Billing Boats Bluenose II

D

delmonteman

First side is slowly getting there.

Sent using my fat thumbs and Tapatalk

D

delmonteman

Still planking away! Each one being only 3mm in width means there's going to be approx 25 on either side. Some of which are getting very bendy now (about half way down) I'm managing to bend them with just hot water but having to hold them in the shape I want while the water dries is taking bloody ages. If I put them on while they're still damp, the glue doesn't take. One things for sure, this one is going to take me a while to finish!

C

Caledonia

Hi Gav, coming along nicely, hope you are working both sides together to avoid a banana boat. Cheers Derek

D

delmonteman

No, I wasn't! I realised about 1/3 of the way down one side, that it was starting to get a slight bend to it so immediately started the other side. There's still a very slight bend but I think it's only noticeable now because I'm looking for it. Short of pulling the planks off and starting again, I don't suppose there's anything I can do about it now and the curve isn't big enough for me to do that. Lesson learned for next time though.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Gav, when you have planked the other side up to the same stage as your picture, carry on the same side with three or four planks......This sometimes creates a slight 'twist' the other way and might help to square the hull up a bit. But if you're happy with the hull, and it doesn't sound as though there is much of a twist....leave well alone.

I hope the above makes some sort of sense...

Then as Derek writes, do alternate sides as you progress with the planking.

Looking good.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
S

steve244

coming along nicely iv'e been using the wifes steam iron for bending and shaping the planks but be careful of the steam tho after a couple of burnt fingers started using some long nose pliers to hold the plank and gradually bend it while running the iron over it i think the wood i have for my billings kit is obechi and bends and holds it shape easily. cheers steve

D

delmonteman

I've no idea what type of wood I've got but so far letting it sit in a pint glass of warm water seems to be doing the trick before bending.

D

delmonteman

Now I'm getting there. Should be done planking tomorrow with any luck. Now the question is, what filler do I use? Model or wood?

So far, it's nowhere near as difficult as I thought it'd be. Anyone sitting on the fence about buying something similar should, definitely, just do it!

D

delmonteman

Yep. Forgot the photo!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks good Gav. As far as filler well there are a load of choices. If its only a shelf model, and not going in the water and the hull is being painted, I would go for exterior grade wood filler. Model filler would be OK but would cost a fortune. A good cheap(ish) and very fast solution is good old P-38 body filler from Halfords or the like. If it don't need major sanding you can get be with sanding sealer (varnish and talcum).

If you are going for the varnished wood look, not so many choices. Sanding sealer and loads of sand paper..then varnish and sand ad lib.

Ian M

D

delmonteman

I'd like to leave it as varnished wood but I don't think this first attempt at planking is up to it. Everything's fairly smooth but I need more planking practice to leave it on show.

S

steve244

done a really good job there bud, im just using ordinary wood filler i did have a go with the putty but it gives off a strong odour so only using that for small jobs now but nearly finnished that part of the job. cheers steve

C

Caledonia

See that wasn't so hard. Filler - never used it on a hull, if you are going to paint it use several coats of PVA glue, and for the larger gaps use wood shavings. Cheers Derek

D

delmonteman

Planking all dried this morning. Thinned some wood filler with water and smeared a thin layer all over it with a cut up credit card. Then started the laborious job of sanding. A fair way to go but it's looking better than I thought.

I've also varnished the deck. I think it looks OK so may not bother planking that.

S

Sky Raider

That is a fantastic job mate. Keep up the good work.

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is looking very good Gav. I think you are messing with us saying this is a first attempt though. Really nice work.

Ian M

D

delmonteman

Oh believe me, the crappy photo's are hiding a multitude of sins! All on hold for the rest of the day now, I've ran out of wet & dry!

D

delmonteman

Had a slight rethink to the back end after the fantastic instructions told me to make it all nice and lovely, then, told me to stick another piece on the back. Bit more filler lumped on to get the shape right again. Billings' instructions really are shocking.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Instructions?

In Danish they are called Byggevejledning which translated would be Building GUIDE with the emphasis on guide. They are not the best are they.

Ian M