Churchill Mk. IV AVRE with Small Box Girder Assault Bridge Mk. II

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
After adding more rust to the exhausts, by stippling various shades of brown with an old, thick brush, I could install the exhausts:

IMG_9902.jpeg

After that, I put on the tie rods for the wading ducts on the sides:

IMG_9903.jpeg

That required cutting them to length, after estimating how long that was, but fitting them into the turnbuckles I had glued to the hooks was a little tricky. Still, it worked in the end. They don’t attach to anything in the middle on my model, because there will be a little plate over the bit in the centre, but on the real thing, I think they attached to a little vertical rod on each side of the base thing, that AFV Club didn’t mould onto the part. The two rods to the rear duct will be fitted later, once the winch cage is on, because they need to go through that.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko

You definitely produce "talking point" models. I doubt this one has ever been built before ;)
If you mean this exact, particular tank, T68927, then I think you’re probably right :smiling3: I also kind of doubt many people have built a Churchill that has been properly waterproofed rather that just sticking ducts on, but part of me would like to be proven wrong on that.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Getting there Jakko.Im tempted to do some more Churchills.Definately a Canadian reworked Mark 1 at Dieppe.Also want to revisit a 1950s Iraqi army one which is different.
Looking good.
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I intend to build at least a fascine carrier at some point, with the fascine, as two of those were also used at Westkapelle. I wouldn’t mind more Churchills, but I’ve got so much else to do too, and I build so slowly …

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey that's looking good Jakko :cool:
.... Been a while since I checked in, but the progress is superb mate :thumb2:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I intend to build at least a fascine carrier at some point, with the fascine, as two of those were also used at Westkapelle. I wouldn’t mind more Churchills, but I’ve got so much else to do too, and I build so slowly …
Sounds cool Jakko.Im glad i bought some limited edition Irish Churchill decals a few years ago.The only snag would be getting a mark 4 kit with the postwar side armour mounts but i guess the AVRE mark 4 would have the bits and possibly the fascine carrier version?.Plus getting a 75mm gun to make it viable.
You cant be as slow as me mate.Ive got a French m4a2 Dragon made in 2013 still waiting for paint and an RAF phantom started in 1992!!!!.
Mr Snail pace.
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Blimey that's looking good Jakko :cool:
.... Been a while since I checked in, but the progress is superb mate :thumb2:

Im glad i bought some limited edition Irish Churchill decals a few years ago.The only snag would be getting a mark 4 kit with the postwar side armour mounts but i guess the AVRE mark 4 would have the bits and possibly the fascine carrier version?
Looking at the instructions on Scalemates, I think like all of AFV Club’s AVRE kits come with extra armour plates, on sprue L (that also has the mortar and other AVRE fittings) while the uparmoured doors are on sprue M, though IIRC the armour plates are not quite the style seen on this Irish tank:

Irish Army Churchill.jpg

I don’t think the big square bosses with bolt heads are included, but those are easy to make from some plastic card and punched bolt heads or something.

Plus getting a 75mm gun to make it viable.
Just buy AFV Club’s Mk. VI kit — the tank in the photo above is captioned as a Mk. VI on the site where I found it, not a Mk. IV. That kit doesn’t come with extra armour, though.

(It’s apparently a Mk. VI, anyway — there was a question on Missing-Lynx recently about how to tell them apart, but I don’t remember because the differences were so small :smiling3: I think it’s mainly a plate in the side of the turret, part Q4 in that kit, if you look at step 32 of the instructions. Which the tank in the picture doesn’t have … so maybe it’s a Mk. IV after all?)

You cant be as slow as me mate.Ive got a French m4a2 Dragon made in 2013 still waiting for paint and an RAF phantom started in 1992!!!!.
I don’t think I want to list all the models of the past 30 years or so that I started but never completed ;) It shouldn’t be too much longer before this AVRE is finished, though …

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard

Looking at the instructions on Scalemates, I think like all of AFV Club’s AVRE kits come with extra armour plates, on sprue L (that also has the mortar and other AVRE fittings) while the uparmoured doors are on sprue M, though IIRC the armour plates are not quite the style seen on this Irish tank:

View attachment 485788

I don’t think the big square bosses with bolt heads are included, but those are easy to make from some plastic card and punched bolt heads or something.

Just buy AFV Club’s Mk. VI kit — the tank in the photo above is captioned as a Mk. VI on the site where I found it, not a Mk. IV. That kit doesn’t come with extra armour, though.

(It’s apparently a Mk. VI, anyway — there was a question on Missing-Lynx recently about how to tell them apart, but I don’t remember because the differences were so small :smiling3: I think it’s mainly a plate in the side of the turret, part Q4 in that kit, if you look at step 32 of the instructions. Which the tank in the picture doesn’t have … so maybe it’s a Mk. IV after all?)

I don’t think I want to list all the models of the past 30 years or so that I started but never completed ;) It shouldn’t be too much longer before this AVRE is finished, though …

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jakko.
I managed to get a copy of Modelling the Churchill by Chris at Inside the armour and they do an Irish one!!!!.Had a quick look and they make the postwar stand off plates and add Meng bolts.The extra armour plates wouldnt be too bad to make if the mark v1 kit was used.They use the mark 1v with a QF 75mm gun.One to ponder and get kits etc for.
Cheers from Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think I have two sets of the extra armour, if so you could have one to stick onto your model. The spaced armour mounts are then simple enough by cutting some rectangles from plastic card and adding the bolt heads.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I think I have two sets of the extra armour, if so you could have one to stick onto your model. The spaced armour mounts are then simple enough by cutting some rectangles from plastic card and adding the bolt heads.
Thanks Jakko.Ive got a model show on 30th July so hoping to grab a Churchill or 2.
Cheers from Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
All of the tie rods are now on and painted, and also the winch cage and the little cover plate on the release mechanism in the middle of the engine deck:

IMG_9904.jpeg

The rods to the rear duct were easier to fit than I expected: you can push them through from the rear, hook them to the duct and then glue both ends into place. I had painted them brown first, because it will be very hard to paint the whole thing when it’s in place.

