Choice of brush for acrylics

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just looked at the Greenstuffworld set. Seems a heck of a lot of money for what you get to be honest. They will only be repackaged from another supplier so you get the GSW mark up on them. I really would go for a couple of sets of the Royal Langnickel sets and try them initially. Once you find the shapes and sizes you like to use, replace them with better quality ones of the same shape and size when they wear out. Invest in some Masters brush cleaner as well, it really is as good as it gets.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Tim, I don't know enough about brushes to write a sensible review, so all I can say is that they're good enough for me, at a bargain price. I don't think they manufacture brushes themselves, but buy surplus stock from others. At the last Cosford show I bought a mixed pack of 50 brushes for £20. They seem to be better than the ones sold by The Works and similar shops, and at that price they have to be worth trying.
I'd love to see a review by one of the forum's more experienced hairy stick users - how about you Tim?
Pete

Reactions: JR

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm pretty sure ABC are more of a reseller than a manufacturer. I bought one of their variety packs some years ago and there were several different brands & types included.

Good if you want to try different brushes and see what suits you. I got a couple of the proarte 202 acrylix in my pack and really liked them so I've stuck to those for most things, with a few posh sables that I save for "best"

Edit: One thing I will add; when I started I was always trying to use the smallest possible brushes as I thought that was the way. After practice and reading the sage advice of our brush experts including Ron & Tim I'm now using the largest brush I can get away with.

Last edited: