Can I brush paint vallejo model air paints?

First Name
Dave
Hi peeps, I've just moved over to modelling armour and to using vallejo model air acrylics, I had intended to airbrush these as I'm so used to airbrushing paints normally on to model car bodies, but now my airbrush has gone belly up, I'm wondering if I can use my vallejo paints with a hairy stick without any detrimental effect to the finish of the paint, i.e no brush marks.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm with Peter. I brush paint both Model Air and Model Colour. The only difference I find is 'Air takes a few more coats than 'Colour', but the end results are the same....so take's yer choice!

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Vallejo model air brushes superbly....and I never get any brushmarks.
That's good to know, so you would recommend using them on armour?............I was wondering about how successful applying camouflage would be, but then I realised that most camo is applied by brush anyway, more so in ww2. My wife made a remark to me as well........"what did you do before you had an airbrush years ago".........my reply, I used a hairy stick.........she laughed as she misconstrued what I meant by a hairy stick, I explained and she said well use one of them. I'm trying to not spend too much on this hobby as it is just a hobby, so if I can avoid using an airbrush then I will, they are so bloody frustrating at times!

P.S. .........what part of Hampshire are you located, I miss the area, I used to live in Winchester, worked in Eastleigh and Basingstoke in my time. Used to do lots of deliveries around Fleet, Farnborough, Farnham, Cove, Basing, Hartley Witney. .....All over really!

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
That's good to know, so you would recommend using them on armour?............I was wondering about how successful applying camouflage would be, but then I realised that most camo is applied by brush anyway, more so in ww2. My wife made a remark to me as well........"what did you do before you had an airbrush years ago".........my reply, I used a hairy stick.........she laughed as she misconstrued what I meant by a hairy stick, I explained and she said well use one of them. I'm trying to not spend too much on this hobby as it is just a hobby, so if I can avoid using an airbrush then I will, they are so bloody frustrating at times!
P.S. .........what part of Hampshire are you located, I miss the area, I used to live in Winchester, worked in Eastleigh and Basingstoke in my time. Used to do lots of deliveries around Fleet, Farnborough, Farnham, Cove, Basing, Hartley Witney. .....All over really!
I'm in Farnborough now Dave..... Work in Bordon

And if you are looking to brush paint camo and want a soft edge...... try stippling the edges with Maskol applied with a bit of sponge....then just rub it off when the paint is dry........ There are a couple of tutorial videos on you tube.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
I'm with Peter. I brush paint both Model Air and Model Colour. The only difference I find is 'Air takes a few more coats than 'Colour', but the end results are the same....Excellent.
..... and Miaggi San Ron gets bloody good results with his brushes too.

D

Dave1973

\ said:
..... and Miaggi San Ron gets bloody good results with his brushes too.
Sensai Ron bets bloody good results with anything he touches! Gifted in the dictionary says 'see Ron'

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I'm in Farnborough now Dave..... Work in Bordon
And if you are looking to brush paint camo and want a soft edge...... try stippling the edges with Maskol applied with a bit of sponge....then just rub it off when the paint is dry........ There are a couple of tutorial videos on you tube.
Seems like you're going to become my brush painting guru along with Ron!:eek: :smiling3: :cool:.........I like the idea of going back to old skool ways!.......We all need a rewind sometimes. :smiling3:

D

Dave1973

Bah! Hairy stick painting.... Im probably more useless at that that i am at modelling, and painting.....actually im

Just Useless!

To be fair, i suck at painting by brush anything bigger than the figures, so i stick to the old blowjob gun. Plus its a challenge for me to learn the art of airbrush. But if someones able to brush paint well, im in awe!

First Name
Dave
I'm going to have a bash at this brush painting malarkey, I've had to remove my sad butt out to the garage to do my modelling primarily because of the smell of enamels and white spirit, I got one of those humbrol workstation things (only good thing humbrol does these days:eek::confused: ;) ) so that I can sit in the warm and watch 'quality?' telly. So if I can avoid going out to the garage in the bloody cold and stay in the snug warm then I will, it's a no brainer. Also, with money saved on not buying a replacement airbrush, I can get a few more vallejo paints and some more hairy stick paint applicators! :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Bah! Hairy stick painting.... Im probably more useless at that that i am at modelling, and painting.....actually im
Just Useless!

To be fair, i suck at painting by brush anything bigger than the figures, so i stick to the old blowjob gun. Plus its a challenge for me to learn the art of airbrush. But if someones able to brush paint well, im in awe!
Far from bloody useless mate..........I'm in awe of you modelling skills of late, you've learnt quickly and progressing really well. :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Just Useless!

To be fair, i suck at painting by brush anything bigger than the figures, so i stick to the old blowjob gun. Plus its a challenge for me to learn the art of airbrush. But if someones able to brush paint well, im in awe![/quote
Brush painting just takes a bit of patience and a bit of work. This was brush painted. Not perfect but not bad. A lot of cats ans a lot of flatting down.......

downloadfile-1.jpeg

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Brush painting just takes a bit of patience and a bit of work. This was brush painted. Not perfect but not bad. A lot of cats ans a lot of flatting down.......
View attachment 139014
Crikey, that looks stunning. I think the last time I brush painted I was a lot younger and with less choices of paints......humbrol and airfix, so the results were not so good.

I'm being converted slowly, I used to be an enamel loving, airbrushing, car modeller. ........look at me now......... armour modelling with acrylics using a hairy stick.........One end of the rainbow to the other!

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Crikey, that looks stunning. I think the last time I brush painted I was a lot younger and with less choices of paints......humbrol and airfix, so the results were not so good.
I'm being converted slowly, I used to be an enamel loving, airbrushing, car modeller. ........look at me now......... armour modelling with acrylics using a hairy stick.........One end of the rainbow to the other!
I used Tamiya acrylic on that... I think it was 5 coats.. then three brushed clear lacquer.

D

Dave1973

Wow!

Thats impressive finish for brush bud!

And cheque in the post dave! Fees for ego boosting services! Lol

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I use it all the time for detail stuff and get good results. Considering I could leave brush marks in water, that says a lot about how well Model Air goes down! Like Ron says, you may need more coats though.