Can anyone name this?

P

Paul1978

Hi there. This might be simple for most people but my Russian friends wanted to know if Brits knew the name of this Russian construction :smiling3:

Paul

View attachment 21223

moscow.jpg

T

tonyb6000

Looks like St Basils, red square. Might be wrong tho. Has it had a fresh coat of paint? Looks like it needs some weathering!

D

dubster72

I'd agree with the previous answers, St Basils on Red Square (if it's still called that?) although without wanting to sound elitist (!) I'd say you're more likely to find knowledgeable people on here than in 'the street' Paul!

Patrick

D

dubster72

Although have we been taken in & been too simplistic? Its' real name is the Cathedral of the Intercession!

P

Paul1978

Nice one lads. I put it here because so many refer to it as the Kremlin. Some journalist for the BBC even referred to it as the Kremlin which shocked me but yes St.Basils. It's amazing when you're standing right in front of it. Funny thing is, Red Square is a lot smaller than all those old doumentaries make it out to be :smiling3:

P

Paul1978

... and you're not sounding elitist Patrick when you state something that is obviously true :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's a nice piccy of St Basil's taken by SWMBO a couple of years ago along with a typically crap one, taken by yours truly, of Lenin's mausoleum. Isn't the Kremlin behind that wall? I know we visited it and were surprised how big an area it covers.

Things do look bigger on TV. I'm always stunned by the way the Albert Hall (with which I'm quite familiar) looks on screen.

Steve

View attachment 21243

View attachment 21244

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

P

Paul1978

Yes Steve, that's the Kremlin behind the wall and i agree; it's pretty big. The churches and offices inside are rather beautiful as well as the broken bell (can't remember it's name). Funnily enough, i've been here for 4 years almost and i haven't visited Lenin's tomb. I have difficulties pulling myself away from the nice bars in central Moscow as well as working 2 mins walk away from Red Square :smiling3: If you ever get the chance, visit St.Petersburg... such an amazing city - too cold in winter though :smiling3: Generally Moscow is a good city to live in and there's good money for my profession unlike back home (teacher) but we're all facing a visa crisis at the moment; Russia wants all ex-pats out by making it almost impossible to meet the criteria for a work visa and work permit.

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This bell? Don't know what it's called either. SWMBO and I did visit St Petersburg,we did the overnight train from Moscow which was an adventure particularly as neither of us are too clever with cyrillic script. We knew it was train 42 so headed for something with that number on!

View attachment 21246

IMG_0258.jpg

P

Paul1978

Oh it's great you were in St.Petes then :smiling3: You were brave to endure the overnight train. I went with friends and arrived in St.Petes already exhausted and slightly drunk. Mind you that was 8 hours. Just after new Year i visited my girlfriend's parents in Kirov (18 hours by train) and that was hell. And that looks like a few mm on a map of Russia.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You sure its not Brighton pavilion :lame:

N

noble

IT looks like the wicked witches house from hansel and gretel.

scott

P

Paul1978

I like it Scott. The Catherdal is in fact IN the Wicked Witches House i.e. Russia!!!! Goddddddddddddd Russiaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need normality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for that little rant! :smiling3: