Brian's 1/200 HMS Nelson Build

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Wonderful detail and very careful work. This build really does you credit.
The detail in this is markedly better than my 1/700 HMS Rodney has. Goes to show how much more is possible in this scale. That no way detracts from the fine job you're doing.
Thanks Jim:smiling3:
Brian

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Quick question guys! looking at the wooden deck its a little too pristine for me but I have never weathered a deck before so any pointers?
Brian

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Bri ive never had a ship with a wooden deck so i cant help you but maybe Bob can as he has built ships with wooden decks
chrisb

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
My only suggestion for the deck is to pick out individual planks with very diluted paint in varying "woody" shades. You could do a bit of a test on the spare wood.
Interested to see how you get on as, although I like them, wooden decks can be rather uniform.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The P.E. stuff is way beyond me. Really neat work Brian.

I can't help with the deck question 'cos I must confess I prefer the kit plastic ones. Maybe because they might be easier to weather and my method wouldn't suit the deck you have on this excellent model.

Great build none the less and I'm enjoying following the progress.

Ron

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
As far as weathering the decks.

This enamel wash is specially designed to bring out the detail of the wooden covers typical of many warships. It can also be easily used for any other wooden subject. Just shake well before use and you can apply it directly to your model to create contrast and depth in the details. Remove excess with a clean brush moist in Enamel Thinner. This is an enamel product and can by dissolved using our White Spirit or Odourless Turpentine. The basic technique used to weather any type of model is the wash, a classic technique that is still one of the most used techniques in modelling today
88a0439285d6cd0a219c46f513fc9c95.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
FANTASTIC work an modeling Brian very well done an this thread is so enjoyable
for me keep the moddeling comin
chrisb

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Not much today guy's went to Ikea for my new display cabinet which is a wardrobe carcass on its side, ordered some 3mm polycarbonate for the front that will keep the dust out. Plenty big enough for the Yamato !!
20230125_135432.jpg20230125_135448.jpg20230125_135453.jpg

Oh yeah really not happy with my hull so started again and did a few bits and pieces :smiling3:
Brian

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
lovely work bri im enjoyin your build soon i will put on some pics of what ive been doin on my tiger as she is near finished
ATB
Chrisb

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
This is coming on a real treat Brian. As has been noted earlier your work is neat and precise. That wash Mark flagged up looks worth a try maybe.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Brian, keep in mind these decks were scrubbed within an inch of their lives. This, the sun, salt water and the weather in general, would combine and usually leave the wooden decks a very pale, almost a kind'a bleached beige colour.

Just my thoughts.....

Ace work by the way, and a very enjoyable watch! :thumb2: :thumb2:

Ron

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
these decks were scrubbed within an inch of their lives. This, the sun, salt water and the weather in general, would combine and usually leave the wooden decks a very pale, almost a kind'a bleached beige colour.
Yes Ron thought about that and I will dilute it down to a pale colour :smiling3: Also I will be testing on a spare piece of deck and see what you all think.
Brian

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice indeed.
As far as the decks go keep them fairly light over all. Edges and corners where harder to scrub can be a bit dirtier. High traffic areas almost new .
A good wash for us would be a good cup of tea. NO milk or sugar.
Gentle does it and build it up in stages as not to warp the wood due to to much wet.
Smart idea with the IKEA wardrobe might knick that one.