Beaver

First Name
Mike
This is the old 70's Airfix 1/72 Beaver with a bit of tidying up and a non-standard RAF scheme. Sanded all the rivets off, re-scribed and generally cleaned up the kit. The various aerials/antennae were also added using photos for reference. Considering its age it went together pretty well.

Beaver_0035.jpg

Beaver_0036.jpg

Beaver_0040.jpg

Beaver_0044.jpg

Beaver_0045.jpg

28LR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Another underrated airfix moulding brought up to date- I love it! A lot of their mid to late seventies moulds were excellent, only needing a bit of TLC to produce a great looking model , or in this case outstanding , top work Mike , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Another fantastic build, your Beaver has come out superbly Mike. To the old-kit doubters, see, this is what can be done.

D

delmonteman

"nice beaver!" (in best Leslie Nielson voice)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

A

Andy Mac

Wow, nicely done, it just shows what can be done with an average kit.

A

AlasdairGF

Cracking job. Have you done something in particular to get the forward-facing (landing) light looking so realistic?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Breathtaking! Another 1/72 mini masterpiece

Have yet another 'gong' to the much deserved collection you already have!!!

Cheers

Paul

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Mike, what can I say...yet one more superb 1/72 scale winged wonder.

Si:smiling3:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Outstanding again Mike. Just an observation I notice that you never give the tyres that weighted look is there a reason for this? This in no way detracts from the amazing builds you create.

First Name
Mike
Thanks for the kind words everyone :smiling3:

\ said:
Cracking job. Have you done something in particular to get the forward-facing (landing) light looking so realistic?
Thanks Alasdair. Yes, I added a MV Products lens and made a new cover out of clear packing tape.

\ said:
Outstanding again Mike. Just an observation I notice that you never give the tyres that weighted look is there a reason for this?
Other than that I always forget? It's a good point, and worth doing as it prevents that 'tiptoe' look. Well spotted Vaughan, and thanks for the reminder :smiling3:

selrach

SMF Supporter
Mike, I especially like this example of your work. I cannot see how any improvement could be made to this model (except as above?). You have even put a bit of fading in the orange colour to good esthetic effect. I have heard that this model and others were constructed to be featured in a number of magazine articles, so you evidently are truly a pro. Would you share with us in some detail the materials and processes you use to get such a perfect paint finish on your models? I always get a bit of roughness even though I thin the paint. I would really like to avoid wet sanding if possible.