"Bendy Bus" VW Doka / 5th wheel camper kitbash

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Cheers Andy.

There's chance for it to all go wrong when I get around to paint though lol. I'm going for a fairly common scheme of white above the bodyline, colour below. Sounds simple but I've had several practice runs at getting a consistent line around all the compound and internal curves, but not got it right yet!
Sublime scratch work Andy, logically the space between the planks could serve as drainage for rain or wind to pass through if you've fitted a Porsche engine. :tears-of-joy: Masking compound curves for me is solved by using thin strips of masking tape either 1mm or less then the next layer slightly wider and so on. Imagine masking a 1:1 scale car with a 2 foot wide tape. :smiling2: You've shown some fantastic finishing with paint jobs in past builds and with painting real cars under your belt I see no problem with getting this shiny and new.

This build is certainly unique and needs marking down in my list of great builds.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Mike, Pete and Richard.

I did consider the Porsche engine and wheels for this Mike, but the costs put me off a bit. I still think some fancy wheels would go well with it, but since I need 6 I'd have to get 2 sets, which will end up costing nearly as much as the original kits. I then thought about "banding" the wheels, a popular modification on real VW's, by just widening the originals, but then I'd still need to find wider tyres!

This is the kind of thing I based it on Richard, with open slats. Ideally I need to rip mine in half lengthways, but since I haven't got loads of wood to waste I've played safe.

lLSZKkN.jpg

As for the masking. My thoughts are that doing the white top half first would be best, then masking that off to add the lower colour. That would mean following the various curves while getting the tape right into the edge shown by the yellow tape below

mFMX07j.jpg

Whilst it's probably possible, it'll be testing to say the least. An easier way would be to spray the colour then mask where the red tape is shown, and add the white after. As we all know though white over a strong colour doesn't always go well and tests have shown I'll need around 5 coats of MRP white, which will lead to a bit of a build up. Next test is masking fluid. I have the Mr Hobby stuff than can be applied then cut back to a tight line. Will see how that works.

I'll figure it out, it just needs a few more coats of thinking, as we say here :smiling5:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Andy, I think masking just underneath the curve is doable with thin strip of tape. You will need a steady hand when cutting the masking fluid and it might leave a wedge from the cut.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great build Andy. some very nice work going on for sure.

Oh, no it doesn't!
Oops! Sorry Simon, for a second or two, I thought I was at a pantomime! ;) ;)
It does Ron and in one quick sitting Andy's covered it. :tears-of-joy: Not saying the brush didn't play a part...he did paint the pipes and details freehand

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I don’t agree Richard. Both spraying and brushing can give excellent results when done well, and bad results when done badly. The difference is that spraying takes all the effort out of it ;)
Going back to the OP, if you go for white over colour, could you first shoot a coat of white primer over the masked model to build the colour opacity before you go for the top coat Andy?

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Ron. I'd like to think it's looking well, and I'm really having a ball. Couldn't be happier!

After testing there's little to choose between the primer I have and the two paints I've tried to be honest Tim, when I take dry film thickness into consideration. The primer does cover a little better, but gives a bigger build up on the masking edge. Mr Color do have a specific product for this situation, Mr Base White, a highly opaque white primer, but out of everything I've got the MRP seems to give the best coverage for its thickness.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The difference is that spraying takes all the effort out of it ;)

Tim, I reckon your spell checker used 'spraying' instead of 'brushing'. Think masking. ;)
Either way up we are in danger of smothering Andy's superb build with our respective twaddle. 'Nuf said eh?... :thumb2:

Thanks Ron. I'd like to think it's looking well, and I'm really having a ball. Couldn't be happier!

Good man yer'self Andy. That is all that matters. Carry on!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Coming on a treat and the build is a treat to follow.
As for the colour change line. I would spray the white and then mask to the curve bottom - your yellow tape.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Jim. That's definitely the way I'd prefer to go, I just need to step up my masking game. Even 2mm Tamiya curve tape won't do it lol. Looks like I'm cutting a whole load of 1mm strips!

I can hear Ron chanting "brush, brush, brush", but I'm nowhere near competent enough to manage that yet. :smiling5:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A most interesting build Andy. I hate painting white as it seems to take coat after coat to cover, and as you go it obliterates detail. Thought your copper wire frame work was top notch very straight and looked the part.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John. The frame was a spur of the minute thing after viewing a few pictures. Really pleased with it.

D

Deleted member 7181

I made a start on the trailer yesterday. Like the pick up there was a lot of fiddling, measuring & trimming to do, then a final deep breath before I started to chop the front end off. Here's how I left it overnight - you can never have too many clamps!

dVGXrpg.jpg

All went well, and though there's still plenty of work to do the basic shape is there. A piece of 4mm rod will connect the two together eventually, just trial fitted here to get the swivel points in line. I would have preferred it further back, but the trailer would then have hit the bumper on tight turns.

m6WL3b2.jpg

A piece of checker plate was roughly cut out for the rear deck to establish heights, and a 5th wheel found from an old kit. It's a bit on the small side, but better than just having a hole. I'll think about making something more in scale, but it will have to be thin.

fCkJp3T.jpg

And the combo hooked up. The roof and side panel nearest the camera are still removable for now, so I can work in the interior.

iaipYEt.jpg

WDwZgoe.jpg

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I made a start on the trailer yesterday. Like the pick up there was a lot of fiddling, measuring & trimming to do, then a final deep breath before I started to chop the front end off. Here's how I left it overnight - you can never have too many clamps!

View attachment 382518

All went well, and though there's still plenty of work to do the basic shape is there. A piece of 4mm rod will connect the two together eventually, just trial fitted here to get the swivel points in line. I would have preferred it further back, but the trailer would then have hit the bumper on tight turns.

View attachment 382519

A piece of checker plate was roughly cut out for the rear deck to establish heights, and a 5th wheel found from an old kit. It's a bit on the small side, but better than just having a hole. I'll think about making something more in scale, but it will have to be thin.

View attachment 382520

And the combo hooked up. The roof and side panel nearest the camera are still removable for now, so I can work in the interior.

View attachment 382521

View attachment 382522
That looks excellent mate.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I love it when a plan comes together. All the effort seems to be paying off. PaulE

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

A brace of Paul's, thank you..

Having looked at a few pictures of this kind of 5th wheel I don't think the size is that far out actually, so it'll be staying.

QAYEMfd.jpg

First Name
Andy
Just looking through the progress so far I was going to say a truck fifth wheel would be too large, but I see from your last post that you now know that. Build is looking bloody good mate, will you be making adjustable landing legs so that the king pin does not hit the deck when coupling up? Perhaps I should remind myself that I am not a driver any more. ;)

Andy.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Andy.

My dad was a driver all through my childhood and used to take me and my brother with him during the school holidays. He'd let us help him hitch up etc. That's probably why I thought it was too small!