Build Lewis Hamilton's McLaren F1 Car adverts...

B

Boldman

Has anyone seen the new adverts for the "build your own Lewis Hamilton McLaren F1 car in weekly parts" adverts? If you look closely you see in the top right of the advert at one point: "Normally £7.99 in 86 weekly parts" and I thought 86x£8=£688 and 86 weeks is over 18 months!!!

What a total rip off these things are because I bet it ceases publication after a few weeks and never gets anywhere near 86 weeks. Does anyone know of anyone who has collected all the parts for these things, RMS Titanic, HMS VIctory, James Bond's DB5 etc etc? Do they really think people are that dumb?

A

andygh

Yes, they certainly issue all the parts, usually by subscription after a few weeks though

M

munkster

These "partwork" publications always used to pop up after Xmas didn't they? Usually thanks to the cheap TV advertising space in the new year after the big guns had blown their seasonal budgets I gather. You don't see as many of them now probably due to the sheer number of channels that are doubtless "cheap" to advertise on all year round!

That said, I do still have the full bound collection of "The Joy of Knowledge" in my mum's loft - that one was certainly worth it - used to PORE over that as a kid...

B

ben89

i got the first part today, looking 4ward to building it, yea the price is steep but its interesting. usualy the new agents stock the first few issues then u have to subscribe to get the rest

though u get issue 2 and 3 for £4.99 if u ring up :smiling3:

M

m1ks

This is par for the course.

If you search on here you'll find a stack of posts relating to the partwork Tiger tank.

Typical is an approx final price of £700 and over the course of 2 to 3 years.

If you look at in one manner, it's the cost of a cheap airfix 72nd kit each week.

It all comes down to if you are prepared to pay the total wait the time to get all the bits and want the final mode enough.

The reason the shops stock a few then stop is that the first few are on sale or return, after about 6 mags they become no return so the shops, unless they have one on reserve for a specific customer don't stock them as it's dead money if no-ones buying, most people tend to just subscribe, the benefit of this for subscribers is that you normally get 4 issues posted monthly rather than one per week giving you more to bit into each time.