Best stuff for rigging??

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon, just tied down the old rug as its a tad windy here!!

About to have a basic go at rigging, now the ??

There's a good few brands and thicknesses, what's suitable for 1 350, some say for 1 700 to 1 350 or 1 350 to 1 200?

I assume the rigging was attached under the poles on a mast??

Ta bob

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have tried that 'fantastic' stuff from Van Ousie (?) its;
good because it is a little bit elastic.
good because it is a, thin and b, comes in several thicknesses.
terrible because if you have any form of hard/rough skin on your fingers it will find it and snag.
terrible because can only be stuck with CA
Terrible because it is 99% impossible to knot.
other than that it is per foot bloody expensive!

I use fly tiers thread. It can be found in very thin sizes. you can get both waxed and without (go for the one without) and can be found in loads of colours. Battleships not a problem as it was all black/grey but handy for other things like rope and cable in other colours...
It can be tied off in place and locked in with almost any glue or even clear varnish.
It has not stretch or give so if you knock it, something will give. normally the plastic . . . swearing will follow.

regardless what you use have a look at fly tying tools. Spool holders and knotting tools are very good things to have at hand. Also a long stiff wire with hook bent on one end is very useful for fishing threads through gaps and the such.
If you want to go nuts and need fixing points to the deck single strand wire makes great eyes. Drill a hole glue an eye in and you're done.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Me, I’d go with Ezeline. Elasticated, so very easy to get taught, gives way if knocked, and glues easily with CA…..comes in several colours and sizes as well……I’ve only used it on aircraft rigging though, so it may not work for ship rigging.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
+1 for Ezeline. I use it for my builds. Comes in different gauges and colours.