Burnishing railings?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning

Just cleaned the railings with IPA then usibg burnishing fluid, same as i use for metal tracks

However they have been soaking for 10 mins, nothing, was excepting them to go a dark colour??

Can someone help??

Bob

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Are the railings brass? - I think that the burnishing fluid is usually for white metal parts so the chemical reaction would be different with brass

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi, it is working but taking very long compared to tracks

Is there other burnishing fluids or methods?? All new to me!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just ordered some dedicated PE burnishing fluid, all new to me!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
I didn't know it was available for brass. Let us know how you get on with it please.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Blackening agent is available for most metals. They are usually based on Selinium dioxide and/or copper oxide in an acidic solution. I used to use Birchwood Casey gun blue for my railway stuff, mostly because it was cheaper than the dedicated railway modelling gunk from Carr’s. I found it worked with all metals.
If it’s a bit slow to darken Bob, warm it up. It will speed up the reaction. Don’t over heat it though, being acidic you don’t want it to boil.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Do you mean to etch the surface or to turn the PE brown.
Hi Ian, hoping that if it chips or gets scratched, the shiny brass wil not stand out. New idea to me

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Blackening agent is available for most metals. They are usually based on Selinium dioxide and/or copper oxide in an acidic solution. I used to use Birchwood Casey gun blue for my railway stuff, mostly because it was cheaper than the dedicated railway modelling gunk from Carr’s. I found it worked with all metals.
If it’s a bit slow to darken Bob, warm it up. It will speed up the reaction. Don’t over heat it though, being acidic you don’t want it to boil.
Left for ages but patchy. Will leave and use the proper stuff

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Might still be greasy on the surface Bob. Give it another dunk in IPA then a dunk in white vinegar before trying the metal black :thumb2: