Bleeding

meirion658

SMF Supporter
First Name
Meirion
Afternoon all,

As I'm new in the world of Airbrushing I seem to be having issues with bleeding when masking up! Which is causing me grief!!

The masking tape I use is Tamyia and the paints I use are AK 3rd Gen.

Any advice tips on how I can stop this in future? I do press the the masking tape down firm so I wonder if the paint is thinned down to much

Thanks all

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
It's a potential problem for everyone so your not alone. The only things I can say is burnish the edges of the tape and try not to spray towards the tape edge. You're right in suggesting that thinner paint is more likely to bleed under the tape.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Paint might be thinned ability much but that should show when you spray.
One trick is to do a light coat for the colour you have masked over. Some use a clear coat. Then when that has filled the 'leaky' bits, spray the second colour.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Cutting a fresh edge on the tape also helps, stick tape onto a piece of glass, use straight edge and fresh blade to remove the existing edge.
Useful on older rolls that have been abused a bit.

Also, just as when spraying without masks, build the colour up in layers, better a few light passes than one heavy pass.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The trick mentioned by Ian is a great one, then go very lightly at first with the "new" colour to further seal the edge.

As Karl says, building up thinner coats is best too.