Best Way To Cut Styrene Sheet Accurately

S

Stevekir

When cutting a simple shape like a square or a rectangle, I mark out the lines on the sheet, put a (usually steel) ruler on and cut with a sharp craft knife. The problem is that the ruler (no matter what it is made of) slips and the cut wanders, ruining the cut. I have tried using double-sided adhesive tape in two places under the sheet on to the cutting mat, and another two pieces between the ruler and the sheet. This helps 90% of the time but the odd failure still happens. Also, the sticky residue is difficult to remove (although "Stickystuuff Remover", widely available) is useful. At present I amusing 0.8 mm sheet from stock and I could have used about 0.4 for the present part, which would have helped.

How do you people cut styrene sheed accurately?

First Name
Adrian
I use one similar to this Steve, it holds the card and I just score the plastic and snap it in two once removed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-A5-Precision-Paper-Card-Art-Trimmer-Photo-Cutter-Cutting-Mat-Blade-Office-Kit-/261974427322?hash=item3cfee486ba:g:uUYAAOSwPcVVoLNN

Adrian

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I use one similar to this Steve, it holds the card and I just score the plastic and snap it in two once removed.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-A5-Precision-Paper-Card-Art-Trimmer-Photo-Cutter-Cutting-Mat-Blade-Office-Kit-/261974427322?hash=item3cfee486ba:g:uUYAAOSwPcVVoLNN

Adrian
I've just bought something similar for the same purpose .....

Another thing to try is to glue a piece of fine sandpaper/emery cloth to the back of a steel ruler - I used CA. The sandpaper grips the surface of the plastic quite well although some care is still needed. Best thing is though, it leaves no sticky marks.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, you only need your steel rule and a sharp craft knife. Nothing else....

Where folks go wrong is to try and cut too deep with the initial cut, you are certain to wander off the line.

Hold the steel rule on the line and gently scribe along with your knife, angling the blade towards the rule. Doing this will ensure the blade doesn't wander off track. You don't need much more than the weight of the knife. Once this guide cut is done, the subsequent cuts are done with you 'walking' your fingers along the rule where the knife is cutting, gently pressing the rule as you go.

Another common mistake is to have the knife near vertical to the cut....For the initial scribe cut, have the knife as flat as possible.

Once the initial cut is achieved, repeat the process, but put slightly more pressure on the knife, still keeping the blade tilted towards the edge of the rule.

Repeat the passes along the line until it cuts through. Never put too much pressure on the knife. If you do you could still wander off the cut line. Don't be in a hurry

Don't be tempted to snap the sheet, let the knife do the job for you.......straight through.

Follow the above and you will cut the sheet neatly every time, no matter how thick.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Samer Ibrahem

For straight lines i just use xacto knife and roller.

For circle i use this tool look attached photo the tool with red color dont know tool name .

Ill make post tonight showing u all i have and its common tools and very usefull.

trash-06.jpg

Edite: tool name circle cutter.

Last edited:

Paul Davies

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
As Ron says small cuts dont put pressure on the rule.

T

tommy1drop

Hi Steve I`ve just come across your posting, I to was having problems cutting styrene sheets as well as balsa, until I came across this, no problems at all since using this tool, easy to use and a lot less hassle:rolleyes:

I got mine of e-bay, you can also get replacement blades from them a little cost, I don`t know if you`d be interested but here is the link, just in case;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/proops-MULTI-ANGLE-CRAFT-AND-HOBBY-GUILLOTINE-modellers-miniaturist-dollshaouse-/111865266953?hash=item1a0bb08309:g:gPEAAMXQs6FRSZwO

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
For straight lines i just use xacto knife and roller.
For circle i use this tool look attached photo the tool with red color dont know tool name .

Ill make post tonight showing u all i have and its common tools and very usefull.

View attachment 143024

Edite: tool name circle cutter.
A tool similar to this used in sheet metal work is called a trepanner.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this is one I,have always had trouble with as well Steve,cutting plastic sheet be it 2mm or so

always seamed to slip,and often oops that got me in the finger,:eek:

some very nice tips and good advice,

do like some of the machine things as well,will be putting them on the shopping list,:rolleyes:

D

demon

Try doing very light cuts till you have a groove for the scalpel to run in works every time

Roger

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Hi Steve I`ve just come across your posting, I to was having problems cutting styrene sheets as well as balsa, until I came across this, no problems at all since using this tool, easy to use and a lot less hassle:rolleyes:
I got mine of e-bay, you can also get replacement blades from them a little cost, I don`t know if you`d be interested but here is the link, just in case;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/proops-MULTI-ANGLE-CRAFT-AND-HOBBY-GUILLOTINE-modellers-miniaturist-dollshaouse-/111865266953?hash=item1a0bb08309:g:gPEAAMXQs6FRSZwO
Many thanks. This looks interesting. I have made a note: my birthday is in March.

Good old Proops! When I worked in London in the 1970-80s I haunted their shop in Tottenham court Road. It was full of everything technical you could want.

S

Stevekir

I recently had a thought: why not use a scriber to make cuts in poly sheet? I tried it this morning on 1 mm sheet and it worked a treat. About 5 cuts were enough to allow bending it off. If the cut has several straight ones at angles it is necessary to cut more deeply. I used a Tamiya Plastic Scriber II.

First Name
Robert
Just come across this post and I've just been building my first scratch build and the cutting of Windows and doors took me a while but I followed Rons guide of the first cut and then did subsequent cuts but used a bigger craft knife than the scalpel ( this took ages ) but now I have it down to a fine art. I use 2mm and 4 mm plastic card and this method works for me ( thanks Ron )

Cheers

Robert

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
glad my tip is of some use Robert.

No matter which tool is used, the main reason folks stray off the cutting line is because they press too hard with the initial cut / scribe. Always use the minimum of 'press'. Then as the cut gets deeper, apply more pressure.......never be tempted to bend or snap off the piece, let the tool do it for you.

Finally, always use a metal straight edge for your cut guide, never, ever use a plastic rule or similar..........Yes, you have! ;)

N

noble

I've found that by using a panel line tool and make a couple of passes the use a sharp number 11 blade to do the final scoring an apply a bit of blue tack to the top and bottom of the ruler helps it remain in place.

Scott