Brokk Grungsson, a.k.a balloon guy

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Taking a quick break from my diorama I'm having a crack at this fella, a fathers day pressie from my warhammer obsessed son

2023-06-18 14.43.22.jpg

Construction was as quick and easy as I've found with the previous citadel figures I've made. 40+ parts altogether but by Sunday afternoon it was in primer, broken down into a couple of sub assemblies.

2023-06-19 16.44.01.jpg

2023-06-19 16.44.26.jpg

Since there's quite a lot of gold shades on this I gave it a blast over with some mr color gold as a foundation

2023-06-19 17.31.04.jpg

I then blocked in some of the basic colours and gave it a black wash to define some of the details and tone down the glare of that gold!

2023-06-19 21.09.13.jpg

Just basic stuff so far but we've got to start somewhere.

I can already see that there's going to be a lot of back & forth with the paint on this. Some parts are so hard to reach that I'm bound to go astray here & there so I'll have to try and keep track of what colours I use where.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow Andy straight in and on the paint, very impressive. Will follow, but have no idea what I'm looking at:smiling2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Now that's something different but interesting nevertheless. Off to a great start.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for popping in Neil & Jim.

I'm sorry for the late reply but I had a nightmare with the violet red colour and thought I might have to strip it and start again. I've since fudged it a little and have further work planned so think it'll suffice.

I've started some of the more detailed bits too. There's still a fair way to go but the shapes are starting to make more sense now it isn't quite so blingy.

2023-06-21 18.31.19.jpg

2023-06-21 18.31.33.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you Richard.

I've pretty much finished with this now. Plopping him on a simple base was a bit of challenge given the tiny contact point on the clear stand but I think he's stuck firm at last.

Out of my comfort zone so not outstanding, but an enjoyable distraction and definitely better than "table top" quality I think.

2023-06-22 20.23.44.jpg

2023-06-22 20.24.08.jpg

2023-06-22 20.25.10.jpg

2023-06-22 20.30.27.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Bonkers..... But very good.... Still no idea what it/he is meant to be.....

But very good indeed!

Well done.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good to me. Lovely work Andy, and as you say, way better than “tabletop standard”.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry Andy, I missed this this and just did a ketchup. A very interesting little critter(?) you've done Sir!!! I know nada about these things, but the painting you have accomplished is amazing on something so small. I take it, there is a life form inside the armor below the cannon balloon holder thingy overhead. He does remind me of the little character from the 'Lord of the Rings' films. I thought maybe you would have painted his beard red as he was always armed to the teeth too...Really great work my friend!!!...

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Brilliant painting Andy.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
nice work.
these warhammer figures going back to the early 80’s were lifted wholesale from Lord of the Rings and D&D, since then they have gradually evolved and become whackier and more distinct to give them a protectable IP. then they also started Warhammer 40K and transplanted the whole lot to space.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you all very much for your great comments, although it seems I've been remiss and should have included a bit of detail about the chap.

As mentioned it is a Citadel / Warhammer gaming figure, from their Age of Sigmar range. Dolled up in power armour, suspended from a balloon shaped flying thing.

It was a great little break from my diorama build and I'm sure I could have done even better if I'd given him more time but I'm happy enough.

If you really want to know more about him and have some time to kill, here's the full lore from the Games Workshop page:

Brokk Grungsson exemplifies the self-made Kharadron Overlord privateer. He is rapacious in the hunt for aether-gold, and daring in his explorations of the skybound wonders of Chamon. Brokk Grungsson is the only Admiral that has successfully led a fleet around the Spire, the fabled Horn of Chamon. Some Kharadron would be satisfied having achieved such honours, but Brokk Grungsson strives on, hungry for ever-more success and recognition – his natural aeronautical abilities and aggressive nature mean these successes are rarely far from his grasp.

This multi-part plastic kit contains the components necessary to assemble Brokk Grungsson, Lord-Magnate of Barak-Nar. Borne aloft in an elaborate, custom-made dirigible suit, he’s armed with a sizable cannon known as Grungsson’s Boast, a multi-barrelled gun called the Magnate’s Charter and an aethermatic saw for close combat. He also features aetherblasters mounted in his impressive moustache; such is the opulence his status brings!

The suit itself is covered in the kind of pipes, valves, cogs and latticework you’d expect for a duardin able to pay for the finest things in war, even including a custom filtration system and powered assistance for his limbs. Brokk Grungsson is a powerful duardin, and before his enemies die, he wants them to know it...

Means absolutely nothing to me :smiling5: