BMP-1, Iraqi, Desert Storm 1991 - Scale:1/35

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
Basic model Zvezda, 1/35. The model is currently planned as an OOB, the only modification is grinding some details from the back door.

I drew and printed decals. A classic Iraqi simple coloring scheme, gray desert sand (one of the 3 basic monochrome types of “sand” from that period), with basic tactical insignia (white number 9 Arabic stylized in yellow field and red field on gun). In the first picture, there is a variant of the desert sand tone that I gave up, because it is too yellow in relation to the reference fortographies, where the grayish variant of the color is on a specific vehicle.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start!!

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
Thnx!

After analyzing, reading, sampling from pictures on hex and RAL, etc., if you wanna be a Iraqi grey - then you need to be a german grey beige - RAL7050.

Led light (kitchen lamp), with 3 modes, from coolest to warm. There is example of classical model makers issue - finding real colour of vehicle from pictures, videos etc (it is very significant if vehicle is photographed in sunny morning or cloudy afternoon, etc), because of that, and for historical exactness, this method should, if possible to avoid. Example of problem:

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s even worse than that when it comes to digital photographs

Though I’m not sure there was one, single Iraqi sand colour. Though it’s been 20 years since I was there, as I remember it the Iraqi T-55 “Enigma” at Bovington was a pale yellowish sand colour, for example, and this was not repainted because it still had the graffiti from being captured on it.

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
It’s even worse than that when it comes to digital photographs

Though I’m not sure there was one, single Iraqi sand colour. Though it’s been 20 years since I was there, as I remember it the Iraqi T-55 “Enigma” at Bovington was a pale yellowish sand colour, for example, and this was not repainted because it still had the graffiti from being captured on it.

There was more Iraqi yellow colours, and gray colours, and mixes gray - yellow, yellow - gray. This colour here is from pictures of real vehicle.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thought so :smiling3: The Iraqi army always gave the impression of using anything and everything, so it’s no surprise they used a lot of different shades.

Oh, I suddenly remember that there is an article in an old issue of Military Modelling about detailing the BMP-1 and painting it as an Iraqi vehicle. I don’t think it will be much use to you anymore, though, as your kit is already built.

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
Originally modeled for BVP-matey will fit nice on BMP-1, to complete BVP and BMP, need one more print:

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
Is there a more boring assembly phase than: ....

Note: fuel inlet on back door are not in same yellow as unit marking, nor here, nor in pictures.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There is a lot more boring stage than Dragon BMP tracks — tracks made up of multiple parts per link :smiling3: