Blood Effect

S

sprayman

Hi All

Been thinking about a medi unit dio, I have been trying to create the blood effect, and not the red paint effect, been experimenting to try and get that coagulated oldish blood look.

I would like to know if this effect would pass, and also what do you guys use to simulate blood, and any tips you may have.

Thanks for reading.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks good. Maybe a little darker,in my thankfully limited experience only very fresh blood is really red. How did you get that spatter?

Cheers

Steve

S

sprayman

Thanks for the input Steve, I will attempt to darken it, I know what you mean, more coagulated. The blood splatter was created by dipping a brush in the blood brew and touching the crown on the airbrush, then just fire it at the target.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks great Ray - may have to borrow that technique at some stage.

I agree with Steve though - a touch darker.

Cheers

Paul

S

sprayman

Okay guys took on board what you said, added a bit more black oil paint to the mix, am I getting closer?.

Thanks all for looking.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Spot on!

...STRETCHER BEARER! (or whatever the translation is in German)

Paul

ps. Do you have any work to show us? You seem very knowledgeable and I'd love to see some examples.

pps. Keep the tips coming they are excellent :smiling3:

D

dm73

Ray, as Paul said "spot on' , looks very realistic. If you want to see real blood and body parts there is a site called rotten.com, not for the faint hearted but shows real gunshot wounds and ballistic effects on bodys as well as other weird and gory stuff. DEFIANTLY NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH.

Regards

darren

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Splatter pattern is good but if he is just laying down bleeding, would there be spatter?

As others have mentioned fresh blood is pretty bright or really dark, depends where he was shot. Blood from a liver shot will be so dark it would apper black on most other surfaces other than white.

Old blood stains would be hedging towards brown dried blood would be a sort of deep red. The most important thing to remeber is gravity. Blood runs down hill. A small amount of wicking will of course show where fabric will absorbe the blood and spread it outwards from the wound.

Hope that is of some help.

Ian M

S

sprayman

Thanks for the input and kind words, nice to know im getting there.

Thanks Paul, alas my knowledge is just paint related im sorry to say, worked with colours and colour matching most of my life, this forum has all the knowledge you need.

Rough old site Darren, but some good blood pics to use as referrence.Thanks for the input.

Nearly forgot, the blood mix is Tamiya Clear Red, then keep touching it with a brush dipped in Black oil paint wash.

You can apply this to bandages also on your models, let the blood mix set and do a very light burnt sienna wash on the outline of your blood stain.

S

sprayman

Thanks for the info Ian, everything helps, much appreciated.The splatter was a test thing as I wanted to know how it would dry, going to use it up a wall, I fancy the idea of the medics in a building, with another building opposite with a Russian sniper in it.

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
30 odd years of dealing with bloodstained people, and the last one looks good to me.

Shot or badly damaged people bleed from arteries and veins at the same time so it tends to be darker red anyway.

A big artery can send blood up to 20 feet until the pressure drops and blood mixed with water needs a surprising amount of water before it loses colour. It also gets everywhere.

Older blood or blood exposed to air for more than a few minutes will look dark anyway,and larger volumes will also look like a red jelly, (port or a good Merlot should give you the right colour).

For spatter trying dipping (someone elses) toothbrush or other stiff bristled brush in the colour and flicking it with a fingertip.

"Sanitatsjaeger" or "Sani" should bring a German medic running.

Peter

Peter

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'll just add that your second effort has it for me. I thought you'd slipped with your scalpel!

Cheers

Steve

S

sprayman

Many thanks for the info and insight Peter,very much appreciated, and thanks for the info on sanitat jager, I never knew that, you learn something new everyday.

Thanks Steve, sometimes I think it would be easier to scalpel my finger.

Great info from everyone, thanks guys.

N

noble

Steve i've just been assisting carrie with here GB dio and the best way we have found is TamiyaXf7 red paint and allow it to dry then add a few splashes of XF9 hull red to the middle of it, try it out and see what you think?

scott

K

Kieran

Hey Ray

you don't happen to know the brand of Black oil you used?