Buying more and more

First Name
James
So i was sat in my chair on sunday had my other favourite past time on formula 1 and i thought to my self i fancy a go at building a f1 car so on the internet i went found one ferrari f2001 and then it hit me i have to many models stash getting bigger and bigger im still goner buy it but how do you guys justify buying more

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
how do you guys justify buying more

Simples! I gave up trying to justify my stash years ago! I suppose I'm more of a collector than a builder (even though I have an idea of building every kit I buy - fat chance given the size of my stash now!) but so what - it's my hobby and I'll pursue it how I like.

It's probably more expensive than collecting beer mats, but that's what I work for - to pay my bills and satisfy my desires (I'm a simple man with simple desires OK?). At least I'm not spending my money on fast cars and loose women!

Anyway, my heirs will get most of the money back and I get the pleasure of dreaming what mine will look like if ever I build it!:D

It'd be interesting to get some more views on this.

First Name
Robert
I have to whole heartedly agree with you Dave
The ideas flow and the stash gets bigger and yes we all will be building till we are old and grey ( errrr that's me already !!)
I work hard I pay me bills I own what I have and modeling to me is my hobby. My wife supports what I do ( she loves the peace and quiet and the chance to gru the remote )
Yes she winged from time to time that I have more kits and never enough time to complete them............. But this is it the big but
1 day I'll retire and then I'll relax and build all day long.
No golf for me no fast cars ( that you can't drive anyway )
And I don't drink neither anymore so bring on the Models and let them be built..........
One day :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

First Name
James
Haha im only young lol it wories me that at 21 i have about 40 already and consider adding more goner make it 41 as i want the f2001 when john can get it for me but i supose ive gone through last few months and done everything i think is rubbish such as starter sets so got it down to that but the other half moaning abit more because were buyimg are first house but my argument is we can still afford it !!!

First Name
Alex
Get a bigger house, buy a very long shed or maybe rent a garage. The other option of course is to bite the bullet and have a clear out and get rid of some kits.

First Name
colin
I'm with dave (gern) I gave up trying to justify the size of my stash years ago. I even downsized it by selling off all of the aircraft kits,
I still spent the money on armour kits I have just accepted that I'm scale model addict.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
im not sure how to answer this one.......

i got back in to this hobby in 2007,....since 2009 ive kept records of how many ive bought/built/sold each year

worst year was 2009 when i bought 72 kits (and funny enough im currently making one of them!).....ive slowed down a lot, last few years have been 20 to 25 kits,......so far this year it has been 1! (but that should change next weekend when i go to a show)

i used to buy a lot of stuff simply cos i could not that i actually 'needed' it

ive slowed down cos my modelling interests have become more focused over the years......now i dont see the point of buying stuff i have no idea when i shall build it,.....the loft is full of those already

ive managed to get the stash down to just under 120 kits (funny how i still 'cant find any thing to build lol ) and am comfortable with that figure....was once over 250

the Memsahib always moans if i DONT buy stuff every now and then.....she says i dont smoke, virtually dont drink, dont gamble or go to the football, etc, why shouldnt i spend money on something i enjoy?....think she's a keeper :D

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
(funny how i still 'cant find any thing to build lol )

That's why we have a stash! Just like our better 'alves can have a wardrobe full of stuff and still be totally unable to find anything to wear - it's the same syndrome.

the Memsahib always moans if i DONT buy stuff every now and then.....she says i dont smoke, virtually dont drink, dont gamble or go to the football, etc, why shouldnt i spend money on something i enjoy?....think she's a keeper :D

Absolutely!!

Edit: Got my quotes and replies a bit mixed up there, but you know what I mean.

First Name
john
I myself have rather a large stash but never bothered to count the exact amount.I just can't resist a deal or a bargain so if it's cheaper than normal and I like it I have to buy it. If it makes you happy why not. My main excuse is I'll build them when I retire. Working full time at the moment so not a lot of spare time to be building but I'll grab an hour here or there. We will be relocating to the Lake District in the next few years and I have this vision off myself sitting in my newly erected workshop in the middle of summer with a few cold beers birds singing and me bashing away at the plastic glue and paints. And if I see something in the meantime cheap I'll be getting it.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I keep my stash around the 40 to 50 but I still justify buying as most will be on my wish list,which are a few but are hard to find and one or two will be expensive.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I keep my stash around the 40 to 50 but I still justify buying as most will be on my wish list,which are a few but are hard to find and one or two will be expensive.

At the rate you build Peter, you must be buying 5 or 6 kits a week to keep your stash level that high!:eek:

T

Trekkie_John

This is my stash.

Now you see it.....
20170530_211113_zps4mapuamg.jpg

Now you dont..... Keeps the wife happy.
20170530_211134_zps7mlbsdcc.jpg

I wouldn't panic, it's just you like what you see and get it for a rainy day. And by the looks of it, everyone is up to the neck in a flood hehehe.

Have fun, John

D

dougie

My loft has a big pile of cars. Must be about 40 ish now.

I bought only kits that i really like or are rare. If they reissue ive lost money but I'm not fussed as id rather not miss out on kits that may never be reissued. I dont buy anything that i think is just an ok subject to try and stop it being out of control and because i want to build all that I have so far. For me its a bonus that im not a fan of many more modern cars, just rally or race cars so that cuts available purchases down.

I'm basically at the stage where im only buying the odd new release although this year looks like cars are back on a surge and I have 3 on order already but im trying not to buy many more because of the rate I build with all my time restrictions. There are a few sci fi kits in there too but hardly any new releases bar star wars to bother about.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I don't feel the need to justify my 'stash'. When the time comes to give up they'll be handed on or sold if they're not built. In the meantime it's my hobby. The missus has a wardrobe full of shoes and scarves. I have a model stash.