Bird Watching a Relaxing Hobby

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mr Black bird is still calling in for his mealy worms.Trouble is now the Starlings are getting braver and attempting to get in on the act .He see one or two off but when a whole gang of the land it's a bit to much for him , ok If I sit next to his food .
We have one Wren, comes over the fence and goes down behind the rose trellis and in to the running water from the filter box.
The resident Sparrow Hawk is still about , flies in were fast between the houses takes mostly pigeons and black birds as they attempt to flee
Every day we have Red Kites, one does a sweep of the area just after lunch, some one must feed him as he can be seen dropping down .
When the were first reintroduced in The Purlies Woods near Corby I remember seeing a pair high in the sky calling when working near by. Now 15 odd years later they are common in our area .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If you like kites john, watch this….
I went there once. Absolutely spellbinding. They feed literally hundreds of them.
Reminds me of crows or gulls following the tractor as they plough
Fantastic video thanks Tim .

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've been working up in Bideford the last few weeks,(pain in the arse,110 mile round trip,7 times in the last 10 days!! :sad: ) However, living in the grounds of the reservoir, there are a couple Partridges :smiling3:
Not particularly glamorous I admit,but lovely to see nevertheless ;)

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've been working up in Bideford the last few weeks,(pain in the arse,110 mile round trip,7 times in the last 10 days!! :sad: ) However, living in the grounds of the reservoir, there are a couple Partridges :smiling3:
Not particularly glamorous I admit,but lovely to see nevertheless ;)
Hmmm,the short video didn't work!!
But here's a pic,(not great I'm afraid, instead!!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Orv & Willa are our local bald eagles often seen fishing the Miami river just a couple blocks away. A peregrine falcon from downtown checked out our park across the street a couple years ago, but our local gang, 30 to 40, of little birds (wrens?) chased it away. I feed these happy little guys all year.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Just as I was about to start mowing: a murder in the garden. Unbelievably, the camera was to hand. A Sparrowhawk with one of the local Starling youngsters.

View attachment 454708
View attachment 454707View attachment 454706
Jack I have about 2 or more like this one but there a little different in color there called Coopers Hawks that stay around here they really keep a check on the mice and Rats. I really like them around they seem to never bother my Chickens.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Orv & Willa are our local bald eagles often seen fishing the Miami river just a couple blocks away. A peregrine falcon from downtown checked out our park across the street a couple years ago, but our local gang, 30 to 40, of little birds (wrens?) chased it away. I feed these happy little guys all year.
Paul that’s great to see that. I’ve seen one Bald Eagle flight over here in my 26 years living here.