Brush or Airbrush ?

Z

zak illingworth

does anyone have a list of pros and cons between brush and airbrush ?

I have never used an airbrush ( are they difficult to use ?) it has always been brushes for me due to parents supplying my gear many moons ago as a child.

Now i have my own funding, i am wanting to venture into airbrushing. Does anyone know of a good starter kit that doesnt cost the earth so i can cut my teeth so to speak ?

Cheers

Zak

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Please follow signs to air raid shelters or follow directions from a warden and make sure you have your tin hats on!

Sorry Zak, I couldn't resist.......You'll probably see why shortly. ;)

Z

zak illingworth

I take it i have just opened a "big ole can of worms"

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Brush takes a long time to learn air brush doesn't but it is quicker and easier to learn to turn out very good looking models with an AB

Cleaning a brush takes no time at all cleaning an airbrush takes a lot longer

Z

zak illingworth

Sorry for bringing this up again boys. Never read that far back, its a minefield out there think i will plod along with a brush for now, then try an airbrush at some point lol.

Whats a good brush manufacturer ? I use humbrol coloro brushes just now

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
It's best to go for a good brush at first until you get used to brush painting and a pretty good one is the italeri sable hair ones they are reasonably priced as well

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
No harm done, and it's good to ask questions. There is a search tool at the top right of your forum screen, and that should be the first port of call if you think it's a topic that may have already been covered.

To answer your question Zak: In the "Paint Booth" topic section (where you have asked your question), there are three other sections, including brushes and airbrushes. Take some time to have a read of the airbrush section, throughout the posts there are many 'first airbrush' queries and advice, as well as some techniques.

If you're still stuck after that then I'm sure someone can help you out :smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
it is always good to ask questions...........and theres no such thing as a stupid one

just that recently some topics have become a little bit 'sensitive' lol

as for an answer..........all depends on the job required

i like using an airbrush when i can cos its quick and easy and gives better coverage...............although what im doing now i airbrushed with the intention of touching up with a hairy stick, an i bet ive nearly repainted it with a hairy brush

buy decent quality ones......cheap ones will just leave you frustrated with poor finish and loose bristles.....and when you get good ones look after them and they will last for a very time.......mind you i recently bought a pack of 7 for about a fiver in The Range and they are proving to be pretty good

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Good god just followed your go to page 12 well that went a little Pete tong....

As wise people sat horses for corses..buy think you definitely need one in this hobby

N

Netboy

Can also depend on the paint you intend using. Some paints, Alclad 2 is a prime example, just do not take to hand brushing.

I personally use both methods depending on what I am doing. Your own experience will tell you what suits you.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's not really a minefield!

Most things can be achieved with a brush, some can't. This is usually because some things were sprayed on the original in a way that is not difficult but impossible to replicate on a model without spraying. Some people, really good brush painters, can make a pretty decent job of impersonating the sprayed pattern but it is never quite 100%

An airbrush is no more difficult to use than a brush. Both need considerable practice to perfect the techniques required.

The biggest 'con' against an airbrush is the initial investment which is considerably more than in a set of brushes. However a decent airbrush/compressor set up should last for many years, more than a set of brushes however well you look after them :smiling3:

Almost all modellers use both, some just stick to brushes. Everyone uses brushes for some things. I do all my detail painting with a good old fashioned hairy stick or three.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Robert
Hi Zak

I've been modelling for years and have always used the hairy stick but recently got back into using A/B. The airbrush can be tricky to get started with but once you get it going and the paint thickness right ( I use the thickness of milk if that's helpful ) but then there's pin washes/ washes and a whole load of others that can be used with a/b but most of us will at some stage use A/b for as Steve says some paint looks better to spray than brush.

Whatever you do don't go spending heaps on expensive A/b as a lot of cheaper can do the same until you get more experienced( I'm still forever learning )

Whatever you feel happy with at the end of the day.

I like to ask questions from time to time on A/b and painting with brushes. As it helps when there so many out there with more experience than I ( most are on here !!!!! )

Never be worried to ask

John in Scale Model Shop can put you in the right direction if you want cheap A/B and cheap compressors but remember e bay and Amazon etc can do a lot of imitations. It's up to you

Regards

Robert