hundreds of miles away from home.

D

Deleted member 3568

Tremendous story and as always a great dio I love your work, and it was such a quick build.

L

Laurie

Very nice Ron. Like the figures they look very authentic.

Laurie

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very nice Ron! I like the photos, very dramatic with nice angels. Ground work, building, vehicle and figures up to your usual standards. ;) Like the sky in the back round, very creative, makes me to start thinking myself about a more creative photographic approach myself in future. Cheers Jim:smiling3:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Cracking dioarama Ron it's very sad Ernst never made it home to his family.:eek:

I can only hope the commander faired better than his poor gunner.

T

Tibbs

Thats a treat..... Love the photos showing the sky from behind, very real, a first class job

S

steve scan

Superb Ron, excellent all round build and I like the dio, looks cold.

P

Polux

Brilliant work Ron!!

The story and the pics are terrific as well!! I love them ;)

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Ron.

All the love and care taken to put all the rubble, dirt and dust in the right places then you just go and cover it all up with snow. But what great looking snow top work once again Ron

Oh and a very nice and touching story to go with it.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Amazing work once again ron , the build almost takes a back seat to the touching, superbly crafted back story. They both tie together perfectly and give a great sense of humanity to the ugly business of war , great build doodah coming your way , cheers tony

First Name
barry
Superb Ron winter wash looks great ,also photos are well done.