Boat/Ship Seafaring Movies

W

Wowbagger

What are your favourite boat/ship seafaring movies? Let's see if we can work up a definitive list.

Also use this thread to notify members of a forthcoming movie on TV so we can set our VCR's to tape it.

Here we go then:

The Sea Shall Not Have Them

Das Boot (Series really, but I taped the lot so it's like a movie!)

The African Queen

The Battle Of The River Plate

The Philadelphia Experiment

The Hunt for Red October

Battle of Midway

Titanic

The Cruel Sea

The Ship That Died of Shame

The Vital Spark

Whisky Galore

Raise the Titanic

We Dive at Dawn

Operation Petticoat

Mutiny on the Bounty

The Hunt For Red October

Ghost Ship

Boat Trip

Show Boat

The Love Boat

Glass Bottom Boat

Mr Roberts

Storm Warning

Your turn...

Last edited:
A

adzam

ah now , there is a movie starring kirk douglas and martin shen involving a (1970`s) aircraft carrier travelling thru time , and arriving just a couple days before pearl harbour.

i cannot remember the name, the story is totally crap, but the pics of teh ship, and flying is superb !!

if qanyone rememebrs teh film, please post below

thnx ( it`s hurting my head trying to remember)

W

Wowbagger

Oh God! Not another one! I know the movie. I thought it was good! Something like, "The San Fransisco Experiment", or summat, wasn't it?

EDIT: No, hang on, it was more like, "The Philadelphia Experiment", I think... or maybe that was the cheese advert...

If someone doesn't get this I won't be having much sleep tonight! :shucks:

EDIT: It is The Philadelphia Experiment so added to the list. :thumbs:

Whatever would we do without Google?

Last edited:
B

billyboats

undefined

What are your favourite boat/ship seafaring movies? Let's see if we can work up a definitive list. Also use this thread to notify members of a forthcoming movie on TV so we can set our VCR's to tape it.

Here we go then:

The Sea Shall Not Have Them

Das Boot (Series really, but I taped the lot so it's like a movie!)

The African Queen

The Battle Of The River Plate

The Philadelphia Experiment

Your turn...
Not sure if i'm doing this right, bit of a pc thicko! How about "THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER"

D

duncan

"The Cruel Sea", (Jack Hawkins et al ), The Ship That Died of Shame( ex MTB used for smuggling after demob) and before all fellow Scots get in "The Vital Spark " And "Whisky Galore" (which is about to be re-made) . "Raise the Titanic" expensive flop. Subs are boats so..."We Dive at Dawn"....and the pink sub , was it "Operation Petticoat" ? "Mutiny on the Bounty" and the funny other mutiny where Jack Lemmon throws Capt Quweek`s palm tree overboard. Forget the title. Jeez I watch a lot of films !

W

Wowbagger

All added. Duncan's on overload! :welldone:

Scottie, is The Perfect Storm a marine type film? Haven't seen it yet so dunno...

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Ghost Ship

Boat Trip

Show Boat

The Love Boat

Glass Bottom Boat

B

billyboats

"STORM WARNING" Where John Wayne played a german (!)skipper of a merchantman, on the run the length of the atlantic from the allies.

K

Kiwi

Are you sure the palm tree overboard wasn't "The Caine Mutiny"? The one about the time travelling aircraft carrier was "The Final Countdown" (1980) with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen

D

duncan

Nope Kiwi, I remember the Caine Mutiny, Humphery Bogart played a tough USN captain on a rather sloppy ship. He had the habit of rolling ball-bearings through his fingers, a trick my elder brother tried to emulate but never succeeded. My father reckoned a conjurer/magican`s hands were used for the close-ups. Cant remember anything else about the film except it ended with a court-martial. Black and white ..the palm tree film was in colour and very lightweight . " :fish2:...what Palm tree ?"

B

Bluewavestudios

Adzam...that film you mentioned with the aircraft carrier going back through time was "The Final Countdown" with Kirk Douglas and Michael Sheen...where they sail through the storm and end up back in 1942 just prior to Pearl Harbour...... I have it here on DVD. I mentioned it on the Aviation movies post because of the flying bits.

You can all sleep easy now :D

Regards............Mark

Last edited: