Caen area 11th August 1944

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Scratch built stone wall! Freaking awesome pal! How did you make that?

Top stuff mate, really impressed.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Scratch built stone wall! Freaking awesome pal! How did you make that?Top stuff mate, really impressed.

Cheers Si

It's a piece of flat balsa with a strip of balsa cut into irregular shaped blocks glued to it and then covers in filler and wiped with a damp cloth to texture the stones then paint with earth colours and put little pieces of lichen in between the stones for moss , it is a long job because you have to paint the mortar in by hand , I did try a wash but it wasn't strong enough to show between the stones

Glad you like it

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Cheers SiIt's a piece of flat balsa with a strip of balsa cut into irregular shaped blocks glued to it and then covers in filler and wiped with a damp cloth to texture the stones then paint with earth colours and put little pieces of lichen in between the stones for moss , it is a long job because you have to paint the mortar in by hand , I did try a wash but it wasn't strong enough to show between the stones

Glad you like it
Like it, its superb mate and very effective.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers mate I appreciate it

I wasn't sure I could pull it off at first but I don't think I've done too bad a job :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Cheers mate I appreciate itI wasn't sure I could pull it off at first but I don't think I've done too bad a job :smiling3:
I actually thought at first it was bought, top job mate.

C

CDW

Don't know if this will make things easier for you Alan.

If you paint the stones first, then make up a runny poly - filler (coloured to simulate cement) you can apply it with a printer refill syringe and needle, it'll run nicely into all the joints, if any spills over then just wipe it with a cloth and clean up any excess powder on the stone when dry with a stiff toothbrush.

This is how I made the stone walls and cottages for a few railways belonging to friends.

Some people underestimate the power of the balsa.... . It's nice to see someone else using it so much... . The walls great mate. :smiling: :smiling:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I actually thought at first it was bought, top job mate.Si:smiling3:
All this scratch building I'm doing are test pieces for my large crimbo scene next year , I'm putting our local church in it so I needed to see if I can do the stone covering for it :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
All this scratch building I'm doing are test pieces for my large crimbo scene next year , I'm putting our local church in it so I needed to see if I can do the stone covering for it :smiling3:
Well it has worked very well so cannot see any issues when you do the church.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Don't know if this will make things easier for you Alan.If you paint the stones first, then make up a runny poly - filler (coloured to simulate cement) you can apply it with a printer refill syringe and needle, it'll run nicely into all the joints, if any spills over then just wipe it with a cloth and clean up any excess powder on the stone when dry with a stiff toothbrush.

This is how I made the stone walls and cottages for a few railways belonging to friends.

Some people underestimate the power of the balsa.... . It's nice to see someone else using it so much... . The walls great mate. :smiling3: :smiling3:
Cheers Colin and thanks for the tips , balsa is a great thing to use it's easy to cut and shape with little effort :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Well it has worked very well so cannot see any issues when you do the church.Si:smiling3:
The only problem I see with the church is the stain glass windows , I'm thinking of using sweet wrappers :smiling3:

C

CDW

I'm doing Elaine parents church and gardens in 1/72 for the "build a building" sig next year.

Its a modern one though so loads of brick, I'll give it to the church at the end and they can raffle it or something to get funds for the youth group.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I think I might do that with mine actually that's a great idea

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I think I might do that with mine actually that's a great idea
Yeah, but clean off all the toffee and chocy stains from around the windows first... :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I'm doing Elaine parents church and gardens in 1/72 for the "build a building" sig next year.Its a modern one though so loads of brick, I'll give it to the church at the end and they can raffle it or something to get funds for the youth group.
What a super idea Colin, your a nice bloke no matter what Alan says about you...ahem...

PS...I am kidding of course.