Boatmans Super Tomcat F14D Build

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Totally smashing this Chris,
It's brilliant to see you blitzing your way through the issues that keep popping up.. keep up the good work sir.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Totally smashing this Chris,
It's brilliant to see you blitzing your way through the issues that keep popping up.. keep up the good work sir.
HI Chris thanks for your super coments an yes im tryin my best on these probs that keep poppin up or as you say blitzing my way through the probs but im now starting the main fusalage an if its anything like the probs on the nose section then i better take a nerve tab lol as i think im in for a tough time on this problem of the parts fittin as barry said his kit wasnt to bad a fit or ive got his share of bad fits lol
ATB Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
If he does I hope he complies with current RADHAZ procedures!!!! :smiling3: :rolling:
WELL Guys i dont think im that crazy to go that far lol
Great work Chris, she's looking really good, well done mate.
AN thanks Garry its so far been a heck of a challenge an then some but compared to the probs i had on my tiger this is a walk in the park but as i said challenges an me go hand in hand lol

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Because I wanted to know: the F-14D’s APG-71 is an X-band radar, meaning it works on a frequency of 8 to 12 GHz, which is to say, a wavelength of 3.75 to 2.5 cm — so call it 1 mm if you want this in 1:32 scale. That means at the short end of microwaves, or possibly the very long end of infrared. However, based on my limited reading and even more limited understanding of the theory behind this stuff, it looks like all of the electronics you would need to generate this would be too big to fit inside a 1:32 scale Tomcat :sad: ;)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Because I wanted to know: the F-14D’s APG-71 is an X-band radar, meaning it works on a frequency of 8 to 12 GHz, which is to say, a wavelength of 3.75 to 2.5 cm — so call it 1 mm if you want this in 1:32 scale. That means at the short end of microwaves, or possibly the very long end of infrared. However, based on my limited reading and even more limited understanding of the theory behind this stuff, it looks like all of the electronics you would need to generate this would be too big to fit inside a 1:32 scale Tomcat :sad: ;)
Jakko haha do you really think id be crazy enough to atempt this lol as i know you are havin a bit of fun with me great stuff well done on this banter sir but what you have posted is very instrestin info well done for knowin that sir

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I was really just wondering if it could be done by someone silly dedicated enough to try :smiling3: As for knowing about this stuff, most of it was just looking up the kind of radar the F-14D uses, then reading a bit more about it on Wikipedia and continuing on to reading about X-band and microwaves there.

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I was really just wondering if it could be done by someone silly dedicated enough to try :smiling3: As for knowing about this stuff, most of it was just looking up the kind of radar the F-14D uses, then reading a bit more about it on Wikipedia and continuing on to reading about X-band and microwaves there.
Besides, putting a TWTA, Klystron or Magnetron in the nose would really upset the CoG! Definitely wouldn't be a tail-sitter :smiling5: