Billings boats 1/144 RMS Titanic

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Peter WHATS happening on this build ? an ive been lookin through your build an i see you have fitted the 2 outer prop shafts but what about the main centre shaft as i cant see how you will fit that in as on how far you have proggesed on buildin the hull ? but vey nice work so far
chrisb

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
HI Peter WHATS happening on this build ? an ive been lookin through your build an i see you have fitted the 2 outer prop shafts but what about the main centre shaft as i cant see how you will fit that in as on how far you have proggesed on buildin the hull ? but vey nice work so far
chrisb
She's in dry Dock at the moment
The centre prop fits like this
IMG_20230724_084645.jpg
And I have been giving serious thought to making her radio controlled but there is issues with the centre prop as credible evidence has surfaced that titanic was fitted with a three bladed one and not four but until a picture surfaces we will never really know because all the pictures claiming to be titanics props are in fact Olympics

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
well Peter i cant help on info about wheather it was a 4 bladed prop or 3 bladed but every model ive seen of her had a 4 bladed prop in the cente but you could make her R/C an have just the 2 outer props workin as you have fitted in the proper prop shaft as they look like it to me so this ship really could sail all you would have to put up with is people sayin wheres the ceberg lol
chrisb ps though this would make a fanstaic model to see sailin on the water

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
According to this web site, which seems to be rather up on the subject the Titanic had all three bladed screws while the Olympic had a four bladed center and three bladed port and starboard screws.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
According to this web site, which seems to be rather up on the subject the Titanic had all three bladed screws while the Olympic had a four bladed center and three bladed port and starboard screws.
Thanks I had found out that titanic had 3 blades on the centre so I now have to find one

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks I had found out that titanic had 3 blades on the centre so I now have to find one
Peter not sure but i think i have a 3 bladed brass prop about 1" in size if you will wait a few days i'll have a look to see if i can find it an you can have it for free
chrisb

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Peter not sure but i think i have a 3 bladed brass prop about 1" in size if you will wait a few days i'll have a look to see if i can find it an you can have it for free
chrisb
That's most kind no hurry I will probably years before I even get to that point

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The rate you build at you better give Chris your address so he can post it tomorrow lol.
IVE got to find that prop first Ian as i had it in my hand about last week but where it is now well but will have a look tomorrow an send to pete
chrisb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
At 17ft in 144 scale you are looking at around 1.4 inch or 3.5cm

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Peter well i just spent all morning lookin through all my boxes of modeling stuff an well i could not find that three bladed prop for nuts an had to give up so just as i was walking out of my room i see out the corner of my eye something glinting a gold colour an just had a look an yes ive found the prop so if you send me your address BY PM Peter i will send it to you for free ok
chrisb

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Pm sent
HI Peter well i just spent all morning lookin through all my boxes of modeling stuff an well i could not find that three bladed prop for nuts an had to give up so just as i was walking out of my room i see out the corner of my eye something glinting a gold colour an just had a look an yes ive found the prop so if you send me your address BY PM Peter i will send it to you for free ok
chrisb
Pm sent

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ian dont you mean 7ft ? as my nimitz was in 1/44 scale an that was only 9ft long
chrisb
I was talking about the center prop. It was 17ft in diameter. which at 1:144 works out at about 1 and 3/8 of an inch or 3.5cm