After the glue on all of this had dried, I added a darker wash and a lighter drybrush to the rods, to make sure they’re painted like the rest of the wading gear.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've just realised that I haven't commented on this yet even though I'm following every episode. Looking incredible!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks, and I’ve noticed your likes so your following the build was already appreciated :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Must have been a bit scary going into deep water for the first time , just hoping that the tape held .

Great build and as always full of history.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Must have been a bit scary going into deep water for the first time , just hoping that the tape held .
I think I would be nervous too — the manual doesn’t say to actually test the waterproofing, it just assumes the crew does the work correctly …

Great build and as always full of history.
Then I have some more for you, about that waterproofing :smiling3: Of the 14 tanks landed at Westkapelle on 1 November 1944, only four or perhaps five didn’t drown … However, none drowned in coming ashore — the rest got stuck on the remains of the dyke and, despite frantic efforts to tow them out with other tanks and armoured bulldozers, drowned when the tide rose too high.

For example, from the war diary of 87 Assault Squadron, Royal Engineers:
TWO TROOP, ASRE [replaced by “87 Aslt Sqn”]
[“(A2A)” added in pencil]
1st Nov Wednesday2C (A2) and 2E (A2A) left OSTENDE in LCT 757 (sic) at 0015 hrs. LCT also carried 2 Flails, one gun tank commanded by Major Pocock, and a bulldozer. These vehs comprised Bramble Lane and the crafts were due to touch down immediately after similarly loaded LCTs carrying Cherry and Damson Lanes had beached. LCTs carrying Cherry and Damson were hit and stood off to check up on damage.
Damson Lane (Lt Martin) returned to OSTENDE without beaching. Bramble touched down first at approx 1000 hrs and was followed by Apple and Cherry. A2 bogged immediately it left LCT. Two Flails and Comd Flail (sic) left LCT followed by Bulldozer and A2A with Bridge. Beach was very soft and muddy and only the following vehs got ashore:- 4 Flails, 2 AVsRE & 1 Bulldozer. These vehs moved to area of Tower at Westkapelle and did no fighting. Bulldozer used to clear a path to tower. Two of the four Flails were drowned during high tide at night.
It says LCT 757, but that should be 737, which carried assault group Bramble (though the Royal Engineers consistently talk about “lanes” where 1 Lothians and Border Yeomanry, who supplied the Crabs and Sherman command tanks, refer to “assault groups”).

The same war diary also has this report from assault group Apple, carried in LCT 1005:
Wed 1st Nov 44We were scheduled to touch down at WESTKAPELLE at 0945 hrs, one hour after low tide, but our craft went to the assistance DAMSON craft on which a fascine had caught fire. AVRE crews manned the hoses on our craft but owing to the state of the hoses put more water on themselves than on the fascine. Craft touched down at 1100 hrs and leading flail went ashore, and immediately bogged on soft clay. Craft drew off and came back in, ten yards to North of bogged flails. The other 2 flails went off and also bogged. Realized that ground on which ramp was touching was no used for landing. Brought forward bridge AVRE and dropped bridged from ramp of LCT on to what I thought looked like hard ground some 25’ from ship. This ground was misleading as AVRE after running over bridge bogged in it. Fascine AVRE thinking we had got on to solid ground came on to bridge and LCT backed away. Bulldozer was unable to start and did not come off the craft. After unsuccessful efforts to get A2B out of the clay called forward A2A to tow it out. Nearest A2A could approach because of tide was 30 yds and by time tow ropes were found and coupled up the waves were washing in through the turret of A2B. As I feared for safety of driver I gave orders to abandon the effort and we swam ashore with what kit we could carry. The conduct of Spr Rampley during this stage merits recognition. Standing up to shoulders in water and during all the mortaring he helped me couple up tow ropes with a coolness that set an example to the remainder of the crew. The two crews being soaked to the skin the first consideration was shelter and a fire. This we got in one of the houses in the village. At low tide we went back to the AV’sRE to salvage kit and food. Spent night in house.
The bridge AVRE referred to above is not T68927, number A2A, that I’m building, but A2B (the “me” is Lt. J C Ramsay of the Royal Engineers). Just the other day, I came across this picture, that I had never seen before, in a Canadian movie news report about the landings:

LCT 1005 with bogged tanks at Westkapelle.jpg

Visible there is LCT 1005, the SBG bridge lying from its bow ramp is clearly visible, as are the two Crabs bogged down this side of it and one behind; AVRE A2B was either to the right of the picture or still inside the LCT, and in either case, A2C (“fascine AVRE” in the report) is also inside the LCT at this point, because it got stuck on the bridge after landing.

Notice the report mentions A2A as being used to try and tow others free. It ended its war a bit higher up on the “beach” but never did make it into the village, but it’s not clear to me why. It doesn’t look like it got stuck, but maybe it did, just not as badly as the others?

That is amazing work. Love the tracks - the detail!! Mind you, all of the detail is stunning.
Thanks. Pretty much all of it is straight from the box — the only parts I replaced for being overscale, were the tie rods and hooks for the wading ducts. AFV Club kits all have very fine details, though that also makes them harder to build than many other brands.