Changing to acrylics

S

spongtastic

I'm going to start changing over to acrylics from enamels, but will I be ok using both in transition?

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that a good question , im real not sure sorry no help , but will watch this one to lean some think

i know you can use enamels thinned down as a wash, over acrylics, but the other way i dont think so :confused:

D

dubster72

It depends how you'll use both paint types. As Monica said an enamel wash over acrylic is fine, as is an acrylic wash over enamel. The only problem comes from using the same type together & only then if sufficient time isn't allowed for the initial coat of paint to cure properly.

Hope this helps

Patrick

First Name
Aaron
Sweet... just let either cure before using the other.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I would try to use the acrylics over enamels wherever possible. The acrylics are very unlikely to cause problems on a properly dry and cured enamel, the other way around might not always work so well. I would certainly test before committing to a model.

Cheers

Steve

D

Deleted member 3568

I recently tried acrylics and maybe they are ok for washes but I will stick to enamels acrylics are so fragile maybe it's me being heavy handed but once painted with acrylics you can't handle them at all without the paint comingoff (well I can't anyway)there i've had my say, just call me Mr grumpy I guess.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I love acrylics and will never touch enamel again. You just have to leave them to cure so they harden. Surface preparation helps too, cleaning it down with ipa in my case then using a good primer (Vallejo) and leaving that to cure 24 hours first before your first base coat.

S

spongtastic

Cheers for the advice, will see how it goes. Now just to decide which ones to buy, oh for simpler days when all you had was Humbrol........

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
All my builds are painted in acrylic , they can be less durable and I use a clear coat to protect that , the only thing I have a problem with is gloss for some reason I can't get a decent cover or a smooth finish with gloss acrylic (but that's probably just me )

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Each to their own. I like enamels, you just have to be patient with the drying times and prepare the paint thoroughly.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
All my builds are painted in acrylic , they can be less durable and I use a clear coat to protect that , the only thing I have a problem with is gloss for some reason I can't get a decent cover or a smooth finish with gloss acrylic (but that's probably just me )
No it isn't. I find spraying acrylic gloss varnish difficult. My method, which is often successful, is to put the AB nozzle relatively closer to the part compared to paint, about 2 inches away. Otherwise a wet coat will not build and (I think) most of the varnish dries before contacting the model, sometimes leaving a dusty deposit.

D

dubster72

\ said:
No it isn't. I find spraying acrylic gloss varnish difficult. My method, which is often successful, is to put the AB nozzle relatively closer to the part compared to paint, about 2 inches away. Otherwise a wet coat will not build and (I think) most of the varnish dries before contacting the model, sometimes leaving a dusty deposit.
Steve & Alan, try adding a few drops of retarder to the gloss. I've found that helps with the tip-drying problem.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks for the info folks , dubster will this method work if you use the hairy stick ?

D

dubster72

Yeah it works either way, I've even found that basic screenwash will almost make Tamiya acrylics brushable!

Cheers Patrick

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Yeah it works either way, I've even found that basic screenwash will almost make Tamiya acrylics brushable!Cheers Patrick
Thanks for your help Patrick I appreciate it

S

spongtastic

Well have just discovered tamiya acrylics pull humbrol primer from old heller plastic even after a day to cure. But the tamiya paint is really nice to brush on.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Do you know that you can by a gloss medium that you can add to the flat acrylic? In effect you can have all the colours in your box as gloss finish as well.

I airbrush them from time to time but most of the time I just give a gloss varnish over the matt.

I think that if you are having problems with a good finish with brushed varnish you may be appliing to little varnish and brushing it out to much. I have found that as long you dont flood things so much that you get runs you can actually get away with quite a heavy coat. That way it can level out on its own.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Well have just discovered tamiya acrylics pull humbrol primer from old heller plastic even after a day to cure. But the tamiya paint is really nice to brush on.
My advice there would be my own system. Always try to use the same brand of paints and primer. Mind you I mostly use Alclad primer these days and have yet to find a paint that has any adverse affect on it.

Was the humbrol primer enamel or acrylic?

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Do you know that you can by a gloss medium that you can add to the flat acrylic? In effect you can have all the colours in your box as gloss finish as well.I airbrush them from time to time but most of the time I just give a gloss varnish over the matt.

I think that if you are having problems with a good finish with brushed varnish you may be appliing to little varnish and brushing it out to much. I have found that as long you dont flood things so much that you get runs you can actually get away with quite a heavy coat. That way it can level out on its own.

Ian M
Thanks for the tip Ian I'll bear that in mind :smiling3: