Britsh 25 PDR. Field Gun & Quad Gun Tractor

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Stevie,

You are straight up crazy my man. I love every second of it too!!! The only thing left is to make a few bugs for the windshield. Truly great stuff!!!

Prost auf Dich
Allen

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Its certainly giving me headaches Scottie:smiling5:
Great to see you popped into have another look Ian. It's a very busy site with lots going on
Brilliant Mick:smiling::smiling3::smiling5::smiling5::smiling5: It is total insanity!!:cool:
Enjoying this one a lot Wouter and nothing has fallen off yet:smiling2:
At the painting stage now Fernando. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out
I was in the moment Mr T so had no choice. The strips are on my ever extended list of things to buy. Good news is that there is a rumour going around that Santa has finally got round to getting me the RZTools rivet maker this year. So I will be in touch in the New Year about that:thumb2::thumb2:
Total madness Jim. Mr T has been an inspiration and you will see some more of his influences in this update.
Now there is an idea Allen. I will look forward to painting the veins on their wings:smiling5::smiling5: Get better soon mate.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
This is a real lesson on what can be achieved if you're mad enough. A truly great job. I look forward to the primer coat.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve.
I'm blown away with this level of extreme detail you are achieving.
Now to read that you are to receive a rivet making punch, the madness will only increase.
From my extensive album of nature I have included a fly with wings outstretched.
Hope this is of help.
extreme-magnification-fly-spread-wings-preparing-to-take-off-81833413.jpg
( Photo for discussion only ) .
John.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steve - the ends of those handles look a bit bobbly. Are you using serrated pliers rather than flat smooth nose?

flat nose

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Thanks for you continued support Jim. The primer and base coats are on now:thumb2:
Brilliant mate! You know I am going to have to make one now JR. You have been warned:smiling5:
Three reasons why they are not the best handles Simon. Firstly I dont have flat nose pliers (Added to the list though - by the way Slaters Assorted Microstrip has been brought and is in the post:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:), so I had to use tweezers and the wire was too hard so used solder wire - not so good. Lastly its another process learnt but still need to master:smiling5:

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Steve - no worries, the handles will look fine but you will notice a difference with flat nose smooth jaw pliers

Mine are essential for wire flattening, wire bending, pewter work and etch bending - I tend to use the pliers more than the proper etch bender

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve.
Thanks for that tip on the steering rod, that's the sort of thing I would have happen .
I notice the wires look like they were in a pair, how did you manage to keep them like that, or is there a plastic coating between them ?
John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
First coat of colour looks to have gone on nicely. Well done with the steering rod. The wire is probably better but just annoying that time was spent on clean up. You'd have thought the Mogglin Pixies would have broken it as you took it off the sprue rather than let you clean it up and then break it. They are contrary little buggers!!
Jim

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It looks too … well, painted to me. I’m not really sure how worn the real vehicle would be, but the main impression this model gives me is of someone having painted it to look very worn, rather than as a realistic amount of wear. It would probably be a good look for a model meant to represent one of these vehicles left outside for a decade or so, but not for one actually in use, IMHO.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Totally agree Jakko. There was far too much paint used rather than doing subtle blending. Part 2 is below and its starting to get better. It's trying to remember less is more and to use the oils to enhance the base coat rather than totally transform it. I am happier with this attempt but I still struggle to enhance the detail. I will keep on practising:thumb2:

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Looking at the photos it is clear the method has merit. I think it is really a case of creating a subtle effect. Very little paint and the blending brush being kept clean and just damp with solvent.
The doors look good and I'm sure that with your skills and patience this is s technique you will soon master. You are still at the "finding out" stage.
Jim

First Name
Wouter
Extra detailing frenzy keeps going on. Nice work Steve. As Jim states subtle effects here. Keep it coming mate!

Cheers

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Totally agree Jakko. There was far too much paint used rather than doing subtle blending. Part 2 is below and its starting to get better.
These certainly look far more believable than the back of the cab, if you ask me.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Paint job and oils really show all the details very good Steve.:thumb2:
The doors have come out nice and subtle and the more weathered inside of the cab is better for a less visible interior I think...
You're still experimenting with the finishes and judging from the doors the rest of the tractor will look great.:smiling:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve.
Superb work on the fly, esp the wings, I can see you took great care with the major blood vessels and it shows.
Now, as to this new fangled weathering system.
I agreed with Jakko on the first set of photos.
Bearing in mind that the vehicle was in the desert and the age it would have been the second photos of the doors look good. Think you have got the hang of it and now just to perfect it.
Your work always impresses anyway.
John.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
wow what a level of detail.....the roof...the doors...everything looks so real.... wow l'm really amazed how well is done... wonderful
Thank you Steve ... it's really a pleasure to see your work...