Childrens bead packs for model building.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Childrens bead packs of different sizes make great miniature bearings for our rubber jobs,cheap as chips they come sometimes in assortments,you will find all sorts of uses for these such as when you need to stop a sloppy wheel where it meets the axle bend,just place a bead onto the axle and capillery a dab of cyno,zap,job done.

Miniature prop shafts are another ideal application.

They run really smooth as well,they are a gift to modellers,go get them !

D

duncan

Lovely little things,saved me a lot of trouble when adding the very obvious rivets on the funnels ( OK, uptakes, for Naval types) of my model aircraft carrier. Masked a 3/16 gap on the lines ,smoothed on some 1hr epoxy and stuck the beads on between the masking tapes using needle to pick the little blighters up. Removed tape when epoxy firm but not cured. Looked weird ,all green,yellow ,reds until painted grey. Larger sizes were used for nav. lights and strobe anti collision lights on the 1/24th Airfix Harriers (converted to Sea Harriers) . Keep the tips coming Wonwing. Good stuff.:great:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Now you see how it works Duncan ?,you have given me some ideas there for my own models in the future.

For use in rivets stack them alongside a steel rule equi distant,press a piece of masking tape against the edge to pick them up in a line,apply a thin bead of epoxy as you say between more tape,just another way.

Use in conjunction with the scraperboard instrument panels mentioned elsewhere for small knobs,switches etc endless ideas.

You are most welcome Duncan,great to see some real modellers here that use any available items,that is where the fun comes in.

D

duncan

You are right , my Sea King radar domes (two types) are deodorant container caps,the u/c main strut curtain bottom flat oval plastic tube (B&Q) , side struts same smaller alloy. rotor blades poster hangers ( black plastic airfoil shape). Jesus bolt housing is teddy bear eye. Engine exhaust ,alloy felt-tip pen . That was a messy job even with and old pen. Of course large red glass bead anti collision lights. It is amazing what suddenly jumps out when browsing in Woolies or even Boots.

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Duncan how big is your aircraft carrier ? is it the one in the museum at the East Fortune museum and featured on Supermodels on the television,just a thought ? this is a huge model and complete with Sea King helicopters made from wood,magnificent beast.

D

duncan

Yep that is the one (31ft long, scale 1/24th, weight 1.2 ton, 5 hp Mercury). No longer at East Fortune,just wintered there one year. Had to move when Concorde came ! You can see it on page 6 of the Gallery of www.warshipmodelsunderway.com Fancy some deck landing practise ;) ? By the way the Sea Kings are F/glass mouldings, working on Merlin ,latest RN helicopter at moment.

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That is amazing ! a real shot in the dark but something just clicked,last time that I was at East Fortune was around 1970 when the museum was in its infancy,very impressive these days,so I take it that Concorde has arrived and being set up ?

Fancy kicking you out with a project like you have there,I have the video of the Supermodels on television somewhere and it will mean more to me the next time I see your model Duncan.

Yes I reckon that I could set down on your deck no problems,especially with my STOL Nanny which will land in a few feet,now that would be real fun !

D

duncan

Picture of Nanny pleeeeease. The flight deck is only 4ft wide. So far 20/24" styro bipes ,near indoor stuff seem best. I stretch a light garden net over deck on 1"sponge blocks . Tail hook instead of wheel. Not elegant landings but better than getting the plane wet going over the edge. Historicaly correct if Sopwith type used, a Pup was first ever carrier deck landing on a ship at sea (Scapa Flow). Its about 20% chance of success. Strangely take-off is harder. Thinking of sinking a guide rail along deck and up ski ramp, simple (glass bead !) roller on tail skid/hook might keep it tracking straight. East Fortune excellent now,even got two autogyros and two Comets , well one is a Komet. Did you you know that is where the first transatlantic flight took off from ?

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just been looking at the pictures of her,she is awesome Duncan ! the size is portrayed by yourself under the decks in control,I thought that some of my models were large but after seeing this one,I think that I remember seeing her many years ago when used for recruiting,I am sure that it is the same model ?

D

duncan

Yes it was used for that purpose originally , carried about on a Queen Mary low loader. Only a waterline model and a bit of a wreck when I got it but I was damned sure it wasnt going to be burned. Glad you like her.

A

adzam

i`ve put some pics up of her i found duncan, in another thread :smiling3:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am just wondering if this was made by Severn Lamb originally ? they are model builders from Stratford-on-Avon,when I visited the place many years ago they had all sorts of models under construction,one was a model of the channel tunnel long before it was made,that shows how many years ago it was !

Their workshop was fascinating,everything was done in house,designs,templates,machinery,painting the lot.

I will sort a Nanny picture out.

D

duncan

No, the model was made at Fleetlands RN base by apprentices. One of them left graffitti message in a most un-findable place (he thought) ..a swastika and "whoever finds this is a w...er " ! :ohno: