Captain Johhny Walker and HMS Starling

L

Laurie

U-boat exterminator. He saved many merchant seaman's lives and soldier's lives.

An extraordinary man in many ways. Very imaginative a man who like Montgomery studied his art.

Just read "The Fighting Captain" by Alan Burn. a very descriptive story of Captain Walker and the U-boat war. Alan Burn was one of Walker's officers so this book is from the horse's mouth.

Walker developed a way, with asdic and other aids which were very basic, to beat the u-boat menace.

His support groups with aircraft assistance and his creeping attacks were just very imaginative and devious.

Burns also gives great detail of the way the seamen lived in the cold and leaky sloops and corvettes.

Sad that Johnny Walker worked himself to death before the job was completed. But after his death he had so imbued his methods in the support groups that his work and methods continued unabated.

A great read as Burns has made this into a great readable story. This includes the chase of most of the U-Boats and their sinking made in each case not putting the book down.

Laure

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
My father always said that Jack Hawkins' character in 'The Cruel Sea' was based on Walker, but I've never seen any other evidence for this. In any case Walker was a remarkable man and I'm glad he was on our side.

Steve

L

Laurie

Yes you are both right Steve and Steve.

I have read many times "Walker RN" by Terence Robinson first published in 1956. It is a pity the Alan Burn has taken so long. But very very welcome. Always nice to read other accounts.

As you remarked Steve better in our camp than that of Donitz.

Pity Steve they did not follow up your father's thoughts as this Walker story would make a really good film. RN film in my opinion are really great stories mainly as they rest around the Captains of a ship. Yangste Incident, HMS Ametheyst , is a great film.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well Laurie, my dad was a naval man, but he flew aeroplanes and then helicopters for the Fleet Air Arm. I never knew where the idea that the Ericson character as portrayed by Hawkins was based on Walker came from, but I'd guess that it was wardroom gossip. It is well known that Donald Sinden's character, Lockhart, was based on Monsarrat himself.

Cheers

Steve