Best Primer to use?

P

Partsguy26

Evening all,

Could someone please inform me of the best primer to use for plastic models?

Never really used it but i want to make sure i use the best one to get the best possible result from models.

Thanks in advance

B

backonthecase

I use Halfords Plastic primer for general use, for finer details I have a can of Mr Surfacer 1000 for finer stuff.

Hope this helps

Stuart

F

Fenlander

I an a great fan of the Valejo acrylic polyurethane primers via airbrush. I not only use the standard grey, black and white but also the later finish colour primers. The bronze green primer works very well as a final coat as well as do all the colours. I now have the dark yellow, german grey, and a few others. They spray straight from the bottle but you can thin them. Check out the whole range in John's scalemodelshop.co.uk. Most are available in small, medium and large. Cannot recommend them enough

P

Partsguy26

I cant afford an airbrush, so i'd be looking for a can, but money isnt the easiest thing to come by. I just want a decent primer for as small a cost as possible. I work for a BMW dealer that has a bodyshop, so i may have a little word with one of the painters to see if they have a spare can i can

First Name
Adrian
I also use Halfords primers, grey, black and white, for around £7.50 there good value for a large can, its a cost vs amount issue for me :smiling3:

Adrian

P

phalinmegob

if you want cheap go to a local poundland and their grey primer is only, you guessed it a quid,what more can you ask for. do it outside though cos it stinks,works great, been using it for the last few months.dont get too close to the model because it comes out of the can quickly just stand back and mist it over.

P

Partsguy26

thanks for your help guys, i will get good at this model making malarke one day lol

D

Doggy

I almost bought the Tamiya primer tonight but it came with loads of health warnings on the can. I thought better off it.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I use wilkinsons gray primer, cheaper than Halfords, and to my eye just as good.

Tony.

B

backonthecase

Doggy I don't think we get Wilkinsons in Scotland mate, it's a hardware/paint type store in England & Wales! Really good place from what I hear, but they do mail order so might be worth checkin em out.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

T

tufty

doggy wilkinsons is a shop mate not a brand name but yes poundland primer is just as good and cheaper

D

Doggy

I bought some from Halfords. i'll try it out on my next model, £7. It better be good.

B

backonthecase

It's better value than many "model" primers that's for sure!

F

Fenlander

Halfords is great, if it is the 'Plastic Primer', used that quite a bit. Halfords standard primer is also good but a tad courser and needs a bit of polishing prior to top coat . The reason I went back to airbrushing primer is that I like to use the grey white and black to do pre shading at the primer stage then use a thinned base colour primer over it to get some shadows and highlights (if ever I get really good at it I will show off lol) This, with the Vallejo Polyurethane acrylic gives a real tough colour layer ready for weathering. Sometimes it is too tough and makes chipping a nightmare using hairspray or chipping fluid. Value is important but when technique overrides value, it is still worth it. Not only that but a large (200 ml) Vallejo Grey primer is around £10 from Johns shop. I can assure you that this will do the equivalent of 3 to 4 (probably more) rattle cans.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Halfords standard grey primer everytime for me, a £7 tin will last ages and it always gives a fine uniform finish if misted on carefully, cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Halfords Plastic Primer here. Sticks like sh#t to a blanket and will take a very light sanding/polish after 12 hours.

Steve

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am with Graham on this - Vallejo primer every time.

F

Fenlander

Wow cheers Barry, I was getting ganged up on here lol

:foodfight:

B

BillyM

Was looking at the Wilkinsons grey primer which was an enamel, can I paint acrylics on top of an enamel? I'm a newbie to this so any info would be grateful.

Wilkinsons are opening all over Scotland now, offhand I know they are in Paisley, Motherwell and Clydebank.