Centurion MkIII - Tamiya 1/25

S

Scuff

\ said:
Great build so far Graham. When you say welded do you mean CA or Poly cement? Also I presume your using Flory Models clay wash?
Thanks Vaughan.

I use mostly Tamiya extra thin run into the joints. Gator Glue/Crystal clear is used as needed and often for temporary holding of parts for airbrushing.

I use a selection of Flory Models washes, blended as needed for lighter or darker effects depending on the area being washed.

Last edited:
T

tecdes

\ said:
Thanks LaurieWith a lot of my commercial work, I will use a large overhead softbox tilted to give a graduated background as you have suggested.

I have to admit, for a lot of my model build shots I'm a little lazy. I use a grad black/white vinyl roll. I use 2 radio triggered flash guns which are pointed at the ceiling for a good soft bounced light. I use a Canon G12 compact camera as the small sensor gives a large depth of field, and the quality is fine for the small web pics. The images are colour corrected and edited with Adobe Lightroom 5.2
I am jealous Graham. Used 3 soft boxes with my video work & one for model work. Gave up video work this year & gave away the boxes to a young chap just starting out so just flash work in general. On what I consider important just trying ambient light tri pod & long exposure.

Laurie

S

Scuff

A quick update for you all.

The interior of the turret is now complete. The main issue was poorly fitting turret halves which necessitated a bit of filling with Vallejo white filler and some sanding.:rolleyes:

A couple of points of interest - The radio pack face was sprayed with buffable Dark Iron and when dry, I rubbed my finger over it to shine the protrusions. The white dials and small needles were painted and and then a drop of Krystal Clear added, which when dry gave me a nice glass face effect. :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
This is looking brilliant , you've done a great job of that interior

I'm going to keep an eye out for this :smiling3:

T

tecdes

Nice work Graham. Like the radio bits. Just about to attempt the dash on the helicopter I am building so with your permission (or noto_O) I am going to copy.

Very pro. job.

Laurie

S

Scuff

I have now completed the turret.

It was airbrushed with a base coat of Vallejo grey primer. A graded coat of dark brown was added to the shadow areas underneath with a gradual fade to the grey undercoat at the top highlight areas.

A preshade of matt black was then applied around all of the edges and join lines. Heavily thinned dark yellow was then sprayed in 4 applications to build up the effect that I wanted. Once dried I brush washed the whole thing with a 'grime' clay wash and removed it in such a way to allow it to sit in the recesses and leave some dirt streaking. Chipping was then applied by hand using a teeny weeny (technical term) brush and some dark iron paint.

The track pieces were airbrushed with buffable dark iron and when dry, the high spots were buffed. Rust pigment was brushed into the crevises (Ooo-err Missus):eek:

The cable on the cable drum is just weathered fuse wire wrapped around.

The whole lot was then dry brushed with Tamiya weathering light sand to highlight the edges.

Coats of matt varnish were applied in different amounts to different areas to give a variation in 'Mattness' (I'm sure that's not a real word) :D

I made some camo netting to scale and coloured it in desert shades. The retaining straps were made of lead wire which I rolled flat with a bottle of tamiya XF-1 and then shaped the straps around the netting and barrel. They were glued at the bottom with Gator Glue and painted in Dark Yellow. I think this adds a touch more realisms to the stark barrel.

Comments welcome.....:cool:

Last edited:
C

CDW

Bloody hell Graham, that outstanding paintwork!

Photography ain't too bad either .... You could do that for a living if you got a bit better :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: ;) he he he

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I do like that a lot.

Great work Graham.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Superb work Graham, coming along very nicely indeed

S

Scuff

I have managed to get the hull painted and weathered this week. The wheels are mostly finished, I'm just working through them progressively so that I dont get too fed up with them :D

Most of the fully working suspension is screwed on to the hull, and held in place with the covers. The usual Vallejo grey primer was laid down, and pre-shading was airbrushed with a combination of flat black and dark brown. This was followed by layered Tamiya dark yellow. A coat of Gloss sealed it all in.

A grime wash dirtied it up followed by subtle highlighting on some of the edges with tamiya weathering master light sand. The lot was then airbrushed with a matt varnish.

I finished off with some chipping applied by hand using MrMetalColor Dark Iron.

The last image shows the hull next to that of a Tamiya 1/35th scale Panther, just to give you an idea of the size of this 1/25th Centurion.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Cannot believe I chuffing missed this. Abso-bloody-lutely...amazing work Graham. The paint job is top notch, inside and out. Top builds for me in all aspects, cannot wait to see the finished article.

Si:smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

Occassionally we get to see a model that is put together as beautifully as this and it is simply a joy to watch. This isn't plastic modelling, it is art. Stunning weathering making the metalic surfaces perfectly realistic and colouring perfectly toned down to give us slightly bleached out paint work.

Wonderfull. It is a crying shame though that so much of the internal detail is not visible.

M

mobear

your attention to detailing the build is amazing,you tend to think of everything that might be involved with the weathering its cool mate

mobear

C

chris

Absolutly stunning work on this build, I hesitate to call it a model, the attention to detail and the paintwork or rather "artwork" is outstanding, as incidently is the phtography.

When we all start out in this glorious hobby we all dream of constructing the perfect build, well even though this is still under construction i would say that this is what we all are dreaming about!!

5 stars just doesn't seem enough.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Absolutly stunning work on this build, I hesitate to call it a model, the attention to detail and the paintwork or rather "artwork" is outstanding, as incidently is the phtography.When we all start out in this glorious hobby we all dream of constructing the perfect build, well even though this is still under construction i would say that this is what we all are dreaming about!!

5 stars just doesn't seem enough.
Spot on Chris, now if he wants it sunken and rusty as hell with growths all over it...I'm ya man :D but, this level of weathering is sublime and something to aspire to and savour...God I sound a right crawler :smiling3:

Si:smiling3:

S

Scuff

I'm blown away by your comments. Thank you all very much for your encouragement.