Boatmans Super Tomcat F14D Build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS well while im waitin for next yr to come as got to wait till Norwich pond has an open day to get my Tiger into the pond so i thought to save gettin bored id have a go at building this big 1.32 SCALE SUPER TOMCAT F14D an i havnt built a plane for several yrs since that crap K/H JAG kit so in realaitly im back to bein a complete novice an just hope i still have some idea of how to go about building it an it will be built as a new aircraft as they all were sometime in their lives so no wheathering as im rubbish at it an Barry said trummppter decals were not very good so ive bought some JOLLY ROGER DECALS from hannants so it wont imate the real plane but ive bought a few A/M bits eg brass GATTILIN GUN try an fit in the gun bay an im hopein to fit tiny hinges so the panels can be opened an closed an im also hopein to light up the aircrafts with 2mm leds for nav light an landing lights so please be gentle with me as im bound to make mistakes an get some things wrong but just some starter pics firstly as im still lookin at utube vids an lookin in my tomcat book so hopefully i will be able to build this
chrisb

AN First pic is of the kit itself IMG_8705.JPGIMG_8706.JPG

An A SHOT of whats inside will show spruses in a little while
an a pic below of my tomcat bookIMG_8707.JPG

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Not a big jet fan but knowing you and your determination Chris I'll tag along and watch this un.
I'll get the Magic Carpet Mk7 ready for flight and give the tassels a bit of a brush to keep up with the big cat!!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Looking on with interest
HI Peter yes please do as you can then aviod all the mistakes i'll make lol
chrisb

Not a big jet fan but knowing you and your determination Chris I'll tag along and watch this un.
I'll get the Magic Carpet Mk7 ready for flight and give the tassels a bit of a brush to keep up with the big cat!!!
OK Doug matey HOPE i dont dissapoint you all by not bein able to build this classic plane as this is one of my faves with the super hornet
an be carefull you dont bugger off your carpet in flight lol
Chrisb

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Chris,
I'm in Doug's camp here, don't really do jets,(well, apart from 4 of my personal favourites,which I have acquired, but not built yet ;) )
However, I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about this one mate,good luck with it :thumb2:.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
All aboard Chris, not a jet fan but looking forward to you building this beast

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I’ll grab a chair and watch how to build a F14 super Tomcat properly.
It’s going to be a big old bird at 1/32….hopefully you have plenty of shelf space!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris,
I'm in Doug's camp here, don't really do jets,(well, apart from 4 of my personal favourites,which I have acquired, but not built yet ;) )
However, I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about this one mate,good luck with it :thumb2:.
HI Smithy sad you are like Doug an dont like jets but im gonna doodle on an see how it goes but after lookin through all the parts this is gonna be a long build wow
chrisb

love a big jet, good luck with this one Chris
AN Cheers Mick god there is a lot to this kit as jen bought this in secret for me when i was buyin a superhornet at Hannants an i wanted both kits but too exspensive in 1/32 scale an she hid it in the car boot covered with her shoppin an i dint know it was there till there was a big parcel under the christmas tree an i could not wait to find out what it was so when jen out of the room i treid to have a peep under the xmas paper but the crafty little devil had double wrapped it so all i see was more paper Aarrrrccccchh but was very pleased on the big day

All aboard Chris, not a jet fan but looking forward to you building this beast
AN Hello Bob matety JUST pretend its a jap battleship then lol

I’ll grab a chair and watch how to build a F14 super Tomcat properly.
It’s going to be a big old bird at 1/32….hopefully you have plenty of shelf space!
AN HI SI an yes take a seat as jen will be round with the marmite sannies lol
an yes there is lots an lots of parts to this plane but i dont know about building it properly lol proberley make no end of mistakes
cheers SI AN now to show the lots an lots of spruces an some of them are all doubled up so more than you can see an sorry they are all still in the bags but dont want to lose any parts an now the sprures pics an this is goin to be a long build wow
chrisb

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
I'm in mate get Jen to put the kettle on and get the biscuits out.
WELCOME Scottie i hope i can do this kit justice as im a novice at plane building wont be bicuts but MARMITE sanies lol
chrisb

AN NOW the spruces pics
the main fuslarge
top an on bottom IMG_8708.JPGIMG_8709.JPG

an the cockpit secktion an there can be seen some nice detail of where the gatlin gun will be fitted in an hopefully hinged covers to open an close but will see on that IMG_8710.JPGIMG_8711.JPG

IMG_8712.JPGIMG_8713.JPG

IMG_8714.JPGIMG_8715.JPGIMG_8716.JPG

IMG_8718.JPGIMG_8719.JPGIMG_8717.JPG

IMG_8721.JPGIMG_8720.JPG

IMG_8722.JPGIMG_8725.JPGIMG_8726.JPG

IMG_8728.JPGIMG_8729.JPG

AN TOP PIC is jolly rogers decals that i want to fit on her

an below instruckions or destruckions lolIMG_8730.JPG

an the big canopy which i think will cause me probs as there is a big ridge right over the center of it so i may have to see some of you guys on how to use that rubbin down compound to try an get rid of it an a little P/E IMG_8732.JPG

WELL THAT should keep me busy till tiger sailin time past about a yr or so as im not goin to hurry on this as jen bought me this an if it goes pear shaped i think she will make me pear shaped also lol :face-with-head-bandage: :tired::rolling: but more resarch for a week or so an studyin in my tomcat book
chrisb

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm in too.

I'm yet to brave a big scale aircraft myself but enjoy watching others do it :smiling5:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Now that's a lot plastic
HI Peter yes it is an i bet it will be heavy too an think it will take a yr or too to build like that big enterprise i built an like you have got it took me a yr an a half as this an enterprise are very complex models an exspensive so im takin it easy on this an must admit wish i had an airbrush but never mind as i will use rattle cans paint to colour her
cheers
chrisb

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
It will certainly make an impressive display once you've got it completed Chris....

Nick

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I'm in too.

I'm yet to brave a big scale aircraft myself but enjoy watching others do it :smiling5:
AN HI Andy yes got to be brave as swmbo will be watchin what im doin on this a just lookin through this kit as its the proper 1st time an im shakein in my boots as to how i will build this as barry built one an he said the fit wasnt great so it looks like a battle comin when i do start but im goin to do a lot of thinkin ahead as i want to fit in eletrics in her BOY OH BOY what have i let my self in for but then i said that about tiger when i first see the plans but she got built just hope this will go the same
ATB cheers
chrisb

It will certainly make an impressive display once you've got it completed Chris....

Nick
AN HI Nick yes she should look great on the shelf above the tv but im goin to pack away my small 1/48th kits an both big kits should just scrape on the shelf if not then i'll have to exstend the shelf for them than i will then have my small 1/48th tomcat an other models back on display
CHREERS Nick
chrisb

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking forward to this Chris, especially the Marmite sarnies!
Pete

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Chris
Looking forward to seeing the progress on this big bird. The Jolly Rogers option looks cool too.
Good luck with the build
All the best
P